What's new

Breaking Bad

By far the best new show on TV. Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor.

proxy.php

What's it about? Why is it so good?

Hal, from Malcolm in the Middle, is a nerdy chemistry teacher who finds out he'll be dead in a few months. He has a terminal case of inoperable lung cancer.

He decides to "break bad" and cook chrystal meth with some burn-out ex-student of his.

Things go downhill right away.

The show is well-acted, well-written, exciting, shocking, and funny at times.

He was amazing in Malcolm in the Middle (got the whole series at home). If he's anywhere near as good he'll be amazing in this too.

He was amazing in Malcolm in the Middle (got the whole series at home). If he's anywhere near as good he'll be amazing in this too.

He had a nice small role in LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.

He was also great as Dr. Tim Whatley on Seinfeld.

I'm sad I don't have AMC right now. I thought MAD MEN was fantastic, though I only got to watch the first 6 or so episodes..

-Mason

This is one of the best shows in a long time. Last night was hilarious. "And don't sell my husband marijuana!" :w00t:

yes he is a great actor and I thought the show is very good even tho it is probably to risky of a plot to keep the show around you know it is about drugs and a very hip drug in todays drug culture so it is about things that happen every day but knobody wants to admitt it or confront it so i think the show will be short lived but it is still a great show

yes he is a great actor and I thought the show is very good even tho it is probably to risky of a plot to keep the show around you know it is about drugs and a very hip drug in todays drug culture so it is about things that happen every day but knobody wants to admitt it or confront it so i think the show will be short lived but it is still a great show

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.:thumbup1:

Hal, from Malcolm in the Middle, is a nerdy chemistry teacher who finds out he'll be dead in a few months. He has a terminal case of inoperable lung cancer.

He decides to "break bad" and cook chrystal meth with some burn-out ex-student of his.

Things go downhill right away.

The show is well-acted, well-written, exciting, shocking, and funny at times.

I think it should be added that his family is having financial problems, he has a baby on the way, and his son has some sort of neurological problem. He starts making meth as a get rich quick scheme to help his family.

At first I thought it was really funny, then things got serious. Now I would say it is better because it's dealing with real issues. It's really about what a normal guy is capable of when circumstances out of his control become extremely adverse. In this case his only hope of not having his family fall into extreem poverty after he dies is to get involved with drug dealers. Being a chemist by trade he makes really good meth, so it's a natural fit.

Its worth watching, but it is disturbing and may leave you feeling a little uneasy. It is not one of those shows where violence has no consequences, in this show the consequences of bad decisions are obvious.

it is probably to risky of a plot to keep the show around you know it is about drugs and a very hip drug in todays drug culture so it is about things that happen every day but knobody wants to admitt it or confront it so i think the show will be short lived but it is still a great show

I think the fact that it shows the negative side of meth culture will help it. Who considders meth hip? I must live in a different world. The only thing I could see hurting the shows longevity is that the main character is supposed to die in three months.

My opinion, what makes a great TV show is the writing more than the actors. What happened to the Seinfeld gang after they moved on to other shows, for example? And "Breaking Bad" has superb writing...the situations, the dialog, everything. Me, I am betting his cancer will go into remission or something. We will see. The show has become a "must watch" for me, and I don't have many.

He's a teacher, but he's certainly not too smart, if he was, he'd know it is easier and more lucrative to make Ecstasy. Plus he could be making his own "designer" drugs that are legal till they are discovered and be making far more there than he ever could with meth. But I guess meth is something people know about and "understand."

He's a teacher, but he's certainly not too smart, if he was, he'd know it is easier and more lucrative to make Ecstasy. Plus he could be making his own "designer" drugs that are legal till they are discovered and be making far more there than he ever could with meth. But I guess meth is something people know about and "understand."

Also, and I may be completely wrong, meth is a much nastier business than ecstasy, therefore it makes for a much more interesting show.

I'm now wondering how the woman from the flashbacks is going to get worked into the story.

Good show. While there are some comedy moments, it's dark comedy. The show as a whole got real dark real quick.

But he has no connections. He knows a guy who can get meth sold. He knows how to make meth, while some designer drug would require some "research and development", which he doesn't exactly have time for. I don't think it's too far fetched that he'd go for the obvious solution...

The only thing I could see hurting the shows longevity is that the main character is supposed to die in three months.
I don't mind that. There's no shame in doing one or two series and then quitting.

Rant mode: In a way I think it's a shame that so many series just go on and on. A lot of series that were good or excellent at the start dive into mediocrity after seasons and seasons of writers trying to squeeze the final drops out of something.

Rant mode: In a way I think it's a shame that so many series just go on and on. A lot of series that were good or excellent at the start dive into mediocrity after seasons and seasons of writers trying to squeeze the final drops out of something.

I agree, in this case it's more like reading a book, I know it has an ending. If they do find some way to get out of killing him off it would be so stupid that I will probably stop watching.

They said he has three months, and so far I would guess that they're at least a week or two into it.

But he has no connections. He knows a guy who can get meth sold. He knows how to make meth, while some designer drug would require some "research and development", which he doesn't exactly have time for. I don't think it's too far fetched that he'd go for the obvious solution...

I don't mind that. There's no shame in doing one or two series and then quitting.

For your first point, true, although my note about x still stands, his friend could stand near just about any club and make good sales.

As for your second, I also agree, and I am happy that one of my favorite shows is finishing up it's story and going off air this year. It's on it's seventh year, and while has stayed high quality for those 7 years, they really couldn't keep it up if they tried to keep going.

Top Bottom