What's new

Whipped Dog Synthetic-What Generation?

I asked Larry at Whipped Dog What generation his synthetic is. Larry says:

"I have been asked that by a few guys now. I sent my synthetic out to one of the top guys from Badger and Blade and he says it is not quite a 4th generation, but it is better than a 3rd generation. He says I should be able to classify it as a 3.5."

Ha, the game I sell is based on DnD 3.5. So that's a lucky number. :biggrin1:

I love my brush, so I cannot even imagine what 4.0 is like. I'm going to order another from Larry with a Firehouse handle and a little shorter loft.

This brush is 22mm knot, and 55mm loft.

$photo-31.jpg

Well, it is equivalent to an earlier Generation 3 such as the TGN 23 mm nylon brush. The current 3 Band synthetics are later Generation 3 brushes.

Gen 3.5 was a special modification that Muhle did for their V1 series of crimping the fibers to make them more springy and look more like badger. No one else has done this to their fibers and Muhle went on to a different fiber for the V2 series.

Please read the following to find where this is in the series of Synthetics. There is a photo showing the Muhle V1 and V2 to compare and contrast the Gen 3.5 versus the Gen 4. The V1 looks and responds differently due to the heavy crimping. The Muhle V2 shown is Generation 4.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/351109-Synthetic-Brush-Synopsis-Generations-Updated

Last edited:
Wow. Great information, Gary. Thank you very much.

You're welcome. I developed the Generational classification system to allow people to have a better (not perfect) way to compare the various brushes using some baseline standards that have come along since synthetics were developed in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Last edited:
$074bb4cb-1df7-4603-b367-9801bb66898e_zps411a41c7.jpg

I've had the Whipped Dog synthetic in my possession for a couple of weeks and have been using it nearly every day.

When I first received it, I gave it a couple of test lathers with MWF and G.F. Trumper's Rose cream. Since then, I've used it with a dozen or so hard and soft soaps and creams. It was very good to excellent with all, had nice face-feel and splayed easily. I like the loft--it gives the brush nice backbone without being too stiff. The tips are quite soft.

It is a Generation 3 knot. Evidence for this is the color of the fibers and the relative lack of crimping/flagging. However, it is a very good example of Gen 3 knots--it is better than some other brushes of that generation (for example, the New York Shaving Company's and the entire new Omega HI-Brush series).

I directly compared it to the Kent Silvertex synth, and a Muhle V1 knot--both of which are Gen 3.5--as part of my evaluation. The comparison confirmed my opinion that it is Gen 3.

In some cases, the generation classification of a brush does not say everything about it. Some Gen 3 brushes are terrific, and some Gen 4s miss the mark. The Whipped Dog synthetic, IMO, is a big success. It is a great performing brush. In it's price point ($22 shipped) it is an outstanding bargain.

I've now tried and owned nearly 30 synthetic brushes from 12 manufacturers. As modern synthetic shave brushes go, the Whipped Dog offering is one of the best performers currently available. It is without question an intelligent pick at a price that can't be beat!

Last edited:
Jim's (Codfish) reference to the Whipped Dog synthetic in an earlier post about best budget brushes tipped me over the edge into finally ordering a synth. brush.

As I need another brush like a hole in the head, I've been holding off. Yet I have not been unaware of some pretty experienced folks raving about synthetics for the past year. I'm also aware that some very experienced folks have gone exclusively with synthetics, selling off some pretty impressive badgers brushes.

Jim, how does this brush compare to the Kent Silvertex?

I've recently received a synthetic WD, too. Absolutely love it! I feel the same way as you and want to try a gen 4 synthetic.

I thought I was the only one that felt that the loft was a little much!

Mine should be here today or tomorrow, set at 50mm loft. I'm expecting a generation 3 brush. Depending on how it goes, I might order a Muhle V2. I'd really like something that dries out quickly as my boar and badger brushes are still damp after 24 hours and my badger has been getting a bit of a funky smell lately (like it needs to be washed).

I would like to know how you like the 50mm loft. Mine is 55mm which is usually too much, but the brush works so darn well...:wink2:

Mine should be here today or tomorrow, set at 50mm loft. I'm expecting a generation 3 brush. Depending on how it goes, I might order a Muhle V2. I'd really like something that dries out quickly as my boar and badger brushes are still damp after 24 hours and my badger has been getting a bit of a funky smell lately (like it needs to be washed).

Just got an email from Larry about a longer handle. BAD struck me again...ordering a 50mm loft with a Firehouse handle extra-long. 4-6 weeks to arrive. I Will either be in the middle of a 12 day trip Toronto-Nashville-Birmingham, Alabama; or a short Chicago trip. I love having something nice to come home to.

Here's my last order to Larry, The Three Sisters...l-r Black Badger, Whipped Dog Firehouse, Synthetic. I like the white handle a lot, so I am getting another with bright blue highlights. Hmmm, three sisters...Andrews or Gabor...what do you think?

$e7503708-615b-46a5-8307-8c0fdbe5eb9c_zpsa65d8ef6.jpg

Here is a direct comparison of the Whipped Dog synthetic brush along side the Kent Silvertex Infinity synth. As Gary Carrington has indicated, the Kent brush has Generation 3.5 fibers, and the Whipped Dog uses a Generation 3 knot.

The Whipped Dog fibers are slightly thicker and stiffer, requiring a taller loft. My WD measures 22 x 57mm. In order to enhance the water-retention qualities of the knot, it has been heat treated and the fibers have tiny zig-zags pressed into them to increase the surface area of the fibers. The texturing is barely visible to the naked eye, but clearly present under 10x magnification. The last inch or so of the fibers is tapered radically to give very soft tips. This does set it apart from other Gen 3 knots. It actual use, the brush has nice backbone and medium scrubbing action. The length of the loft makes splaying fairly easy. For face lathering, it is arguably one of the best performing Gen 3 brushes I have tried. and I am curious whether a shorter loft (52-54mm) would improve it.

The Kent knot has a 22 x 52mm configuration and is constructed of Generation 3.5 fibers. These fibers are thinner, allowing more to be packed into the knot size. This results in a denser, slightly less springy knot. Under 10x magnification, the fibers are tapered along their length, especially near the tips, again resulting in soft tips. The brush has a "stout" feel in actual use, more boar-like than the WD. It does not splay as easily, but not to the point where it can be faulted. It performs well in both bowl- and face-lathering tests.

Both the WD and Kent have attractive, well-made handles made of high-quality resin. Of the two, the WD is more comfortable in my large hands--a minor observation. The WD's configuration may be set to custom specifications by Larry, an advantage not shared by the Kent, for a few dollars more. In addition, WD brushes have custom wooden or Lirehouse Pottery handle options.

In summary, these are two of the best low-cost synthetic brushes currently available. Shavers can purchase either for under $25, and both will provide years of good service. In one area, however, there is a clear winner. For those, like myself, who enjoy the personal touch of talking to an expert who has my interests at heart, I highly recommend talking to and ordering from Larry at Whipped Dog. You will find not only a source of high quality shaving equipment, but a knowledgeable resource person with a great reputation for personalized service.

Last edited:
Got mine in today as well.

My other synthetic, and first brush, was a Shea Moisture from Target. I am assuming this is a Gen 2 based off reading the description that Gary had. It is fairly soft at the tips, not quite Silvertip soft, but it doesn't hold water or lather very well and definitely has the problem of holding water in the middle and then releasing it all at once when tipped upside down.

The WD synthetic is set to 50mm per my request. Visually it looks really, really similar to the SM brush, except it's black instead of brown. The tips though feel softer with absolutely no prickling or scrubbing. I made a couple test lathers and it holds water a lot better. Still not a sponge, but a lot better. The knot is fairly tight in that it doesn't bloom much, like the SM. Plenty of backbone with this one and doesn't want to splay like the SM brush, although it seems to be packed with more hair and a shorter loft.

An hour after the test lather, the WD was nearly dry, just a bit damp in the middle. My WD silvertip is still damp twelve hours after using it and lately has been damp after 24 hours of use, and developing a bit of funk.

Will be very interested to try it out tomorrow, and I just got $50 for selling some golf clubs, so it's going to be a battle to avoid ordering a Muhle...which I will probably lose!

I have done many tops down shots to show density. You will fully understand based on how the Shea is flared out as to why you have water retention issues. I tested one and at first I thought the Shea had little redeeming merits but when you place in very hot water and use the Shea Butter Soap I can see why it is made the way it is. It is an inexpensive tool that can apply the super thick Shea Butter Soap for people who have severe cases of pseudofolliculitis barbae without worrying about messing up a more expensive brush. It does serve its intended purpose, but I do not endorse it as a standard use brush.

You will also see that the density in the center of the WD Synthetic will help reduce the doughnut holes that occur with less dense brushes. You should be able to tell and enjoy the difference right away.

Top Bottom