What's new

Smell of soap VS smell of cream

I had a mildly disappointing experience with this.
I was in a shop looking at the different shave products they had, knowing that I was going to drop some coin on my first "real" (read non-pharmacy acquired) shave soap. I had spare money to blow and wanted something nice.
All of the Truffits and Trumpers were behind the counter so I asked the associate to let me smell some of the Trumper's almond. It was just what I was looking for, bright, almondy, kind of reminiscent of marzipan. At this point I asked him to pack me up a puck of the soap and rung up the rest of my order, along with some Col. Conk's lime.

I didn't realize that there was such a different between the smell of the cream and the soap. Turns out that the soap is a much... soapier, floral smell, I slightly expected it, but I can barely smell the almond at all. Disappointing as far as the smell goes, but the feel and lather of the quality soap made up for it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or did I get a fluke packaging error?

I had a mildly disappointing experience with this.
I was in a shop looking at the different shave products they had, knowing that I was going to drop some coin on my first "real" (read non-pharmacy acquired) shave soap. I had spare money to blow and wanted something nice.
All of the Truffits and Trumpers were behind the counter so I asked the associate to let me smell some of the Trumper's almond. It was just what I was looking for, bright, almondy, kind of reminiscent of marzipan. At this point I asked him to pack me up a puck of the soap and rung up the rest of my order, along with some Col. Conk's lime.

I didn't realize that there was such a different between the smell of the cream and the soap. Turns out that the soap is a much... soapier, floral smell, I slightly expected it, but I can barely smell the almond at all. Disappointing as far as the smell goes, but the feel and lather of the quality soap made up for it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or did I get a fluke packaging error?

not at all surprising. the soaps and creams from the same brands can have totally different scent formulas and are likely not manufactured by the same company.

You should just enjoy the soap for what it is, as I hear it's great, and treat yourself to a more marzipanny cream, like TOBS, toi scratch that particular itch. Col. Conk almond soap is very cheap and VERY cherry/marzipan if you want a sweet soap (typically the creams are more marzipanny than the soaps). And by the way, Valobra Almond putty (I use it as a soap) is pretty cheap and has an awesome marzipan smell and performs very well to boot.

not at all surprising. the soaps and creams from the same brands can have totally different scent formulas and are likely not manufactured by the same company.

You should just enjoy the soap for what it is, as I hear it's great, and treat yourself to a more marzipanny cream, like TOBS, toi scratch that particular itch. Col. Conk almond soap is very cheap and VERY cherry/marzipan if you want a sweet soap (typically the creams are more marzipanny than the soaps). And by the way, Valobra Almond putty (I use it as a soap) is pretty cheap and has an awesome marzipan smell and performs very well to boot.
Yeah, Conk's Almond is my next planned purchase.

I've been on an almond kick. I have

1. C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap - love it, great smell, with nice sweet overtone
2. C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream - like it ok, no discernible sweet smell to my nose
3. TOBS Almond Cream - awesome marzipan smell, very nice fresh cream
4. Valobra Almond Putty - totally adictive - dry sweet understated marzipan
5. Col. Conk Almond Soap - BAM! in your face chemically marachino cherry almond smell, close shave, not great moisturization - you can tell it's cheaper but man you just want to eat it up!
6. GFT almond cream - tried samples, very nice, I like TOBS more though.

G

gregory

Hello,
I received today the Trumper Almond Soap and I've the same problem. This thing doesn't smell almond at all comparing to the cream.
I was also thinking about a packaging error, the color of this soap is very close to rose. And for you ?
Will never order any soap form Trumper again :bored:...

Hello,
I received today the Trumper Almond Soap and I've the same problem. This thing doesn't smell almond at all comparing to the cream.
I was also thinking about a packaging error, the color of this soap is very close to rose. And for you ?
Will never order any soap form Trumper again :bored:...

You got the right one...it is a reddish color. The scent is kind of meh, but the soap works very well. The Rose, Sandalwood, Coconut, Violet and Lime smell better IMO and provide a great shave as well.

I've been on an almond kick. I have

1. C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap - love it, great smell, with nice sweet overtone
2. C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream - like it ok, no discernible sweet smell to my nose
3. TOBS Almond Cream - awesome marzipan smell, very nice fresh cream
4. Valobra Almond Putty - totally adictive - dry sweet understated marzipan
5. Col. Conk Almond Soap - BAM! in your face chemically marachino cherry almond smell, close shave, not great moisturization - you can tell it's cheaper but man you just want to eat it up!
6. GFT almond cream - tried samples, very nice, I like TOBS more though.

You should pick up the Harris Almond SC and SS. If you like the ToOBS, you will like the Harris cream as well. The soap is a bit drier and more floral. Both top notch products.

QED tea tree oil, hated the smell at first, now i love it,
the smell of shea butter is a bit annoying, so institute karite is a bit annoying,
but i absolulty HATE the smell of the body shop cream, it makes great superlather, but i hate the smell,

You should pick up the Harris Almond SC and SS. If you like the ToOBS, you will like the Harris cream as well. The soap is a bit drier and more floral. Both top notch products.

I got the DRHarris Almond Soap. Hated it at first but quite like it now - I think it had too much oil at the top or something because at first it literally hurt my nose to smell it, but it diluted to a nice crisp smell after being lathered a few times. Totally different from the cherry almond stuff.

Just bought a tube of GFT almond cream - totally dig it - seems similar to TOBS cream.

DRHarris almond SC is next on my list! Then T&H at some point, but definitely DRHarris first.

Having used quite a few almond soaps and creams, I feel that my understanding of 'true almond' has changed over time. Trumper and Harris and C&E soap and cream smell different from the marzipan model scent (say, GFT cream), they definitely contain more florals and are designed around a raw almond core. I like the marzipan stuff, but the more complex almond fragrances make my shave more interesting.

As for GFT and Harris almond soap, these are two of the great classics. I believe the GFT recipe dates back to at least 1900, while the Harris is from the 1920's. Both are classic understated gentleman's soap scents IMO.

Having used quite a few almond soaps and creams, I feel that my understanding of 'true almond' has changed over time. Trumper and Harris and C&E soap and cream smell different from the marzipan model scent (say, GFT cream), they definitely contain more florals and are designed around a raw almond core. I like the marzipan stuff, but the more complex almond fragrances make my shave more interesting.

As for GFT and Harris almond soap, these are two of the great classics. I believe the GFT recipe dates back to at least 1900, while the Harris is from the 1920's. Both are classic understated gentleman's soap scents IMO.

OKOK, the GFT soap is on my list too now, dangit! As a fellow almond addict, what do you think of the following - to me, it seems like the C&E SAO Soap does have a tiny sweet marzipannish note to it [nothing like the Valobra, Conk or the sweet creams, but still something], which the C&E SAO Cream doesn't have at all.

Generally, creams seem to be a better vehicle for carrying scents - in my experience anyway. Soap always has that soapy smell in the background (that’s not a bad thing) and how the maker deals with that is what makes a good smelling soap. YMMV

Jordan

OKOK, the GFT soap is on my list too now, dangit! As a fellow almond addict, what do you think of the following - to me, it seems like the C&E SAO Soap does have a tiny sweet marzipannish note to it [nothing like the Valobra, Conk or the sweet creams, but still something], which the C&E SAO Cream doesn't have at all.

I agree: C&E soap is a little sweeter and soapier in smell, while their cream has a stronger floral note (+/- lilacs). To my nose, the cream is just raw almonds, very nice and not girlish at all.

At least in my experience, creams and glycerine soaps seem to have the strongest scents, while triple milled soaps don't usually have a scent that's quite as strong.

There are, of course, exceptions to this (eg, tabac, Floris, Penhaligons and I'm sure a few otheres), but for the most part I find my glycerine soaps to have a stronger scent than the hard mill soaps that I have in the same scent.

QED, mama bear, Ogallala bay rum,and Honeybee Spa all come to mind if you're looking for a nice strongly scented soap.

Top Bottom