What's new

Barbasol Safety Razors

Anyone have any experience with these? Nice looking razor but how does it shave? Here is a link to a completed eBay auction 300192492323 (I didn't win)

They are large and have the reputation of being an aggressive razor.

Yes. Think Merkur HD on steroids.
Actually there are varieties.
I have one where the head is attached to the handle like a Merkur HD, it says Barbasol on the band at the base of the handle above the knob. This razor is too aggressive for me to use.
I have another one that looks the same but has no name on it, the head come off the handle and the head geometry is slightly different. This razor is a bit milder, like a fatboy on 8 or 9.

I think they are great. The long and heavy variety of course.
They come in two slightly differnt versions, one with the blade sitting right on top of the guard (not good), and one "floating" (much better).
Yes they are aggressive, but IMO not too much more than the Gillette New and Improved line.

That is one sexy razor...thanks for the photo Cutting Edge...really nice picture, by the way.

Do they work well with modern blades? Is that the advantage to the floating variety? Would you be able to tell which one it was just by looking at a photo?

I think they are great. The long and heavy variety of course.
They come in two slightly differnt versions, one with the blade sitting right on top of the guard (not good), and one "floating" (much better).
Yes they are aggressive, but IMO not too much more than the Gillette New and Improved line.

How are the two different? I have one just like the one in your picture. It certainly is a very aggressive razor . Which category does it belong to? Can you please post pictures of the two different types? Thanks

I was asked again about the two Barbasol razors, so I took some pictures side by side. One is a "floating" blade, which I believe is a "New and Improved" version, I personally like it better, and the other, the blade is resting on the comb. Small difference to notice by looking at - but a big difference in the shaving experience. Again, these razors are on the aggressive side...!
Top pic: the floating is on the right
2nd pic: floating on the left
3rd pic: floating on top
4th & 5th pics: floating on the right

V

VR6ofpain

Great photos. I have never seen one of these so close. Looks to be built to a very high standard.

V

VR6ofpain

I just scored one on the bay, but it was much more worn than I had hoped. Cleaning it up as we speak. Going to give it a shave. If I like the shave, it will sit next to my other ugly razor that shaves great, a GEM 1912. If I do not like the shave, it will be in the BST forum very soon! It ain't a looker like those posted here!

I have one of the model that cutting_edge describes as the "non floating blade" variety, which, as cooncatbob mentioned, has the handle that detaches from the head and does not have the "Barbasol" name on the handle.

I, personally, tend to prefer single edge razors, but of all the many double edge razors that I've tried, this big guy is one of my favorites. In my opinion, this is a superbly engineered razor that was manufactured to very high quality standards. :thumbup1:

Regards,
Tom

I have the one where the handle does not detach from the head and has the name Barbasol on the band at the base of the handle. I think it is the best safety bar DE I have used and it gives an excellent shave.

"Of course I want a close shave; if I didn't, I would grow a beard."

Richard

V

VR6ofpain

Got mine as clean as it could be. Going to give it a shave in the morning.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Cutting_edge -> Very nice pictures, love them!

Thank you for bringing this up from the past - it could easily qualify for Safety Razor Of The Week (SROTW)
The improved ("floating") version is still a basic three hole design. I find it curious that Barbasol came out with it around 1936, several years after Gillette came out with the slotted blades. IMO the combination of heft and aggressiveness is a winner - I enjoy shaving with it every so often - great shaver!

V

VR6ofpain

I am about to find out how the shave it this morning. I like how the top cap is just wide enough to cover the entire blade, including the ends. My only other razor that does this is the Vision.

Top Bottom