What's new

Red Wing boots

I have been trying on the 10.5 D's I got from Zappos for a week or so now, wearing them about the house. I have realised that the issue I will likely have is in the heel. the mid foot is a bit snug, but wonder if this will break in? So, yesterday zappos go the EE in in 10.5 so I plunked down another $300 and ordered, luckily they are all returnable, hopefully the wider width is as Neognosis says above is really the true "D"...and not too wide for me...I really like they quality and styling of this boot. The wolverine Montgomery I had tried seemed less "ulilitarian" and more "fashion". This seems like a solid boot.

In my experience, the midfoot and heal will definitely break in. It just takes over a month. Like I said before, when I first got my Iron Rangers, I sized down to 11.5D (normal is 12D). They felt a little on the tight side, but the saleman advised that they would stretch a bit. He was right. If I would have stuck with the 12's my feet would be swimming in them right now. And during the first month or so, they absolutely chewed up my heels, but now they're comfortable and I can wear them all day long walking around town.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Probably because you are might actually be a "c" width.

How many times on this forum has someone complained about their redwings being too tight, when other brands of footwear's D width fits fine?
No problem for me, but then I refuse to by clothes or shoe online. Even with pants, a 34 inch waist made in Malasia is not the same as the 34 inch made in Viet Nam

Well you know there is a RW store in NRH !!
im over in Euless right now and building a new home in NRH
and oh yeah Red Wings rock. If I knew how to post a pic I would post
you the coolest set of Red Wings you ever saw !!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well you know there is a RW store in NRH !!
im over in Euless right now and building a new home in NRH
and oh yeah Red Wings rock. If I knew how to post a pic I would post
you the coolest set of Red Wings you ever saw !!
Oh, I know. The NRH store is where I got mine. Ted is a good guy.

Saw my first pair of Redwing boots yesterday in the small Redwing shop in London near Carnaby Street. Saw around 5 pairs of boots/shoes that I could happily have walked away with although I never tried any on. I thought that the leather might be stiff like a lot of the Doc Martens are but they were soft.

I used to work with hydraulics, hydraulic oil kills boots, i cared for my Steel Blues and were well waterproofed but the leather had rotted within two months, If i had my time again I would get the acid proof Oliver boots for that kind of work. I have not owned redwings, but ill shortly be a Chippewa man.

Let us know how they go, id love to hear how they go!

I bought a pair of Redwing #4412 probably 7 or 8 years ago and I love them and have worn them to work nearly everyday since. I've had them resoled once and probably due for another. Unfortunately, I think they discontinued the 4412 a few years back. Closest model now is probably the #2233, 8" steel toe with speed laces on top. Redwing will resole and give them a cleanup and new laces as part of the deal, but any cobbler should be able to resole. I'm on my feet a lot and work the boots hard, so I've added a gel insert, but a minor price to pay for boots that have lasted this long.

Saw my first pair of Redwing boots yesterday in the small Redwing shop in London near Carnaby Street. Saw around 5 pairs of boots/shoes that I could happily have walked away with although I never tried any on. I thought that the leather might be stiff like a lot of the Doc Martens are but they were soft.

Am planning on going to the same Redwing store on Tuesday (St. Patrick's day) to try some different types of boots on. From looking online visually the chukkas seem to be the most likely ones that I will buy, but will see how they feel on my feet, compared to some of the other models.

Got a pair of these in the end. I'm very fond of the leather colour and how the laces look in contrast. Just need to break them in now. :001_smile

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/product/footwear/6-inch-boots/6-round-briar-08196

$image.jpg

I think they're great. My stepfather wore them forever, so when I got my first pair of work boots that's naturally what I was steered towards. The particular shop I went to was incredibly professional, and the guy working the place/fitting me/repairing boots seemed to be a very serious about his job, a proper craftsman. Anyways, they've got a gagillion styles to choose from, but make sure you note the difference between the made in China and made in USA boots. Honestly, I worked everyday in my made in China versions, and they're still kicking hard. I simply cant cough up $350 dollars for American made boots whose job it is to get destroyed. Maybe one day when I'm loaded.

Top Bottom