What's new

Looks like Indian is back in Business

Yeah...I remember when Harley almost went Tango-Uniform and the US Government had to step in back during the Regan years.

"In the early eighties, Harley-Davidson claimed that Japanese manufacturers were importing motorcycles into the US in such volume as to harm or threaten to harm domestic producers. After an investigation by the US International Trade Commission, President Reagan imposed in 1983 a 45% tariff on imported bikes and bikes over 700 cc engine capacity. Harley-Davidson subsequently rejected offers of assistance from Japanese motorcycle makers. However, the company did offer to drop the request for the tariff in exchange for loan guarantees from the Japanese"

...and apparently again more recently, but they had company:

"Recently divulged information reveals that the Federal Reserve secretly loaned trillions of dollars to major corporations between 2008 and 2009, and that Harley-Davidson received a total of $2.3 billion to help cover operating expenses during the economic crisis.

Harley wasn’t alone. The Fed’s Commercial Paper Funding Facility also disbursed $26.8 billion to Ford, Toyota, and BMW. Large corporations including General Electric, McDonald’s, and Verizon also received assistance, as well as financial institutions like Citigroup, Barclays, and Goldman Sachs. The total amount loaned? $3.3 trillion."

No reason Indian shouldn't give it a go....we'll pick up the slack if necessary. Nothing US tax dollars haven't done before. And so it goes............

Last edited:
website doesn't say, but the last time it was S&S

The engine is called the "thunderstroke 111."

ONE cc bigger than HD's engine. Heh.

IT is made by Indian (polaris)

There will no doubt be more american made parts on this bike than are found on my HD.

I am already starting a savings account for one of these potentially, when my little sportster finally dies. Though, 35K and no issues... I might just get 100K out of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-uCh2KN_s

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/0...-new-indian-thunder-stroke-111-v-twin-engine/

entirely new, free-standing design, sharing nothing with previous Indian revivals or Polaris’ existing Victory motorcycle products.
http://www.cyclenews.com/407/20885/Racing-Article/The-New-Indian-Thunder-Stroke-111.aspx

The all-new Thunder Stroke 111 is built in Osceola, Wisconsin at the Polaris Industries Engine Assembly Plant, with future full unit motorcycle assembly taking place in Polaris’ production facility in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Told my wife today that I want one. I gave up my (paid for) Triumph Thruxton a couple of years ago when she lost her job. Can't afford the Chief at the moment, but I won't get a fight from her when we can.

Decided I will have one of these in my garage in the next 5 years.

I think the new Polaris Indian has a very good chance to do well vs Harley. As a previous poster says Polaris is a strong company.

Harley has never impressed me much as a machine...but they are extremely good at marketing...a lifestyle.

I've ridden motorcycles since '65...currently have two vintage bikes...a '67 Matchless 750cc G15 CS Scrambler (Desert Sled)...Norton engine shoehorned into a Matchless frame....by the factory. Had this bike 14 years.

Also a '78 Yamaha SR500....big single 4 stroke. Had this bike since it was new in April, 1978.

I think this is great news! It would be nice to see another American bike on the road in larger numbers. I know Victory has been around a while, but around here at least, you never see them on the roads. Plus, I always thought they were kind of funky looking.

I'd like to see them give Harley a run for their money. HD does have some great-looking bikes (the Fatboy comes to mind), but the whole culture is a bit much. To me, Harley is to motorcycles as John Deere is to tractors: You pay a lot of extra money to get those names, and it's just as much about selling t-shirts and hats as it is the equipment. How many people do you see, who've never been on the seat of a tractor, wearing a John Deere shirt? Likewise with HD gear. Where I work, the people who own HD's hardly ever ride them. Of course, they're in management, nobody else can afford a new Harley these days.

There's a guy at work who has a newer Road King in white. Beautiful bike, but I think he has every HD accessory they sell at the dealer. They really saw him coming!

My past boss had a penultimate Indian, he is a rider with 40+ years worth of wind in his hair (well maybe 25 with hair, lol!), he told me that it was nothing more than buying into an exclusive club. It rode like crap, was nothing of a long haul bike and only rode it to the yacht club on occasion for kicks. He does still have his HD dyna wide glide and puts over 10K/year on it. I rode the Indian once, but not being and american bike guy (or much of any motorcycle kind of guy) I wasn't impressed, other than I couldn't afford to fix or replace the exhaust pipe if I scratched it.

He and I are still good friends, I wonder if he is going to be picking one of these up.

-Xander

Top Bottom