What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

I didn't find substantial difference measuring the inner teeth space, the biggest difference was 0.17 ... George apparently found a much bigger difference, almost 1mm. This may be related to small thickness differences, not sure how that affects the shave, if at all.

Anyway, regarding the base plate width I was talking about, this was the second biggest difference I have found ( the widest plate is the US style made in England, but I excluded that one).

This is my workhorse, a Twin Pin:

$CAM01286.jpg
$CAM01287.jpg

And a Round Pins:

$CAM01290.jpg
$CAM01291.jpg

Notice how the caps are the exact same width, but the base plate of the Round Pins is 0.36mm wider. This difference added to the YMMV thing, may be responsible for the different perceptions we all have of these razors, even concerning models that are supposed to be the same thing.

Last edited:
And now just as a btw, I have been mentioning from time to time how I really love my Gardette, and how I find it so similar to the NEWs. Well, since I was measuring I decided to measure it too, and compare it to the English flat bottoms.

The caps width is approximately the same as the average flat bottom NEW, but the base plate is slightly narrower. But the similarities are so obvious ...

$CAM01294.jpg
$CAM01297.jpg
$CAM01295.jpg
$CAM01296.jpg

What do you think? Would this be enough to say the Gardette is the English Flat Bottom's French cousin?

For the first time in B&B's history a member may have convinced a fellow B&Ber to not buy a razor.

The 15mm, IMO, is a engineering mistake. For me, it is rougher but not measurably more effective than the 17mm.

I see what you did there. You conveniently left out the rest of my post!

Only when paired with the British tabless cap is it transformed into an enjoyable shaving tool.

BTW, my enabling is just getting warmed up.:001_tt2:
I used the 15mm and the tabless cap again this morning. The transformation is remarkable. The shave was so good it is triggering an existential crisis:
Is the 15mm frankenrazor more aggressive than my cherished British RFB razors but just as smooth? :scared:

Perhaps it is time for me to calm down and re-establish my all-too-tenuous grip on reality. At a minimum, however, it is a fun experiment to try the 15mm with the original cap and then with the British tabless cap. I never would have believed that it could make such a big difference.

... apparently the 17mm is unanimously considered better ...
There is no such thing as unanimity when it comes to shaving, but the fact that there are so many 17mm razors extant compared to 15mm examples leads me to believe that men back in the 30's vastly preferred the former over the latter. Those men were wise.
Anyway, I am sure you will love your 17mm NEW Deluxe even with its original cap.
FWIW, here is a pic of my 15mm frankenrazor:
$P1020687.jpg

The other thing I noted was that the inner teeth were noticably narrower on one (0.039", 0.99mm) than the other (0.052", 1.32mm).

Cheers, George

I didn't find substantial difference measuring the inner teeth space, the biggest difference was 0.17 ... George apparently found a much bigger difference, almost 1mm. This may be related to small thickness differences, not sure how that affects the shave, if at all.

Anyway, regarding the base plate width I was talking about, this was the second biggest difference I have found ( the widest plate is the US style made in England, but I excluded that one).

This is my workhorse, a Twin Pin:

View attachment 476716
View attachment 476717

And a Round Pins:

View attachment 476718
View attachment 476719

Notice how the caps are the exact same width, but the base plate of the Round Pins is 0.36mm wider. This difference added to the YMMV thing, may be responsible for the different perceptions we all have of these razors, even concerning models that are supposed to be the same thing.

Edgar,

The difference in inner teeth width was actually only 0.33mm. Here is a visual:

$NEW1.JPG

I have just put the micrometer over my RFBs and the Twin pin measured 24.87mm across the teeth, the #88 measured 24.99mm. The 2 flat bottoms that I measured yesterday both measured 25.50mm.

Makes for interesting comparison with your measurements.

Hey guys. I'm too lazy to look through all the posts to see if anyone has put up a picture of this so I'll just ask. Do any of you fine gentlemen happen to know if an ATT Atlas handle fits on one of the common US made NEW Long Combs? I'm looking to get this handle and, since I primarily use the NEW, I wanted to make sure it will fit. I'm guessing it does.

Thanks in advance,

Hey guys. I'm too lazy to look through all the posts to see if anyone has put up a picture of this so I'll just ask. Do any of you fine gentlemen happen to know if an ATT Atlas handle fits on one of the common US made NEW Long Combs? I'm looking to get this handle and, since I primarily use the NEW, I wanted to make sure it will fit. I'm guessing it does.

Thanks in advance,
I'm guessing it does too. Or should I say I'm hoping it works cause I want one too.
Hey Cosmos, I seen that ikon has the tuckaway SS handles like yours.

I'm guessing it does too. Or should I say I'm hoping it works cause I want one too.
Hey Cosmos, I seen that ikon has the tuckaway SS handles like yours.

Yeah, they've re-released them. You should get one. I know iKon sucks and all the other blah blah blah, but it is a really great handle and fun to shave with. It's heavy for a little guy.

I've grown tired of the Bulldog and would like to change up to the Atlas. If it doesn't work, I can always move it on the BST. Just thought I'd see if anyone has tried this combo yet first.

Thanks in advance,
I'm pretty sure the website says it fits most vintage Gillettes, but to be sure, send Stan a PM, or repost your question in the BOTOC thread.

Thanks in advance,

It depends on what you mean by "fit." The Atlas will work just fine, but there will be a tiny gap at the very top because the NEW LC has a very narrow opening in the middle of that center bump. The top of the Atlas handle has a lip that makes it too big to fit in that narrow opening. It has never bothered me, however. I just put the handle on and go to work. Very few handles, other than the stock ones and a few custom-made ones, will fit in the NEW opening, but most of them can nonetheless be used without any problems.

Thanks in advance,

The Atlas handle will work just fine, but there will be a tiny gap at the very top because the Atlas will not fit perfectly in that narrow opening in the middle of the NEW center bump. Does that make sense?

Thanks everyone. I emailed Stan. He says it will fit. I ordered one, so we'll see how it fits on mine. I have a feeling that my NEW heads are of the wider gap variety. I have two different heads, and they both appear to be over 10mm gaps. We shall see when it gets here. Judging by what I've seen and heard online, I'm really going to like this handle even if it doesn't fit as snug as some of my others.

Long live the NEW!!!

The Atlas handle will work just fine, but there will be a tiny gap at the very top because the Atlas will not fit perfectly in that narrow opening in the middle of the NEW center bump. Does that make sense?
Doc, this is what I did to solve that problem.
$IMG_20140808_073752.jpg

Clear as mud I'd say ... :lol:
Seriously, what Doc is saying is that the opening is narrower on some NEWs ...

That is not at all what I meant to say, but perhaps it is what I should have said!

Thanks everyone. I emailed Stan. He says it will fit. I ordered one, so we'll see how it fits on mine. I have a feeling that my NEW heads are of the wider gap variety. I have two different heads, and they both appear to be over 10mm gaps. We shall see when it gets here. Judging by what I've seen and heard online, I'm really going to like this handle even if it doesn't fit as snug as some of my others.

The lip at the top of an Atlas Handle is roughly 9.6mm, so it will in fact fit on the wider gap model (10mm). I tested it to make sure. However, it will not fit on the narrower gap model (which is about 8.5mm).

Doc, this is what I did to solve that problem.
View attachment 481604

As this picture shows, it does not matter if you have the 10mm or 8.5mm gap on your baseplate because you can just use a washer, as drifter did. I simply put the handle on and don't worry about it, but drifter's idea is better.
Is that clear enough?

Top Bottom