What's new

Art of Shaving tallow soap

IMO this is the best smelling Sandalwood on the market. I wonder if the new stuff will at the very least smell as good. Not keeping my hopes up though.

Are they really worth the $30+ for the 3.3 oz pucks? That's really steep.

IMO no but as always, ymmv.
Some will insist on certain marks and pay accordingly because that's what works best for them. Ive used aos, penhaligons (the discontinued versions) etc etc, and they were great but there are others that work just as well, maybe even better depending on who is asked.

strop

Now half as wise
IMO this is the best smelling Sandalwood on the market. I wonder if the new stuff will at the very least smell as good. Not keeping my hopes up though.

I only did one shave with the new formula, so can't really comment on performance, but the scent is the same to me.

Are they really worth the $30+ for the 3.3 oz pucks? That's really steep.

The short answer is, no, they are not.

In general, I try to stay under $10~$13 or so. I think that the AoS is just about the best Shave Soap you can buy, but still, it just isn't worth $30 (to me). I know that the AoS soap has quite a following, but I enjoy other cheaper soaps just as much.

-- John Gehman

Guys - in light of new soap makers such as Mikes and Barrister & Mann and Panna Crema - is there really a reason to stock up on these soaps while multiple options are out there?
Speaking as someone who hasn't actually used it, I do kind of wonder this myself. There are so many good soaps out there at reasonable prices, I'm having a hard time imagining what AOS would offer (beyond scarcity) that makes it worth a huge premium over anything else. Not everything works for everybody (and there are some well regarded soaps that I don't care for) but I've got about a half dozen soaps that I'd be happy to use exclusively forever, and by the same token, they are all good enough to be interchangeable, so It wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't get them any more.

That said, I did (metaphorically) run out and buy a pound of Klar Kabinett when rumors started swirling that it was discontinued, so I get the notion of wanting to stock up on a favorite too.

Price is a very subjective thing. AoS soap is worth $30 a puck to me.
For many, that will not be the case. Mike's, Mystic Waters, Barrister and Mann, etc. certainly provide better values.

Price is always ymmv.

There's a guy who would rather use a plastic KFC gravy container as a soap dish than splurge $2 to $3 for a tin of Mikes soap.

Just a heads up, I picked up an AOS Tallow refill today from the AOS store on Connecticut NW in Washington, DC. No sandalwood, but they had unscented and I picked up a puck of lavender tallow. I paid full price so it was not on sale.

I have about 1/2 a puck of the tallow unscented (which smells quite strongly of the soap ingredients, which I love!).

It really is a fantastic soap and I use it rarely, just when I feel like a change from MWF.

A shame that these soaps have gone the way of the dodo. I'm yet to try the new formulation and also not in any hurry whatsoever to do so.

I'm hoarding the three pucks I picked up in Tacoma in July and I am trying to decide whether to use them or trade them.

My favorite soap. I have 2 bowls one sandalwood and one lavender. I bought my first puck at a TJ Maxx for $15 then snatched up my second one for $35 on the BST. Sure there are other soaps that are less expensive but they do not produce the same quality lather in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sorry to drag up a thread that was long since deceased, but I received a couple AoS gift cards for Christmas. I was disappointed to see that the formula had changed so drastically, as I had always heard that their soaps were quite good. Has anybody tried out the new formula with a good frame of reference to the old one? How do they compare?

Sorry to drag up a thread that was long since deceased, but I received a couple AoS gift cards for Christmas. I was disappointed to see that the formula had changed so drastically, as I had always heard that their soaps were quite good. Has anybody tried out the new formula with a good frame of reference to the old one? How do they compare?

Here is my review when it was first released

Top Bottom