Thread: Breaking in the Chinese 12K

Default Breaking in the Chinese 12K

The Lapping

Let me just start by saying the Norton flattening stone works fast. Of course, it's possible I could have just lucked into a very nearly flat 12K, but still...

I drew a pencil grid on both sides, wet down both stones, and did about 30 seconds on each side to see which was closest to flat. They were about the same, so I arbitrarily picked one and went to town.

I stopped periodically to rinse off the 12K and the Norton. when I finally got that side flat (all the pencil marks gone and the entire side in contact with the Norton) I flipped the 12K and went to town on the other side.

Time from drawing the pencil grids to having both sides flat? 30 minutes. I was a bit surprised, considering the 12K's pretty tough reputation.

The Honing

So, since the razor I was testing on was still in pretty good shape, I only did 4 laps on the DMT 8K. No worries there.

Moving on to the 12K. I wound up doing about 25 laps there. I don't have a magnifier to check the edge, but I was watching the water wave in front of the blade. By about the 22nd pass I was starting to see another very small wave appear in front of the main mass of the water being pushed by the blade, so I assumed at that point the edge was about there and stopped.

The Test

To preface - the hanging hair test doesn't work very well for me. My hair is pretty coarse, and even a wicked-sharp razor from a honemeister, or straight off a .25 micron paddle, won't pop one of my hairs. The razor DID slice off the hairs on my arms, though. I guess I'll find out how well I did in the morning.
    - E.J.

My [url="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14714"]Hall of Fame entry[/url].

Hmm, I have a Chinese 12K in the mail. I hope mine is as close to flat as you say yours was.
    Best, Ken.

Both sides of mine seemed to have a slight bulge in the middle.
    - E.J.

My [url="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14714"]Hall of Fame entry[/url].

Images

I had some droops on the sides, regardless. Prelapping the stone is extremely smooth, almost glasslike in nature.

The Shave

Wow. Really smooth. It wasn't the closest shave I've ever had (I was in a bit of a hurry) but the razor just seemed to glide across my face. Much nicer than the finish from a 0.25 micron pasted strop.
    - E.J.

Alameda, CA former home of the nuclear "wessel", the Enterprise

One of these days I'll have to get around to lapping the other side of my 12K...

Images

I used the Norton flattening stone on mine and had similar results, unfortunately the one side of my chinese 12k has a chip on it so to use that side would require some serious work, but hopefully I'll never need it.
    Jim

I also used a Norton flattening stone on my Chinese 12k. My 12K was irregular on both sides and it also took me about 30 minutes to flatten it. I have a antique barber hone that is closer to glass then stone I figure it must be around 15K. No that puts a polish on a bevel!
    God is Good, He watches over me, I use a straight razor.