What's new

Quality Paper?

Do you guys have a favorite brand of stationary or paper that you like to write on(possibly a Journal) with your fountain pens? Where do you buy it?

Goulet Pens. Lots to choose from. Rhodia, Queens Mill, etc etc.

Office Max has Black and Red journals and planners. I don't remember if they have stationery in that line. I like the journal I have in that.

+1 on the GPC. Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Apica, Midor, and others. Another good source is JetPens. They stock some excellent Japanese paper. Really big fan of Kokuyo in general but their Cyo Bo is awesome paper. It is 100gsm and handles anything from wet noodles to spills. Their MIO is also great while the Campus line is reasonably priced. Maruman is another great paper.

If you have a Staples nearby you can score some Sustainable Earth notebooks at a reasonable price. It is decent. Their ARC line is definitely FP-friendly.

Another option is to swing by your local Wal-Mart and look for Norcom Composition books that are marked MADE IN BRAZIL. With the back to school sales going on it is a perfect time to score them in bunches. Excellent paper value.

Another option is to swing by your local Wal-Mart and look for Norcom Composition books that are marked MADE IN BRAZIL. With the back to school sales going on it is a perfect time to score them in bunches. Excellent paper value.

I hit Walmart yesterday and stocked up on 8 of the Norcom books. Set me back $4.00 plus tax! I'm surprised how fountain-pen friendly the paper is.

I stocked up on some journal sized Clairefontaine from Goulet's a while back, and it will be some time before I use it up. I've also got a good supply of pocket sized Rhodia notebooks, mostly from JetPens. Not much difference in the paper, but in the journal size, the Rhodia seems to be more expensive for some reason. I've also got a pad of blank Rhodia notebook sized paper which I originally meant for drawing, but have been using as stationery.

There's always pleasure in finding a cheaper alternative to the designer brand stuff, but I haven't had much luck with department store brands. I've tried the made in Brazil composition books; there tends to be too much show-through and feathering, and sometimes the paper itself feels rough. The Sustainable Earth sugar cane paper from Staples was perhaps a bit better, I got one of their composition books and filled it up, but it still feels a little rough to me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
+1 on the GPC. Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Apica, Midor, and others. Another good source is JetPens. They stock some excellent Japanese paper. Really big fan of Kokuyo in general but their Cyo Bo is awesome paper. It is 100gsm and handles anything from wet noodles to spills. Their MIO is also great while the Campus line is reasonably priced. Maruman is another great paper.

If you have a Staples nearby you can score some Sustainable Earth notebooks at a reasonable price. It is decent. Their ARC line is definitely FP-friendly.

Daniel, you pretty much nailed it!

G. Lalo is great stuff.
Yep. I use G. Lalo all the time, and it's the only stationery I plan to buy in the future. I also use a Rhodia webbie as a work notebook/journal, and one of the small staple-bound Rhodia pads as a jotter.

I get them either from the Goulets or the Nussbaums (isellpens).

I've been using the original crown mill stuff from gouletpens. Its my letter writing stationary. But I also use rhodia and clairfontaine pads for jotters etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to Goulet pens and got some Clairefontaine paper and some Rhodia dotted notebooks from the recommendations here(also a bottle of Diamine Ox-blood and a Pilot Metro :biggrin1:).

I am not sure if anyone has experience with this paper but i was recently recommended a brand called tomoe river. From some samples i have seen i am very interested in getting some.

EDIT...

I just looked up the paper, super expensive not worth it for me!

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone has experience with this paper but i was recently recommended a brand called tomoe river. From some samples i have seen i am very interested in getting some.

EDIT...

I just looked up the paper, super expensive not worth it for me!

Everything that I have read and heard about TR paper is exceptional. There is a new company in the US that is selling TR notepads at a reasonable price. I would have pulled the trigger on a few but they were out of stock. That was a close call. Maybe when I run down my current stockpile I will place the order.

Wow. I don't think I've seen a fountain pen friendly book with 320 pages but the price seems a bit high. I wonder who they're comparing themselves to when they state that $0.09 pp is a good price? Looks like it's nice though! :)

Cheers,

M.

Tomoe River is a notoriously thin and spectacular paper. It has been difficult to procure. Quality and rarity equate to expensive. Fortunately, there are now a few places in the U.S. that are sourcing the paper. Yes, it is more expensive than many papers but I have heard so many good things about TR paper I am willing to give it a go. I also happen to think that the prices asked are quite reasonable for the quality of the paper.

Tomoe River is a notoriously thin and spectacular paper. It has been difficult to procure. Quality and rarity equate to expensive. Fortunately, there are now a few places in the U.S. that are sourcing the paper. Yes, it is more expensive than many papers but I have heard so many good things about TR paper I am willing to give it a go. I also happen to think that the prices asked are quite reasonable for the quality of the paper.

Thanks for the info! When you get yours please post a review and let us know how it is. If you can compare it to other paper that would be great, if not I guess one of the Paper AD folks here will need to get their hands on some. :)

Cheers,

M.

Top Bottom