What's new

Fun With Shave Bowls (Seriously!)

Any type of bowl shaped vessel can be used to whip up shaving lather, so why do so many stores sell official “shave bowls” at exuberant prices? My only guess would be if a woman was buying it for her husband or boyfriend as a gift, because men won’t (and shouldn't) buy these. Men will just rummage through the cabinets to look for an old cereal bowl or candy dish or just mix the lather in the palm of their hand or directly on their face. That’s just the nature of men -- we’re simple creatures. However, we must also consider our better halves when the shaving accouterments are adorning the bathroom counter, because, most often, Mama don’t like junk on her counter. So, if you are looking for a shaving bowl that is nice enough to display in the bathroom, but also more budget-friendly than the over priced vessels that the stores are calling “shave bowls”, it is time to think outside the bowl…er, box.

I found nice looking, unique, and very inexpensive bowls that are the ideal size for making shaving lather in just by wandering through various stores like Target and Cost Plus. A fun, useful bowl can be found in the very place you don’t expect to find it, so it pays to search the aisles carefully. The bakeware aisle has some interesting options like soufflé dishes or ramekins, which are individual serving casserole dishes that sometimes come with lids. Onion soup bowls also make rather handy lather bowls -- literally. These handled single-serving soup crocks are ideal for those who really need a good grip when they go to town whipping up their lather, and again, they are available with or without lids. Also, look in areas where home decorating knick-knacks are displayed for some cool choices. Basically, the options are limited only to individual taste and imagination, so have fun with it and look around for something so unique that it “bowls” you over (sorry, I know that’s a terrible pun, but I couldn’t resist :biggrin:).

My first bowl. A plastic *** from the cabinet that we use for dipping sauces. I used this as a necessity only.

I bought this one at Target in the home decorating aisle for $2. An okay bowl, but the rounded bottom seem to push the lather up the sides.

The wife scored this one at Cost Plus for $3 or $4. Nice thick, heavy duty-duty ceramic that has a flat bottom and excellent heat retention. A really good bowl, but at 2 1/2", the depth is a shade more than I like.

My numero uno! I really wanted a polished stainless steel or chrome plated bowl to match my 38C and razor/brush stand. I found this one at Crate and Barrel for $10.95, and it is actually a wine bottle coaster that is constructed from 18/10 polished stainless steel. Very solid, with excellent dimensions at 4 1/2" wide and 1 3/4" deep.

Avoid these overpriced "shave bowls" from Crabtree and Evelyn. At $30 for the cream color and $35 for black, these thin, cheap looking and feeling bowls are just a waste of your hard earned money.
proxy.php
proxy.php

My numero uno! I really wanted a polished stainless steel or chrome plated bowl to match my 38C and razor/brush stand. I found this one at Crate and Barrel for $10.95, and it is actually a wine bottle coaster that is constructed from 18/10 polished stainless steel. Very solid, with excellent dimensions at 4 1/2" wide and 1 3/4" deep.

Nice find! Crate and Barrel is one of my most favorite stores, yet for some reason it never even crossed my mind to look for a lather bowl there. Doh!

Thanks for the info!

I just picked up a new bowl made bu Thomas OBrien...from Target.
Thick and heat retentive..So where's the pic???????..
I'll do that tomorrow..
I put it inside my former lather bowl that's filled with hot water
Tom

Top Bottom