What's new

I rest my face.

Or I feel I need to, but I am not sure if that is advisable or exactly how to do it.

I have completed two DE shaves (one per day the past two days), using a beautiful Edwin Jagger DE89 in Barley Chrome and a Derby blade.

And my face hurts.

Possible options:
a. Move to a sharper blade, like a BIC, so I don't do so many passes.
b. Take a day off from shaving of any kind.
c. Go back to my Gilette Fusion for a day.
d. Keep enduring; things are going to get easier
e. Other ideas?

I will keep working on blade angle, and avoiding applying pressure. I believe these are my problems.

My face looks OK, but it just feels raw. Razor burn? A few more details:

I clean my face first, then slap some cream or soap on it, then hold a hot towel to it for a few minutes, then apply Proraso pre-shave cream. Then I use an Omega Pro 49 boar brush to apply VDH soap (taking about 2 minutes to get some slippery smooth thick froth in a bowl first).

I have normal to slightly sensitive skin, and my beard is medium toughness.

Open to any advice or encouragement. Thanks so much to all of you on these forums; you have been so helpful. So I am trying my first post...

Regards,
Jonathan

Last edited:
Or I feel I need to, but I am not sure if that is advisable or exactly how to do it.

I have completed two DE shaves (one per day the past two days), using a beautiful Edwin Jagger DE89 in Barley Chrome and a Derby blade.

And my face hurts.

Possible options:
a. Move to a sharper blade, like a BIC, so I don't do so many passes.
b. Take a day off from shaving of any kind.
c. Go back to my Gilette Fusion for a day.
d. Keep enduring; things are going to get easier
e. Other ideas?

I will keep working on blade angle, and avoiding applying pressure. I believe these are my problems.

My face looks OK, but it just feels raw. Razor burn? A few more details:

I clean my face first, then slap some cream or soap on it, then hold a hot towel to it for a few minutes, then apply Proraso pre-shave cream. Then I use an Omega Pro 49 boar brush to apply VDH soap (taking about 2 minutes to get some slippery smooth thick froth in a bowl first).

I have normal to slightly sensitive skin, and my beard is medium toughness.

Open to any advice or encouragement. Thanks so much to all of you on these forums; you have been so helpful. So I am trying my first post...

Regards,
Jonathan

The red text will help more than anything. I would advise you to stop shaving until your face is healed, then try again with the DE. Remember, you're trying to reduce the hair with each pass, not shave it all off at one time. There is a learning curve with this type of shaving, especially if you are coming form cartridges. There's a payoff if you're willing to stick with it and learn proper prep and technique.

You don't mention it in your original post, but I can say that the thing that really helped me the most recently was using an aftershave. I had never used one in my life until about 2 weeks ago. I stopped at a CVS and picked up some Clubman and Aqua Velva. I got both simply because I couldn't smell either in the store and didn't want to hate one and have to run back. They both smell great to me and SWMBO hasn't told me I stink... It really took care of any mildish razor burn I was still experiencing after a shave. So, that's a cheap way to possibly improve your shave every day.

Welcome to B&B.

Blade angle and too much pressure are the usual culprits to irritation or a rough shave.

However, as rlittlefield says above what you do after you shave also is important. Here are some things you can do to help out.

1. After you shave rinse your face with cool or cold water. If you use a wash cloth put it in the cold water and hold it to your face for a few seconds.
  2. Use WH after you shave. WH is an old fashioned remedy which works wonders.
  3. Get a good quality ASB and apply it, too. The ASB has some soothing qualities. There is nothing wrong with using WH followed by some ASB.
  4. Get a good quality moisturizer and apply it at night to your face and neck. This does wonders in helping restore your skin for the next day.

Jonathan, your preshave routine sounds pretty solid. One other thing you can do is to build the lather directly on your face instead of in a bowl. This will serve to further condition your whiskers. If you find your face is just really irritated and sore, it never hurts taking a day off. Welcome aboard.

Also, don't forget to stop by the New Member's Hall of Fame to tell us a bit about yourself!

Jonathan, I started DE shaving in June with the same razor and Derby blades. I had the same initial experience as you: smooth shave but had a good deal of razor burn. As others have mentioned, focus on blade angle and pressure. However, you may consider trying a different blade as well. After a week of using the Derby blades I picked up a pack of Wilkinson Swords for $1.76 at Walmart. For me it was like night and day. The Wilkinson Swords just agreed with my face so much more than the Derbys. For you it may be another type of blade that works. As you will notice here, blade preference is highly subjective (YMMV). So just keep working on the blade angle/pressure and give another blade brand a shot if the razor burn persists.

Hi Jonathan and welcome!

I'm a newbie that started DE shaving just over two weeks ago, and have a lot to learn as well. What I can say for sure is that:

1) My first shave was horrendous and the second was only a little better
2) I had no idea about angle and pressure during my first shave, and had only one way to go from there
3) After very close attention to prep and taking my time each shave to do it right (basically 30 minutes right now to do prep and 3 passes, and I don't reckon that counts post shave), I can tell you that the irritation is nearly gone and I am getting shaves closer and more comfortable than any barber ever gave me.

I first read about the blade I was using and thought it was no good after reading all the reviews, but guess what? While I was waiting for the new blades to come in, I started getting decent shaves with the first blade.

I found three things really helped with the shaving itself:
1) Proper angle
2) No Pressure, not a little, None - Zero. The weight of the razor only, coupled by good lather and plenty of hot water to soften the beard
3) Short strokes - about an inch (angle, angle, angle), and making sure not to go over the same spot again. Once the lather's gone from a pass, there's no lubrication between you and metal. That's what the next passes are for.

Youtube Mantic59, Geofatboy for some really good videos, and take a good look around here at the shave wiki. Really good stuff to absorb!

As stated previously, blade angle and pressure are the likely culprits. I actually found the BICs to be a bit rough and I shave with some very sharp blades. An Astra may be a better choice until you get your technique down. Don't try to get that perfect shave for a while. Lather, one with-grain pass, lather, second across-grain pass. Don't "cheat" by touching up unlathered areas. Accept a less than perfect shave now until you nail down your technique.

Welcome to B&B! :badger:

Some really good advise here so far.
All I can add is to take your time and concentrate on blade angle and no pressure.
It does get better.

I hacked my face to bits the first time I DE shaved because, I used too much pressure, went too fast and started off with the wrong angle.

To picture the correct angle, start by holding the razor handle parallel to the floor and the top of the razor touching your side burn area. While making short North to South strokes, slowly drop the handle towards the floor - you have the correct angle just as the blade starts cutting stubble.
If you begin with the handle perpendicular to the floor (blade 90 degrees to your face) , you will get a lot of chatter and you will wind up with a ton of razor burn - this was the mistake that I made and I wound up a bloody mess!
Be sure to keep the pressure as light as possible and take your time. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it!!!!

Welcome to B&B!

All terrific advice above. About the only thing I might add (which might have been said above) is to adjust your shaving time if necessary. ex: While getting my DE techniques down, I began to shave at night so that I could really slow down and focus on NO pressure, blade angle, and remembering to relather spots before trying to touch up. Also, early on I would switch back to my cartridge razor mid shave when I felt irritation.

You might start a shave journal to track your results.

Enjoy the process - it'll come with time. :shaving:

Ah, such great advice. Thank you!

So I am not the only one who butchered my face in the beginning? Such a relief. This means that things will get better.

I am pampering my face a lot lately with witch hazel, then aftershave balm (I use the balm at night, too, as a moisturizer).

I am sure I am just making the angle too great, and I can't seem to stop applying pressure.

I will take a break for a day or two, then try again. And take my time. Thanks for the encouragement.

When I shaved with a cartridge razor, I only shaved every other day, because I would get razor burn. I have been shaving every day recently, because I have enjoyed the challenge of learning to lather and do the prep right. And I like the smoother face with everyday shaving. But it has taken a toll.

Do I have a chance with everyday DE shaving, or do you think my skin will demand every other day with the DE, just like it did with the cartridge?

Very gratefully,
Jonathan

Welcome aboard! Another suggestion I may add is some alum block as an alternative to WH. It gives you great feedback as to where you may have used too much pressure or had a bad blade angle, and has really eliminated razor burn for me. My face seems similar based on your description, but YMMV, of course. The Derby blades me well be OK for you, but I have found that Astra SP blades perform really well and are popular among new shavers on this site. Good luck, and keep us updated!

So just keep working on the blade angle/pressure and give another blade brand a shot if the razor burn persists.

+1 I have the exact razor you have and tried the Derby's. My smoothest shaves came with sharper blades, especially with Feathers. Of course, YMMV.

Also, give yourself a day to rest your face even though you have had a great shave, barring any necessary work obligations to shave everyday!

Last edited:
Definitely, as everyone has said - rest, otherwise you might be irritating razor burn from a previous day despite the shave having been pretty solid. I'm an advocate for JASON Aloe 98% cream, but any high aloe moisturizing cream work really well to heal fast in conjunction w/ the WH (Thayers is a good compromise as it is both, in one)

Agree with everyone else...angle and pressure! In the beginning, it can be very hard to understand what people mean by using "no pressure". It really, truly means NO pressure. Do not press the razor to your face at all. If you're dong it right, you'll hear that satisfying scrape as the blade cuts the hairs, but you shouldn't feel much of everything. Remember, gradual reduction with subsequent passes is the goal.

Good luck and welcome to B&B. Keep us posted!

Top Bottom