What's new

Red Wing boots

Got a pair of 2408's on right now (8 inch, steel toe, burgundy) and have nothing but good things to say about them. They've lasted for 3 years with one re-sole and two sets of inserts with normal care. I use Obenauf's oil and paste for care, I might color them up once or twice a year w/ their paste just to get the color back on them. I walk down a power plant at work, and end up doing quite a long hike across catwalks, cement, ladders, stairs, gravel, etc. and haven't had a problem with my footwear. Don't see myself buying another brand ever again (although I do want to send my measurements in to White's, just to see what they feel like).

Sounds like the only gripe people have in this thread can be traced to crappy customer service. The RW store local is run by a woman who knows very well how to size your foot and recommend boots accordingly. I tried to convince her I wanted a pair of slip-ons (after she told me my foot wouldn't work with them) and tried on 4 or 5 different pairs, each just as uncomfortable. After reading this, one recommendation would be "Don't buy RW slip-ons". But the woman knew her prouducts well enough that she knew the answer long before I did... just a random thought to throw out there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Got a pair of 2408's on right now (8 inch, steel toe, burgundy) and have nothing but good things to say about them. They've lasted for 3 years with one re-sole and two sets of inserts with normal care. I use Obenauf's oil and paste for care, I might color them up once or twice a year w/ their paste just to get the color back on them. I walk down a power plant at work, and end up doing quite a long hike across catwalks, cement, ladders, stairs, gravel, etc. and haven't had a problem with my footwear. Don't see myself buying another brand ever again (although I do want to send my measurements in to White's, just to see what they feel like).

Sounds like the only gripe people have in this thread can be traced to crappy customer service. The RW store local is run by a woman who knows very well how to size your foot and recommend boots accordingly. I tried to convince her I wanted a pair of slip-ons (after she told me my foot wouldn't work with them) and tried on 4 or 5 different pairs, each just as uncomfortable. After reading this, one recommendation would be "Don't buy RW slip-ons". But the woman knew her prouducts well enough that she knew the answer long before I did... just a random thought to throw out there.
I had a good experience at my local store- the person seemed to take great interest in my work and fitting me properly. Of course, most people get interested when I say I work on flight simulators.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and I am a shovel head rider too- 1983 FXE with a Leineweber oversized cam and a 49 tooth (as opposed to the stock 51) rear sprocket. It is scary fast, and the only people who beat me off the line are the crotch rocket guys. I am putting out 94 horses with 108 ft lbs of torque on a 550 lb motorcycle. It makes me smile.

First pair of Red Wings I owned served me well for about 17 years. Cannot remember how many soles and heels exactly I went through (3 soles and 5 heels seems right). Finally the leather just wore out. Stll sold the silly things on the Bay to some guy in the SF Bay area. I really don't want to know what their final fate was.

Currently have another pair of the same boot. Original soles and heels. Had them for about 9 years. Wearing actually a bit better than their predecessors because now they do not get worn on a daily basis. They are however still seeing Yeoman's duty and are doing just fine. Highly recommended. Hopefully this model is still American Made....
View attachment 355466

These are the types of Red Wings that I've had since college, and I can tell you that they still hold up! They aren't the prettiest to look at, but they work just like they're meant to, and I still use them whenever I head out to the ranch. These boots are comfortable, last forever, and even look pretty cool when they're beat up (like mine). Big thumbs up.

Hi,

The guys in the RW store in Garner NC (Just South of Raleigh) do really well in the service department.

On the motorcycle front, I ride a 78 Honda GL-1000. That is a Gen 2 Goldwing, but not at all like the later Wings. It is a Sport bike more than the Touring bike it morphed into. It is so much different that I trimmed the 'G' off the nameplates! :lol:

Stan

Last edited:
I had a good experience at my local store- the person seemed to take great interest in my work and fitting me properly. Of course, most people get interested when I say I work on flight simulators.

so did you end up taking anything home yet? :biggrin1:

I have a pair of 899's that i cant stand. The store clerk sized me at an 11D and they do nothing but give me insane blisters on my heels. I think they're way too big. They're also about as comfortable as hockey skates. I wear a 10.5 normally and a 10 in Docs so maybe i just need to trade someone who ordered too small? i dunno.

I have the same issue with my Iron Rangers. The authorized retailer insisted that I go with a 9.5, which is about my true size. Researching online, most people go down a size. They are a touch too big(not uncomfortably big, but not my "ideal" fit) with a medium weight sock. I probably should of went with a size 9. Anyway, a local show store sells leather insoles. I plan on picking up pair, hoping they make the boots fit more snug.

I have a pair of 899's that i cant stand. The store clerk sized me at an 11D and they do nothing but give me insane blisters on my heels. I think they're way too big. They're also about as comfortable as hockey skates. I wear a 10.5 normally and a 10 in Docs so maybe i just need to trade someone who ordered too small? i dunno.

yeah i vaguely remember him saying something like "the 11 is basically the same size as a 10.5 but a little wider". I should have just been more patient and gotten the right fit but he looked exactly like Otto Delaney from Sons of Anarchy and i wasn't about to tell him no. I dont know if my heel will even stay put in these, i might try a thick insole and just suffer till they're soft. I really want a pair of iron rangers in copper or the beckman chukka antique cigar.

mighty kind of you, looks like those are sold already!
i was actually just looking at ebay for some options to sell these and get something smaller/wider. I might go to the local Red Wing store and see what they have to try on and test. Should put something up in the BST once i get access to trade.

Here are my 875s that I love. They run a size big but they're so comfortable and tough as nails

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 162

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Iron Rangers are the best! Been sporting mine for 3 years!
If it weren't for the sole I might have got them. Nothing worse than planting your foot while on a 600 lb motorcycle and start to feel said foot start to slip.

I haven't worn RWs since 1978. Not because I didn't like them, but because the paramedics cut off the pair I had just bought that day when I got knocked off my Sportster by a left turning vette in Vegas. I'm not superstitious, but I just can't seem to bring myself to get another pair!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I haven't worn RWs since 1978. Not because I didn't like them, but because the paramedics cut off the pair I had just bought that day when I got knocked off my Sportster by a left turning vette in Vegas. I'm not superstitious, but I just can't seem to bring myself to get another pair!

Yeah, that might stop me from buying again :001_smile

Top Bottom