What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

Those LG's will shave your legs pretty well! I kid...or do I :lol: I actually did hear they shave quite well and my wife really likes hers. You may want to rock the Fat Boy first though. Make sure you look into getting some NEWs as well.

Those LG's will shave your legs pretty well! I kid...or do I :lol: I actually did hear they shave quite well and my wife really likes hers. You may want to rock the Fat Boy first though. Make sure you look into getting some NEWs as well.

I learned to wet shave with my Merkur 34c. Like it a lot. Not very aggressive. Inexpensive. Does the trick. I have not used the LG yet... It doesn't even appear to have been used. The fat boys have been used... slightly more difficult to use than my 34c. It is an adjustment. Works well though. I will definitely continue adding to my collection.

... Getting back to NEWs ... :001_rolle

I was in a big hurry to get out the door this morning. Although I pretty much believe that it is impossible to get a good shave without using a brush and proper soap/cream, I nonetheless eschewed the brush and soap for some Cremo cream. Armed with a UK RFB NEW, I gave myself a very quick shave. The result was a very passable DFS. So, in addition to all of its other wonderful attributes, the RFB is also versatile and forgiving.
Of course, Cremo also deserves some credit for being astonishingly slick.

Here's my latest addition to the family: an English NEW, though not an RFB despite being described as such in the eBay listing. Haven't shaved with it yet, but it'll be interesting to compare it to my American SC and LC (I'm already surprised by how much thinner the handle is). Anyone know what this particular English NEW would be called?

$IMG_4472.jpg$IMG_4473.jpg

Thanks guys! How does the shave of the flat bottom compare to the raised flat bottom? Is it a subtle difference?

Not so subtle, IMO.

The Flat Bottoms are very nice shavers, smooth and efficient. But the RFBs are noticeably more efficient and still very smooth.
It's definitely worth getting one. They're a bit expensive, but well worth the money.

At least one person prefers the FB to the RFB. Yes, me.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I use my FB with a BRW Bull Mastiff handle, which adds quite a bit of weight. My only RFB is a two-piece model, so I can only use the original handle with it.

Last edited:

I'm sure you're not the only one. Chris and Gagarin also prefer the Flat Bottoms, I'm sure there's others. :thumbup1:

To be clear, I love the Flat Bottom NEWs, I only have 3 NEWs in the bathroom and one of them is a FB.

But I prefer RFBs and Deluxes.

My favorite shaver is a 7 o'clock flat bottom with the same double gap knurled handle. I like all the NEWs, but that shave just stands out.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I use my FB with a BRW Bull Mastiff handle, which adds quite a bit of weight. My only RFB is a two-piece model, so I can only use the original handle with it.

I would recommend trying a 3 piece RFB to obtain a true comparison ...

I'm sure you're not the only one. Chris and Gagarin also prefer the Flat Bottoms, I'm sure there's others. :thumbup1:

I'm claiming credit for converting Gagarin to the RFB ...
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-favorite-Gillette-NEW?p=7025272#post7025272

Just got the email and pics from Nick letting me know my RFB is on its way home from a nickel and rhodium bath at the spa.

Can't wait to get it, it's my daily driver.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421720893.444672.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421720906.893261.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421720919.076405.jpg

Top Bottom