What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414801252.814845.jpg

Just got a Weber handle for my RFB. I took it for a spin this afternoon and it was AWESOME. I had only shaved with the RFB about 5-6 times with it's regular handle, and this shave was much better. I think this has now passed up my #77 as my favorite razor.

I know that some people prefer the regular gillette handles, but this heavier handle just seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I can hardly wait to shave with it again.

One question, Paul.
Does the lid of your case look like this:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1941 (L2 on blade) NEW with Tech handle England.JPG

Or like this:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1945 (P2 on blade) NEW No77 thin Tech handle.JPG

That is the regular Fat Handle, or the Thin Tech one?

Mine is like the second one with the flat top box and the thin handle. My blade cases look differant tho. Posting more pictures to help with questions.

$016.jpg

$017.jpg
$019.jpg

and yes (to answer DrAwkwards question) the barber pole handle is from Elite Razor

Last edited:
Cool! Then it's the 3 piece #77 set. :thumbsup:

The blade sleeves don't match, but that doesn't matter at all, variations are the norm with Gillette. :001_smile I'm not sure but I think one of my 2 piece #77 sets has blade sleeves like yours.

Congrats on a fine set, and I like the Elite Razors handle too, pretty cool.

Last edited:
Cool! Then it's the 3 piece #77 set. :thumbsup:

The blade sleeves don't match, but that doesn't matter at all, variations are the norm with Gillette. :001_smile I'm not sure but I think one of my 2 piece #77 sets has blade sleeves like yours.

Congrats on a fine set, and I like the Elite Razors handle too, pretty cool.

Thank you, I think it looks cooler every time I look at it. I feel like a proud father! Can hardly wait to shave with it, I shaved last night but plan to wait tell Sunday mourning if I can to give it a good test run.

P.S. The Wardonia pictures are up on The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

+1

My Deluxe New arrived yesterday.

I've hit the point recently that every time I get a "better" razor, the results are always only a slight margin better. This is mostly been my experience with Fatboys, Slims, and Black Beauties, and then later with the OC Aristocrats (US vs UK) etc.

My LC US New with the lead stuffed Bar Handle is a damn fine shaver. Same can be said for my #77. The New Deluxe..... Wow.

I'm glad I took the advice here and grabbed one of these. 90% of the plating is gone, but I love the look of it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414864015.324558.jpg

For my second shave I decided to stuff three 2" strips of lead solder in the handle. It made this phenomenal razor just a smidge better. I think I'll seal up the ends with silicone and call it good.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414864118.707455.jpg

The NEW Deluxe is a darn fine shaver. I am especially fond of my Deluxe Tuckaway that can be used with a modern stainless handle. It is probably the most aggressive NEW, so it's not for everyone, but I definitely like mine.
The best US-made NEW, in my opinion.

The NEW Deluxe is a darn fine shaver. I am especially fond of my Deluxe Tuckaway that can be used with a modern stainless handle. It is probably the most aggressive NEW, so it's not for everyone, but I definitely like mine.
The best US-made NEW, in my opinion.

+1

:thumbsup:

The range of responses to the various NEW's is interesting. In my experience, this is how they rank in aggressiveness, from most to least (I love them all):
  • English Flat Bottom
  • U.S. Long Comb
  • Deluxe
  • English Raised Flat Bottom
  • U.S. Short Comb

My favorite is the English Flat bottom. I find it to just edge out the U.S. long comb, and it's both smooth and efficient. The bottom three on my list I find to be a bit milder than I prefer.

Not sure quite why, though my iKon 2010 OC Deluxe LE is modeled after the NEW Deluxe, it's my absolute best-shaving razor, surpassing all my stable of NEW's. Though very smooth, the whiskers seem to magically melt when I use it.

I've never tried a magical English Goodwill though.......

Last edited:
Gagarin, it's funny, my list looks almost identical to yours but in reverse order. Not only that, our favorite vintage and modern versions of the well-versed NEW are also the same.

hey, uhh, sorry to disrupt the conversations, but been wondering something about my NEW. how come this one doesnt have Gillette at the top of the handle, and also has no patent info at the bottom.

$#88.PNG

thanks for reply edgar. been thinking of letting it go, but then i kinda liked it a bit more with the handle plain like that. was hoping maybe later down the road i could find another one like it, but in better shape. these things are getting harder to find though. oh and any word on who scored that no. 45 last night?

thanks for reply edgar. been thinking of letting it go, but then i kinda liked it a bit more with the handle plain like that. was hoping maybe later down the road i could find another one like it, but in better shape. these things are getting harder to find though. oh and any word on who scored that no. 45 last night?

The #45 was sold today. :tongue_smNo idea who bought it though.

The other #77 I have has the logo btw, but to compensate, it has nearly no plating left... :lol:

Btw ... you're kidding about the plating, right? The plating on the handle is all there, the head doesn't look bad either...

... clearly you haven't seen a razor with NO plating, I'll see if I have a picture of my ugly one. :biggrin:

Top Bottom