What's new

Ye Olde of Straight Razor Shaving, Jzuzphreek

I'm at work, so I can finally use a keyboard to type.

The first thing I noticed is that my Schick Injector has made me super shaving lazy. My lather was lazy, my technique was lazy. The only saving grace is that I showered first. The VEG definitely let me know it's been a few months since using a straight. Weirdly enough, this Herfarth Bros razor is the only one I've ever used with no jimps. Weird huh? I'm pretty sure I prefer jimps. Any way. 3 passes, SAS. That just means I'll get to shave again tonight, instead of having to wait till tomorrow!

So you are going to go with a second shave in the same day after a rough on the skin shave in the morning? Braver man than I... :lol:

So you are going to go with a second shave in the same day after a rough on the skin shave in the morning? Braver man than I... :lol:

Sorry no... that shave was last night. It'll be 24 hours. I should be good to go. My skin already feels fine. I wouldn't necessarily want to do an ATG with a Derby on it... but by tonight I'll be good. Don't forget, I'm a vampire shaver. We do it in the dark.

Ah, ok, I forgot that vampire part. :)

BTW, people actually shave with Derby blades? ATG or otherwise? I thought they were only useful for scraping glue spots off of the good blades... hehe

So Easter Eve, I was able to shave with the second razor Obiwan worked for me! The difference between the two razors was night and day! The Edward H. Erk was so smooth compared to the Herfarth bros. I'm really hopeful that the Erk was the one he did on the Jnat, because they seem way more fun and interesting to me than Coticules.

Please accept my apologies... both people who will read this... on my long update sequestration. I just haven't had much to write about. However, I received a quite unexpected, yet much appreciated gift from KJ (TheVez) earlier this month. It was a Weck Shavette, Personna blades, and a Vie Long Horsehair brush!!!

Since I received it, I've used the Weck 4 times (and my son used it once, sans blade, because he wanted to shave like Daddy!) and have begun developing some opinions on it.

1) The ease of use and much lower required maintenance (compared to traditional straights) is the biggest "pro" about this razor. Shaving the way I like, without having to strop, and without wondering when I'll need to send it off to a honemeister provides a great peace of mind!

2) Personna blades are VERY unforgiving. Since I started shaving with a straight, I can count the number of nicks/weepers/cuts/gills I've given myself without having to take my shoes off. With the Weck/Personna, my chin has never been bloodier. I'm not sure why there's such a difference, but I consistently get the angles wrong, and always seem to be able to slice that spot where the chin starts to stick out.

3) It's lighter than I like a straight to be, but I don't mind too much. I like to let the straight do some of the work. With the Weck, I'm in total control... and that's not always a good thing.

I'll continue to use the Weck until I'm out of blades, and try to learn it better. I think I can learn to get comfortable shaves out of it, and I'd be interested to know if there are alternative blades (I've never liked the various DE Personnas I've tried) that could make this a better fit for me.

Later this week, or next I'll update my excel Journal with my number of Straight shaves. When I started my "how many combinations" spreadsheet, that Kind of took over my journaling efforts. I'm still keeping track, just in a completely different way. I think I'm at 51, but I may have missed a few after sending them off and receiving them back from David.

Shavettes in general are way less forgiving, no matter the brand of blade you are using in them. Most of my worst cuts/nicks have also come from shavettes. Once you get them dialed in, though, they provide just spectacular shaves, without any real maintenance, if that is something that keeps one form using a straight razor.

I gave the Weck a more thorough walk-through with the guard attached. It was much less rough, but there was no less blood-letting than usual. Part of it though was because of a pimple or something near my lip. I actually found the shave much more comfortable than normal though.

So... it's been a minute since I've last posted in my journal.

I'm still shaving periodically with my straights. Just lost interest in recording them. I also haven't added anything special to my lineup. Although, I am interested in a new strop, maybe a Big Daddy or a Tony Miller Vanilla... something nice but inexpensive.

I have noticed, when stropping one particular blade, on the stroke pulling towards myself, the tip bites at the strop a little bit. I think I probably need to send it for a fresh honing.

I really like my Big Daddy strop, for what it's worth. Great quality at a very fair price. It also definitely sounds like the tip got slightly rolled at some point, so I'd not strop that one anymore till after a fresh edge gets fixed onto it. :)

I really like my Big Daddy strop, for what it's worth. Great quality at a very fair price. It also definitely sounds like the tip got slightly rolled at some point, so I'd not strop that one anymore till after a fresh edge gets fixed onto it. :)

Wow!!! People still read this? I was pretty sure I'd only be typing to myself. :tongue_sm

Thanks for the advice Dustin. I'm finally getting back to posting. And it feels good.

I don't unsubscribe to very many threads, so if there is new activity on a thread, even if it's been years, it pops up a notification for me. :)

Glad to see you still around. I've not been posting all that much the last few weeks either, and I'm working on getting back into it as well.

I don't unsubscribe to very many threads, so if there is new activity on a thread, even if it's been years, it pops up a notification for me. :)

Glad to see you still around. I've not been posting all that much the last few weeks either, and I'm working on getting back into it as well.

If I can motivate myself to be more active, I might even let the Big Foot know I'm back... being badgeless makes me sad.

Top Bottom