What's new

Cooking Challenge #3 - Making Tortillas

What happened was I Hulked out on my brand new tortilla press and snapped the handle! Turns out you can make serviceable tortillas by standing on the press.

Oh and I used parchment paper. Worked great! I recommend it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What happened was I Hulked out on my brand new tortilla press and snapped the handle! Turns out you can make serviceable tortillas by standing on the press.

:lol: you don't need to apply that much pressure. Just slowly press down and wait 2-3 seconds and open, that should be enough.

I wasn't pressing all that hard (the busted handle disagrees!) I'm just setting up a replacement from amazon- those tortillas were too good to only have them once.

Luc

Staff member
I wasn't pressing all that hard (the busted handle disagrees!) I'm just setting up a replacement from amazon- those tortillas were too good to only have them once.

After : Hulk! SMASH!

Craig! SMASH!

Good luck with the next tortilla press!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Now you can stomp some grapes and make some wine to go with those tortillas.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I made some flour tortillas today. The dough was elastic and just didn't work in the press. The dough shrank as soon as the press was opened. So I rolled them out like chapatti. Chapatti don't have the lard and baking powder and come out a bit crisper. Next batch I'll try a mix of corn flour and wheat flour.

Luc

Staff member
I made some flour tortillas today. The dough was elastic and just didn't work in the press. The dough shrank as soon as the press was opened. So I rolled them out like chapatti. Chapatti don't have the lard and baking powder and come out a bit crisper. Next batch I'll try a mix of corn flour and wheat flour.

I have better results using a rolling pin than a press when it comes to wheat tortillas. They will also shrink a bit while you roll if you keep at it, they will eventually be the size you want.

You can also use a cut-up plastic Zip-loc freezer bag--they're way thicker than plastic wrap.

Precisely what I do!

I didn't see anyone mention using a comal, and they're great for cooking up meats for tacos as well. They do need to be seasoned and maintained just like griddles.

What I haven't been able to reproduce is getting the tortilla to bubble up like they do in some of the YouTube videos. Delicious in any case!

I use plastic sandwich bags (zip-lock or otherwise). They are thicker and easier to peel from the tortilla (without 'wrinkles'). Yes, the secret is the correct consistency of the dough, and adding a little water at a time while kneading in a bread bowl is the best way to achieve that. Take a bit and pinch it in your fingers; if it cracks you need more water. A little dab will do ya. I also use two dry towels folded up, then flip it (first tortilla on top) over when brought to the table. The steam from the other tortillas keeps them moist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom