What's new

Maybe it's time for a "21 and under" club?

I have only one brush over 21mm knot diameter that I use with any regularity, it just seems like a smaller brush is the best fit for me... Lots of the brush-love I see in B&B forums is directed at mega brushes that are both out of my reach in terms of cost and would be waaay to large for my face.

Any others out there who have an affinity for the qualities and capabilities that smaller brushes bring to the shaving experience? C'mon, I know there are at least a few small brushes out there with cult followings and not everyone lusts after the latest "Bloaty 4" mega-fat brush...

If there are enough of us, then maybe *yet another* B&B club will be born ;)

I like 22mm - 24mm so I'm out of the club. Where can I get this "Bloaty 4" you speak of? :tongue_sm

The Bloaty 4 (not to be confused with the even larger 38mm knot Bloaty 5) is available exclusively in the High Street of London at Smith-Smythe & Smyth-Twiddlington Gentleman's necessaries. I believe it's by appointment to the Earl of Fortescue....

Well, not really, but I'm sure that if they existed the Bloaty series would have a serious following!

I've been looking at 20mm brushes all day for face lathering with sticks. Have a feeling that will be the next purchase.

I have a 20mm Whipped Dog silvertip. It is a fantastic brush. The vast majority of its shaves have been face lathering with Arko, and it excels at that. I don't mind a small brush.

We gotta get some pictures here...

Really curious about the various blooms of these little brushes.

We gotta get some pictures here...

Really curious about the various blooms of these little brushes.

This is my 20mm WD silvertip. It bloomed quite nicely and was my main brush for nearly a year.

$SW8d5EL.jpg

24 is on the larger side of my preferences for badgers. Boar is a whole 'nother story...the Pro 49 is a fantastic brush!

At the moment, my favorite badgers are 20mm. I have a TGN finest, and a WD silvertip that are terrific. I have a 22mm WD knot that I suspect that I'll like better than the 20, but I haven't put it into a handle yet. I have a 24+ from Ace, and it is just too big for my taste. We'll see how the 22 works out if I ever mount it, and I may join your club. If you make it 22 and under and exempt boar from the equation, I'll be in.

I agree that anything bigger than a tight 23 is just too big. It can eat a lot of soap as well.

15 posts and nobody's mentioned the Wee Scot yet?

Its NOT just a travel brush. It holds its own against anything in my shave den.

I really enjoy using this 19mm Simpson Case, from today's shave:

attachment.php

I have this Muhle Synthetic on the way, 21mm:

proxy.php

how is the knot size and loft measured? knot size at the base or at the top when the hair is bunched together? Loft from the base to the shorted hair or longest?

I could do it with a 22 and under club.

I have only one brush over 21mm knot diameter that I use with any regularity, it just seems like a smaller brush is the best fit for me... Lots of the brush-love I see in B&B forums is directed at mega brushes that are both out of my reach in terms of cost and would be waaay to large for my face.

Any others out there who have an affinity for the qualities and capabilities that smaller brushes bring to the shaving experience? C'mon, I know there are at least a few small brushes out there with cult followings and not everyone lusts after the latest "Bloaty 4" mega-fat brush...

If there are enough of us, then maybe *yet another* B&B club will be born ;)

I have my eye on a few 18-20mm by 40-45mm brushes:

- Omega 599
- Simpson Case 1
- Whipped Dog 20mm Silvertip
- TGN 20mm Finest Fan

Top Bottom