What's new

how much to start

Can I get into straight razor shaving for $100 and if so what would be a good starter set. I have read good things about Tony Miller strops but his site dosen't have anything in the store until Feb due to finishing projects. I also read that Joel recommends the Dovo tortise speacial 5/8 for noobs. What does everyone think about that. I could go a touch higher to get something good but not much.

Can I get into straight razor shaving for $100 and if so what would be a good starter set. I have read good things about Tony Miller strops but his site dosen't have anything in the store until Feb due to finishing projects. I also read that Joel recommends the Dovo tortise speacial 5/8 for noobs. What does everyone think about that. I could go a touch higher to get something good but not much.

If you start with a new razor, I don't think so. You could go with a Tony Miller set for a bit above $125 with a 4 sided pasted paddle, after he reopens on the 1rst of Feb, and it's well worth it. If you want both a pasted paddle strop and a hanging strop, that's closer to $175. You're still left without a hone, which is actually OK, but if you want to sharpen your own razors eventually you'll need to pony up anywhere between about another $70 and whatever top end you're willing to stop at.

You could go with a Wapienica from stamps222 on ebay, hope its a good one, and get it sharpened for first use by a pro. Now you're a bit below your $100 mark, but the razor is iffier. You could also go with a shave ready vintage straight, usually running about $40, from any of the buy/sell/trade shaving boards, also ringing in at about the same price, but it might not be shiny or otherwise eye candyish.

Thanks for the info. I think I could swing $125 for a quality set. Do you think It would be wise to go with a 4 sided paddle instead of a hanging strop. I have read that with the pasted you can go longer without honing.

Hank - you may ask Tony to only paste 3 sides (1, .5, .25 diamond paste) and leave one side just for stropping. That way you could get by for many months without a hone or another strop. Good luck!

I'd be more inclined to go with a wider 2-sided paddle. The extra width makes the daily stropping go by easier and faster, and that daily stropping is kind of tedious when you're first starting. Get one side pasted with chromium oxide or .5 micron diamond and leave the other clear and you're set. I'm partial to horsehide for daily stropping, but that's just me.

Most guys eventually gravitate to the hanging strop anyway, and when you do then you can paste the other side of your paddle with 0.25 diamond if you like.

My own strategy was the hanging strop and 2-sided pasted paddle. I really seem to like using the hanging strop, and if you don't get one, you're passing up on a canvas side, which some swear by, and some say it does nothing. I haven't had to use a pasted paddle yet, but I'm sure I'll be glad to have it. So, a 4-sided paddle with a latigo side will certainly get you started, but you might want to spring for a nice hanging strop later.

Check the sales forum here to see if any straights are being sold. Over at SRP there are guys who sell starter sets. You'll get the essentials and a quality vintage razor in shave ready condition. That would be my recommendation. If you buy a new razor you will have to get it honed because new razors are seldom shave ready.

Well Thanks Big Spender. I am starting to offer newby kits with a Tony Strop, a Shavemac Brush, soaps from The Gentlemens Quarter and Mama Bear, aftershave from Mama Bear, and vintage razors by me. The first ones will be extra special with me giving better equipment than I am charging you for. After that I will start settling into nice equipment and razors for around $150 depending on the razor. Eventually when I get things handled I will try to bring it over here.

For more info see here

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/showthread.php?p=154545#post154545

Well Thanks Big Spender. I am starting to offer newby kits with a Tony Strop, a Shavemac Brush, soaps from The Gentlemens Quarter and Mama Bear, aftershave from Mama Bear, and vintage razors by me. The first ones will be extra special with me giving better equipment than I am charging you for. After that I will start settling into nice equipment and razors for around $150 depending on the razor. Eventually when I get things handled I will try to bring it over here.

sounds like a good deal but I have all the reagular shaving goodies. If you come up with just a razor and strop to sell let me know.

You can also add a WTB post to the buy/sell/trade forum here. I would think there are plenty of people who might have a good starter razor which they might sell even if they are not actively looking for buyers.

Top Bottom