What's new

Derby blades and Merkur HD

Hello all!
I've been wet shaving for about a month now and use Derby blades and Merkur HD.
I have sensitive skin and noticed that I need to change blades more often then what most articles recommend, I do it after 3-4 shaves. Otherwise my shaves are not that great and I get more irritation then I need.
My question. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong?
I'm doing the prep, using good brush and creams.
Please advise.

Changing blades once they no longer provide a great shave is normal. How often varies due to sensitivity, beard coarseness, etc. The Derby and HD work very well for me.

Randy

Around here three to four shaves per blade appears to be the average. I never go more than three on a blade because it starts to crap out fast, but my beard is extremely coarse.

Anyway, don't try to go by someone else's numbers, just do what keeps it comfortable.

Great!
Thanx guys for all the replies, I thought it was sort of personal, and then I thought may be I got fake blades:) Do they clone Derby blades yet? Somewhere in China?

Doubt there is any profit in counterfit blades. Some people think Derbys are inconsistent, and most every QC program lets a bad blade through every now and then. I've not experienced any inconsistency with Derby blades, but then I mostly use other brands.

I paid 12 cents per blade delivered for my last bulk purchase of 500 (one must be prepared, after all....). At that price, hardly seems worth the effort to counterfeit them.

My experience says that changing the blades after 3 shaves is right on. I like to stretch purchases, but when you think about how inexpensive Derby's are when bought by the 100's it just isn't worth it.
Ken.

I paid 12 cents per blade delivered for my last bulk purchase of 500 (one must be prepared, after all....). At that price, hardly seems worth the effort to counterfeit them.

Actually, I asked this because I read on an official website for russian blades Rapira, Voskhod and Ladas, that their blades are being counterfitted in China and even show an example on how to recognize a fake. And that's considering that their blades are much cheaper then Derby. It's around 2.75 roubles per pack of 5, which amounts to US$0.11.
Here's a link for you language buffs http://www.ostro.ru/podd.htm
And here's a description and pricing http://www.ostro.ru/prod1.htm
I'm not sure how good these blades are, although they are made from sweedish steel but I would feel uneasy if I knew there's a chance of getting fake Derby made in China with questionable hygiene standards.
Cheers.

I get 3-4 shaves out of a Derby but can get 5-6 out of Merkurs & Crystals but although Crystals seem to last & shave with very little irritation I don't seem to be able to get a BBS shave with them, they shave me very close but not BBS, YMMV.

Top Bottom