What's new

Honing question

I should have read Joel's amazing interactive section before now (great work joel);

I purchased a straight today from someone on this site; that is not shave ready

any recommendations on where i can send it to get its first honing and to get shave ready?

I should have read Joel's amazing interactive section before now (great work joel);

I purchased a straight today from someone on this site; that is not shave ready

any recommendations on where i can send it to get its first honing and to get shave ready?

It really depends on the condition of the razor.... for instance, if it's a like new, or new razor, most fellas will hone 'er up for you. If it's dinged, damaged, etc - there are only a small group of fellas willing to take those razors on.

What type/size/condition razor?

it is a Wapienica - 9/16" SFK stamp - new, not honed

had i read your article before i bought this i would have bought one shave ready.....sigh; but it was a very good price.

it is a Wapienica - 9/16" SFK stamp - new, not honed

had i read your article before i bought this i would have bought one shave ready.....sigh; but it was a very good price.

Well - to have it honed would run you $20 + shipping from most fellas who will hone your razor... so it's really up to you if the Wapi is worth it (as they are often purchased for less) or if you wish to purchase a pre-honed razor on the BST and use the wapi to practice honing with.

Randy Tuttle, Joe Chandler, and quite a few others will happily hone up a razor for you :smile:

I've had new wapis come my way everywhere from almost shave ready to dull as a butterknife. So "new" means very little, and it will most certainly require some hone-lovin' before use. I recommend Joe Chandler since he is probably closest to you, but there is no shortage of individuals willing to hone it for a few bucks.

I'd recommend me, but the postage and travel time would likely not be worth it for you.

Guys thanks alot for the suggestions/advice;

I think I will look Joe up to get the initial hone on. Then use this as a practice razor (to learn to hone myself); Probably will keep my eye open for a shave ready straight in the medium price range that is looking for a new home in the meantime;

You guys really are quite patient with us newbies; i appreciate it

Joe is a good choice. Pretty busy right now, but if he doesn't hook you up I can help you. I live pretty far away though.

Oh, yea. Very close. Not only can I hone up a blade for you, you have an open invitation to stop by anytime for free lessons! :smile:

there really IS something to this RAD thing; and the fact that my mind LOVES to learn new things;

thanks for the offer

Top Bottom