What's new

Skype interview (GULP!

So while not looking for new work I somehow end up in the application pool for a bigger job. I've already had two phone interviews. Now it is time for a Skype interview. I would rather take a part day off and drive down to see these people on my dime but alas, it is not how the world is going.

I'm fine with technology (I just turned 30) but Skype to me is an informal tool used to converse with relatives on the other side of the country. Oh well, get with the times old man! :)

Now to move my computer out of my bedroom so my interviewers don't see a bed with a dog on it and an unorganized end table with all sorts of random books, pens and stationery on it.

Hi John: You are very fortunate to have an opportunity with this terrible economy. So. . . what will be your SOTD gear prior to your Skype interview? Good luck sir and keep us posted.

WARHAWK

Shave of the day... Fatboy, Gillette 7oC black, Nivea Energy Splash... Soap is never known until I reach for the brush with I think is a Vulfix 404? It came with a tub of TOBS Sandalwood many years ago.

I did shave off my petit goatee and handebar mustache that had five months of growth... Saddened by that but it will grow back. I didn't want to find myself idle and twirling my mustachios.

I'm with you... Skype interviews are awkward. I had one, and it turned out I could see them but for some reason they didn't get my video signal, so that was weird. They did offer me the job though, so I guess it wasn't too bad! :biggrin:

You should do it with no pants on like the anchormen in the 70's.
I don't get to put on a suit enough to go pants-less... Besides, I get to walk into my job later and have all the girls ogle me in a suit. I'm dead sexy! Shaving off my handlebar caught more attention than the suit did.

From what I've heard you need to make sure you look at the camera rather than directly into the screen, so it will appear that you are looking at the person on the other end rather than looking down.

If you have time, find someone to do a test run with.

I can't even take a Webcam photo without looking like a serial killer, so I empathize.

Also, I can't stand how impersonal all of the job hiring #$@% is nowadays. (This is a nowadays rant, FYI.) Every time I go into a museum (or someplace) to apply for a job, they say, "Well, actually... We do all of our hiring online these days, so you can go to our Website, which is..." They're all nice about it and I totally understand the rationale, but it is very frustrating, because one of my strengths is my charming, unique character [Editor's Note: Uh huh.] and that does not come through in a resume, or even in a cover letter. It's totally dehumanized.

Skype interview went fine. I got a lot of great hints off of Reddit of all places.

Some other great hints! Making sure the camera is at eye level so you're not looking up towards your audience nor are you looking down. I put a few boxes on the coffee table to raise my laptop up.
Look at the camera, not at the pictures.
Remember to verbally let them know you are intererested and listening with yeses and mm-hmms and oh gee0golly you betcha's.
Have a clean background. I was sitting on the couch but you couldn't see it and there was nothing on the wall behind me
Do a test call with a friend. Sound test, etc. It also helps you know where to sit- closer to the camera, farther back wherever. do it around the same time of day as the interview is scheduled. Light may be different... If I tried to use where I was at nine int he morning it would be too bright.

I wore a pinstripe suit, blue shirt and no tie. I'm also getting short notice vacation to go meet the people there and do a cooking interview.

During past Skype interviews, I would always tape a smiley face right above my laptop's webcam to remind me to look at that instead of the screen.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
great advice. I've never done a webcam interview, but now I imagine i'd be a pro!

Good to hear it went well.
Videoconferencing and to a lesser degree Skype is the way of the future.
Where I work a lot of the interviews are through videoconferencing and some through Skype.

lol glad the skype interview went well! let us know about the cooking interview goes. Just curious but what kind of food do you specialize in?
Good food! My specialty is whatever I'm cooking at the time. I have a lot of French, Italian and Asian influences I pull from. All depends on what I have on hand or what I'm craving. My main source of employment at the moment is a higher end steakhouse. It is just simple food done really freaking well!

Good food! My specialty is whatever I'm cooking at the time. I have a lot of French, Italian and Asian influences I pull from. All depends on what I have on hand or what I'm craving. My main source of employment at the moment is a higher end steakhouse. It is just simple food done really freaking well!
Sounds like my kind of food.

Top Bottom