What's new

Frost Cutlery or Pride Cutlery

Hi guys, I'm new here. I've been shaving with a DE for a few weeks now and in the next couple of weeks I'm going to ask my barber for some straight razor lessons.

Here is my question:

Does anybody have any experience with razors from Frost Cutlery or their sub brand Pride Cutlery? Frost distributes a wide variety of knives nationwide, but they are based here in Chattanooga, TN and their products are readily accessible at good prices here. But I haven't found a lot of discussion of their razors. They also produce a couple of razors with pocket knife style handles instead of scales (which I know are NOT handles.) Does anybody have any experience with these sorts of razors?

Jeff

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The are fancy letter openers.

If you want a shave ready razor on the cheap, contact Larry at Wippeddod.com, or one of our fine vendors or hobbyist.

Well, I have seen some of those cheap things advertised as being 440c stainless steel, which if true means it could be honed to shave.
Like gold-dollars, there might be work involved in making it honable and fixing the bevel ...
With GD, we know what the result can be, whereas here it is just a pure science project.
I remember reading about someone that used one of the Chinese Sweeney Todd razor and reported it worked fine (but he did not recommend it as he claimed it took all his science gained from 5 years of honing experience to get it shave-ready).

I got something along those line from eBay because the wood scales were nice enough that I figured it to be cheaper/easier/faster to rip one up than make the scale myself. Surprisingly the blade came sharp enough to effortlessly shave my arms hair.
Before tearing it apart, I wanted to try to hone it and see how that goes.
Have not have the time to do that though (and might not in a while).

Welcome fellow Chattanoogan...

Those brands are basically knifes ground to look like razors... They won't take an edge worth a darn. Trying to do a straight on the uber cheap is a bad idea in general. Even worse if you're new to straights. The best advice you will get here is to get a Whippeddog.com straight razor. It will be ugly, but will be right, and will give you a proper shave. That's where I'd recommend you start.

Until you learn to strop, shave, etc, I wouldn't mess with anything other than a finished, ready to shave razor. When you get past ground zero, then you can try your hand at honing up a classic or restoring an antique or even regrinding a gold dollar.

I'm afraid that a Frost razor will be rather disappointing and a waste of money in general.

Regards,
Jeff (that's my name too!)

Top Bottom