What's new

Jack Black Lube

I just tried the Jack Black Beard Lube, thank God it was a sample. I don't know if anyone else out there has given this a try but I'm not sure if I like it. Tried to face lather it but it appears to be unlatherable (if this is a word). So I applied it as best as I could and the shave was a little rough. I used a new blade and I hated the fact that I could not see a visible line where the lather had been removed by the razor. I went 2 passes and I feel like I still need a shave and a wee bit razor burn feel going on. It seems like if I had actually bought it the only thing that would have been lubed would have been my wallet. :euro:
Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks

I've used it with a cartridge razor. Like most of the King of Shaves gels and Bulldog Original gel, it isn't meant to lather, so you can "see where you're going" rather than (or hopefully as well as) where you have been. I favour this style of gel over anything else when using a cart, but whilst I thought the Beard Lube was good I prefer Bulldog.

With a DE razor, I can't even begin to imagine trying to use a product like that. I've tried it the other way round, a cart razor with "real" shaving cream before I made the full switch, and that didn't go well either. So I'm firmly sticking with the software that is designed for the hardware I'm using.

Back when I was using cartridges, this is what I used. It works MUCH better than the canned foam. I never had a problem knowing where I had shaved and where I hadn't. I guess I don't understand that issue.

It's not meant lather up, so you can't knock it on that point.

With my leftover JBBL, I'll sometimes use it as a pre-shave and it works great for that. I have not tried it straight up with a DE razor yet.

With my leftover JBBL, I'll sometimes use it as a pre-shave and it works great for that. I have not tried it straight up with a DE razor yet.

I got a sample tube somewhere and only use it as a Pre-Shave for camping. It seems to work ok for that, but I'd never try it as a stand alone product.

Well this explains alot, I never thought of it as a cartridge gel, but that makes sense. I will give it a go as a pre-shave though.

Back when I was using cartridges, this is what I used. It works MUCH better than the canned foam. I never had a problem knowing where I had shaved and where I hadn't. I guess I don't understand that issue.

It's not meant lather up, so you can't knock it on that point.

I guess my ignorance on the no lathering point came from lack of product knowledge on my part, as to not knowing where I shaved and where I hadn't you have to understand I'm shaving with older eyes that need glasses. :scared:

I picked some up a year or so ago and had the same issues even though I knew it was latherless. Traded it in for the Jack Black Supreme Cream and it was night and day. The Supreme Cream is super stuff.

I guess my ignorance on the no lathering point came from lack of product knowledge on my part, as to not knowing where I shaved and where I hadn't you have to understand I'm shaving with older eyes that need glasses. :scared:

Based on your avatar you do seem to have missed a bit around the jawline :wink2:

Used the beard lube as recommended as a preshave and then lathered with CO Bigelow and had a great shave. MPMartinez99 I'll have to give that Supreme Cream a try. hopefully they have samples of it out there.

Jack Black Beard lube is one of the slipperiest gels out there, and for me shaving with it is on par with shaving with my best and slippiriest cream, Trumpers. I thus rate it as on par with my best creams and soaps.

Yes, it is hard to see where you have or haven't shaved using it - as is the case with using many similar brushless creams and gels - but that just is the case with them, and it doesn't matter if you are using DE or cartridge.

Regards,
Renato

I love it, it works great. I don't care about seeing where I've shaved. It's not that hard to keep track of, and I shave as much by feel as sight.

Weird, I just posted about this in another thread. But yeah, like others have said, the fact that you can't see where you've shaved is a bit tricky if you don't have heavy enough shadow to see what's been shaved off (as is the case with me). Minor issue though as far as I'm concerned. As a product I like it, and have gotten great shaves out of it as a stand alone product on par with some of my best creams and soaps.

I used it today and must admit that Jack Black Beard Lube seems to result in the blade scraping the skin more so than with regular shave cream (i.e. not quite as smooth). But the result is what matters, rather than perception of how the shave felt. I got zero nicks and noticeably less alum stings compared to using many other creams, despite the scraping feel during shaving.
Regards,
Renato

I have the JBBL that was given to me (yes I agree a bit expensive as a pre-shave but for free works just fine) and I use it as a pre-shave also. Works pretty good for that. As far as an alternative...I have been using a shave oil my wife picked up at TJ Max. It is a four ounce bottle of c. Booth that cost about $5.00. It's basically carrier oils, glycerine, and extract...maybe something, I got bored reading. :001_rolle Anyway, stores always have these hair products, shave products, and other things that are all made out of the same things that I am finding make for really great pre-shaves. All you need is something that will moisturize the hair/whiskers/beard and ad a little slickness to the face. I have even tried some left over beard oil I had (I grow a beard from about October to Feb) and it worked great. All that was in that was Grape-seed, Almond, Castor, and Essential Oils. So I think for something about a third of the price you can get something that works as well or better.

Top Bottom