What's new

Honing question

I have a DMT 8K, Chinese 12K, and Tony Miller paddle strop with paste on 3 sides-- 3.0, 1.0, and .5.

With this setup, does anyone have any suggestions (assuming the razor is not shave ready but does not need any repair work) what order would one use with that equipment to get the best edge?

Thanks for the help!

I am not a honemeister, but I'm assuming that the razor you have won't pass the HHT or cut arm hairs cleanly.

If that's the case, you may actually need a coarser hone - most guys use a Norton 4k/8k for new razors or e-bay razors in good condition.

I would start with your 8k and then, once you can cut arm hairs cleanly with the edge, move to either the 12k or to the 1 micron paste. The 12k is a finishing stone and you should be able to get a good edge from it alone. If you use the 1 micron paste, you should then move to the .5 micron (which I believe is about 50k grit equivalent - someone will correct me if I'm wong!).

There's a whole comparison between different types of finishing hones/pastes in the straight section and you should take a look at that.

However, to answer your question, you might need a coarser stone to set an initial bevel before progressing to your collection of fine/very fine hones and pastes.

DMT's are fast cutting IIRC. So you might be OK starting with the 8K, it may take a bit longer if you don't have a 4K or 5K to start with.

Top Bottom