What's new

Bryan's Prep - For Headshavers

Intro

Hi. I'm Bryan and I shave my head daily with a variety of single and double edge razors. As I progressed and started using increasingly aggressive razors such as the 2011 R41 and the Merkur Futur (highest setting), I realize I was having trouble with tugging and bouncing. The hair on my head just wouldn't soften up regardless of what I did. I tried Kyle's Prep and other techniques offered in the forum. I tried eliminating as many variables as I could, practiced making lathers several times a day, and so forth. I wanted to be able to shave my head comfortably every day. Without waiting 2-3 days in between shaves, I'd end up with raw, razor burnt skin.

I finally came up with a technique that works for me and it incorporates a lot of different styles that I liked. Here is a step by step instructional post on how I get my head prepared for a BBS, spa-like experience.

The Process

attachment.php

01. Prepare your gear

Start soaking your brush and have your arsenal of shaving tools ready.

$1.jpg

02. Hot shower and thoroughly scrub the hairs on your head.

The key here is to scrub your hair, not your skin. I recommend Nivea Scrub. I know it may be obvious to most but this is something subtle that you may or may not do. I like to rinse the scrub out and continually rub my hair to hydrate the crap out of it... for the slicing is about to begin!

03. Pre-shave Oils / Creams

After getting out of the shower, I dry off my body leaving my head wet. Though controversial as to their effectiveness, I can definitely notice a difference when I use pre-shave oils and creams. Anyways, this is where I apply the product, while continually splashing water. Excessive WATER is the key to a good prep. Proraso Preshave tends to dry out your skin so adding water helps.

$05.jpg

04. Load your brush (10-20 seconds) --
lather directly on your head for ~30 seconds.

This is where my technique is slightly different than others. I like to produce a mediocre lather here, just enough to cover my entire head. It doesn't have to be pretty. Watery is better. Let this soupy lather sit and go back to your soap. Continue to fully load your brush for a solid minute (I like a lot of lather for my head / face shave).

$3.jpg

05. Create lots and lots of wonderful lather.
While that weak lather sits on your head, hit the bowl hard (pun not intended). Take your time and create thick, yogurt-like, slick lather!

$4.jpg

============================================

06. Wet your hands and rub the soap in

This is when the magic happens. After your bowl lathering is done, set it down and take both hands and rub your favorite soap into your skin and hair. Keep adding water from the faucet until that lather is basically gone.​ You'll end up with a soupy, slick head that is PRIME for any razor in your arsenal.

Because of this step, your skin will feel amazing after your shave is complete. Give it a try; you won't regret it!

============================================

07. Apply lather and shave!

Now that your head is feeling uber lubricated, apply that beautiful lather made in your bowl to your dome and enjoy a super smooth, easy, relaxing shave.

Note: I have no trouble shaving my face and thorough prep isn't necessary at all. However, the hair on my head is like steel, especially when it only has a day worth of growth. Taking these steps has greatly improved the quality and overall experience. Hopefully, this guide can help out other fellow headshavers who experience any difficulties during their daily routine!

Thanks!
Bryan

Attachments

• $01.jpg
    $01.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
I've been very tempted to shave the few hairs that remain on my head off! This will certainly come in handy when I finally do it!

I've been very tempted to shave the few hairs that remain on my head off! This will certainly come in handy when I finally do it!

Don't think or hesitate! You're a member of B&B so you love shaving. What's better than adding some serious real estate to the mix that requires additional skills and products? Plus a nice clean shaven head looks much better than male pattern baldness. I started thinning out at 20 and now 6 years later, am very comfy with my new look. Hey my girlfriend loves it too ;)

Hi Bryan: Thanks for sharing my friend. Glad to see another head shaver and great post. For those of you fellow B&Bers who only have a few strands of hair or balding... embrace your baldness and shave it smoooooooth. I promise that you won't regret it. This post here is another example on how I hope that we have a sub forum on HEAD SHAVING.

WARHAWK

Awesome tutorial Bryan! I will have to try this the next time I shave my head.

Thanks man!

I wanted to contribute to the community and maybe help someone who's going through the same struggles as I once did.

I find that most problems lie within prep or at least in my case. It's especially important when starting to shave through traditional means. Having a thoroughly thick and protective lather can make or break someone's shave when they're fumbling around with angles, new blades and razors.

Last edited:
Hi Bryan: Thanks for sharing my friend. Glad to see another head shaver and great post. For those of you fellow B&Bers who only have a few strands of hair or balding... embrace your baldness and shave it smoooooooth. I promise that you won't regret it. This post here is another example on how I hope that we have a sub forum on HEAD SHAVING.

WARHAWK

Absolutely. It makes you feel and look like a thiusand bucks.

Great post Bryan! Awesome tutorial for those who may not realize why their headshaves aren't going as well as they would like. I follow a similar routine. I use a brush and soap, but I'm still a headblader, and probably will be for a while. This thread is good for reminding people that prep is likely the most important element in shaving, whether its head or face or anything else. Only have had a smooth noggin for about 2 weeks and I'm so happy I made the decision; way better than pattern baldness and like Bryan said, more real estate to shave!

Excellent contribution! YMMV, and no big deal, but why bother rubbing the soap into your scalp with your hands, when that's what the brush does? Interesting that your scalp hair is tougher to shave than your facial hair: from what I've read, and from my personal experience, it's commonly the opposite, as--the problem of blind spots and blade angles aside-- the scalp hair tends to protrude at a fairly uniform and favorable angle, which, in spite of the bristle texture, facilitates cutting. In any case, thanks for the helpful contribution.

Excellent contribution! YMMV, and no big deal, but why bother rubbing the soap into your scalp with your hands, when that's what the brush does? Interesting that your scalp hair is tougher to shave than your facial hair: from what I've read, and from my personal experience, it's commonly the opposite, as--the problem of blind spots and blade angles aside-- the scalp hair tends to protrude at a fairly uniform and favorable angle, which, in spite of the bristle texture, facilitates cutting. In any case, thanks for the helpful contribution.

That may be so but I think that the skin on your head is much tighter and absorbs products less. So when you rub the soap in with your hands, I get more absorption and slickness. Using your hands as if it is a lotion is a more efficient way of doing it: more surface area than a brush and you get the physical sensation of touch --- massaging the scalp/hair and working on spots that may not be lubricated enough. But hey... That's just how I look at it.

I love being hands on with my technique; going by feel you can truly tell when the lubrication is just right. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Definitely trying this; I have Proraso preshave on the way. I currently only shave my head every other day, but I usually forget, so sometimes it's every few days, then I have to buzz it down to a good height...you get the idea. Being able to shave it every day would be excellent. I picked up some Nivea scrub yesterday after you posted your method in the Head Shaver's thread.

Definitely trying this; I have Proraso preshave on the way. I currently only shave my head every other day, but I usually forget, so sometimes it's every few days, then I have to buzz it down to a good height...you get the idea. Being able to shave it every day would be excellent. I picked up some Nivea scrub yesterday after you posted your method in the Head Shaver's thread.

Great! I am super stoked to help someone out. Let me know how it goes.

Proraso preshave is the best; make sure to keep adding water to your hair after you mix it in because it does dry up. It has a fantastic menthol feel to it as well.

If this guide becomes popular enough and "sticky worthy", I'll revise it and add more. I just wanted to test the waters and see if anyone enjoyed it.

I did!

I've yet to do two headshaves 24 hours apart and was waiting to do that before I posted any results. However, I did shave my head this morning which was about 36 hours after my last head shave. Zero irritation and btw, these are by far the smoothest head shaves I've ever had.

I'm ashamed to admit though that I'm still doing this with a Mach 3. I haven't gotten in to DE/SE yet, and my only straight is a very cheap shavette style. It's really too light to shave against the grain; it takes a ton of pressure to get it to move. So...I'm going to order a starter kit from Larry soon and hopefully that'll make for a better head shave.

I did!

I've yet to do two headshaves 24 hours apart and was waiting to do that before I posted any results. However, I did shave my head this morning which was about 36 hours after my last head shave. Zero irritation and btw, these are by far the smoothest head shaves I've ever had.

I'm ashamed to admit though that I'm still doing this with a Mach 3. I haven't gotten in to DE/SE yet, and my only straight is a very cheap shavette style. It's really too light to shave against the grain; it takes a ton of pressure to get it to move. So...I'm going to order a starter kit from Larry soon and hopefully that'll make for a better head shave.

Fantastic. That's great to hear. I've been doing this prep daily for a few weeks now and get BBS everytime!

This method maximizes comfort and slickness to another level IMO.

Give it a try and post your results!!

Top Bottom