What's new

Warning: Total Noob Question

Go with a Sheaffer Imperial set from Peyton Street Pens. Either NoS or seconds. Great pens, classic and classy looks.

Cheers,

M.

I made the mistake of going to that Goldspot link and saw the carbon fiber Monteverde, and nearly bought it on the spot. BnB is going to end my marriage, between booze, blades, and writing instruments.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I made the mistake of going to that Goldspot link and saw the carbon fiber Monteverde, and nearly bought it on the spot. BnB is going to end my marriage, between booze, blades, and writing instruments.

At least you will have a good pen to sign with when you are served :biggrin:

So what your saying is... you haven't found the watch thread in the hab yet ?

I actually have, but my G-Shock is the best option for daily wear.

I have a vintage PW or two, and a Charles Hubert for when I am trying to raise the property values with my mere presence.

So it sounds like a decent first step would be to pick up a matching set of a fountain and a roller ball. Anyone want to volunteer to point me in the right direction with some good suggestions?

Thanks again for the warm welcome to The Nib, guys.

Colorado Pen has the Sheaffer 300 Chased Chrome on clearance (deeply discounted). I picked up the rollerball and the fountain pen, and they're going on my desk. They look classy too. Only consideration is that the fine nib is the only one left for the fountain pen.

Ok...follow up to my total noob question. The Pilot Metro showed up and it looks great, especially for 15 bucks!

Now the real question, how in the h do I put the ink in this plastic container into the pen? There's a rubber bladder inside the pen that I assume is what I'm supposed to fill, but how the heck do I crack open the ink and get it into the bladder??

Go easy on me...

Ok...follow up to my total noob question. The Pilot Metro showed up and it looks great, especially for 15 bucks!

Now the real question, how in the h do I put the ink in this plastic container into the pen? There's a rubber bladder inside the pen that I assume is what I'm supposed to fill, but how the heck do I crack open the ink and get it into the bladder??

Go easy on me...

What you have are two alternate forms of getting ink into the pen. The rubber bladder thingy is a cartridge converter to let you use bottled ink. You can dip the nib of the pen into an ink bottle, all the way to where it disappears into the pen, squeeze the bar on the converter to compress and decompress the sac, and ink will end up inside of it. Squeeze it at least three times, maybe more, and hold it in the ink for about 10 seconds after the last time. Pull it out and wipe off the nib and any other part of the pen that got ink on it with a paper towel or something that won't leave too much lint.

Or pull out the converter (it's just pressure fit, but pull it out by the metal shell of course), and push in the "plastic container", which is an ink cartridge. Comparing it to the converter, it should be obvious which end goes in first. You will hear a click or pop as the end of the cartridge is punctured. It may take several minutes for the ink to work its way to the feed, and it might help to angle the nib downward, but don't leave it too long like that. You can check at intervals, but leave the cap on when you aren't trying to write with it.

Last edited:

Go easy on me...
I'm assuming you have a bottle of ink that you want to use to fill your Metro. If that's the case, here's what you do: Stick the pointy end of the pen (the nib and feed) all the way into the ink bottle until it's completely covered. Press down on the rubber bladder (the sac) while holding the nib in the ink). Release the pressure. Ink should be sucked up into the sac when you let go. For good measure, do it a couple of more times...squeeze the sac to expel the ink and air, release, and let the ink get sucked back into the sac. You should then have a full load of ink in your pen. Take a tissue or paper towel and wipe off any ink off the grip portion of the pen, grab it between your fingers, and start writing! :thumbup1:

Ahh, got it. Thanks for the help, I realize how ridiculous of a question this has got to be hahaha.

Ahh, got it. Thanks for the help, I realize how ridiculous of a question this has got to be hahaha.

Just out of curiosity, did you use the converter or the cartridge? In the long run, using the converter should be less expensive, and gives you a wider choice of inks. Cartridges can be convenient for changing ink on the fly.

It's not a ridiculous question. Unless you're an old geezer like me, you didn't grow up knowing about fountain pens. Ball points and roller balls don't require any knowledge or skill. Welcome to the elite! :thumbup1:

Just out of curiosity, did you use the converter or the cartridge? In the long run, using the converter should be less expensive, and gives you a wider choice of inks. Cartridges can be convenient for changing ink on the fly.

I just threw the cartridge in since that's all I had. Ill def be picking up some ink for the for the converter though, that seems like it's a vital part of the whole experience!!

Thanks for the help, all!!!

If you have a staples near you Dustin, they should carry parker quink ink for about 8 bucks... a bottle will last you a long time

Just wait until you get Ink AD... I'm closing in on 30 bottles. :crying:

Perfect. That's where I shall start!

Glad to see you're up and running. I think you already know we, here in the NIB, are a friendly bunch and no question is ridiculous. If you want to try out some samples of ink, you can check this place out. They have a great selection of samples and also carry a con-50 converter if you would like to upgrade your metro. Pretty reasonable prices and if you're lucky, you'll get some jelly Belly's or a Tootsie pop with your order.:biggrin1:

http://www.gouletpens.com/

Glad to see you're up and running. I think you already know we, here in the NIB, are a friendly bunch and no question is ridiculous. If you want to try out some samples of ink, you can check this place out. They have a great selection of samples and also carry a con-50 converter if you would like to upgrade your metro. Pretty reasonable prices and if you're lucky, you'll get some jelly Belly's or a Tootsie pop with your order.:biggrin1:

http://www.gouletpens.com/

Newbie here too. Ive got another Lamy Safari on the way, some Noodlers bulletproof black, Waterman serenity ink and a couple of Z24 converters. I found the Goulet channel on youtube very helpful. The guy that does the videos is very articulate and he definitely seems passionate about pens. Think I'm going to have to order some ink from him eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInkNouveau
The fountain pens 101 videos are a great place for you to start.

Cartridges are great; I refill them with a syringe. For most pens, I have stopped messing with the small capacity converters.

Enjoy your pens!

PS, of course you don't need to refill your cartridges. You can also pop in a new one each time. But refilling saves waste and costs.

I let people sign stuff with my pen,.. I just smile at them when they pause looking at it, and say with a smile "Its just a pen, just dont press hard and you two will get along just fine". they usually smile and laugh a bit, and get a kick out of using it, certainly leaves an impression with them the way no ball point can

Plus, you get enable points when they realize how great it is.

Here's the simple solution to the "let them use it/don't you dare let them use it" debate. Simply buy 2 pens. Duh!

But really, you can get a really nice pen for yourself (Something vintage like a Parker 51 or a Pelikan 140 or something), then get a Metropolitan or something equally inexpensive/sturdy/classy for the customer to use.

Top Bottom