What's new

Face Lathering Vs Bowl/Scuttle

Face Lather Vs Bowl Lather

• I mostly Face Lather

• I mostly Bowl/Scuttle Lather

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to bowl lather exclusively, but a few months ago I tried face lathering, and have never gone back. My beard is much softer and the first pass is much smoother when face lathering. The extra lather time, and perhaps the scrubbing and cleaning make for a much better shave for me.

I started bowl lathering a year ago and then one day tried face lathering instead and I've seldom gone back. When I'm shaving just my face I don't need a bowl full of lather, I just need enough for 3 or 4 passes and I can achieve that just fine face lathering. If I am face and head shaving and using certain soap or brush combo I might use a bowl because of the need for more lather to finish with. It seems to me that my lather from a bowl is not as effective as the lather from face lathering. Maybe because I spend less time applying it when using the bowl and it doesn't condition my face enough.

I face lather because I know how. I do not bowl/scuttle lather because I do not know how. And I like face lather sufficiently well enough that I have no desire to learn how to bowl lather.

I started face lathering because I shave in the shower and it's just easier (I'm lazy!). I can lather in a bowl (and do so occasionally) but I really don't see any real advantage for me. I find it easier to lather most products on my face and far easier to control the water level.

I face lather because I know how. I do not bowl/scuttle lather because I do not know how. And I like face lather sufficiently well enough that I have no desire to learn how to bowl lather.

Same here. I didn't know about bowl lathering when I started shaving. And when I learned about it, I already had established a face lathering routine that works for me.

Wow, it surprised me how many people face lather. I would have guessed that bowl lathering would have been more popular.

Same here.

I've facelathered always (that's to say over 35 years) and I like it, really. Apart from the obvious benefits (the massage, the scrubbing action, the process of creating fragrant lather all over your face and checking up how it's going), the question is: Silvertip on your face or on a bowl??:tongue_sm

YMMV, of course.

I can see not wanting to store it or worry about breaking it, but I don't buy the less clean up argument for face lathering over bowl lathering....it's rinsing a bowl under a sink guys, it's not that difficult. :001_rolle
If you have hard water then you have soap scum, so yes more than just a quick rinse.

I always feel like a bowl is another thing to clutter the shaving area. Also seems like a waste, if I can keep all the lather on my face or brush I feel like I get more bank for the buck out of my soap.

I always feel like a bowl is another thing to clutter the shaving area. Also seems like a waste, if I can keep all the lather on my face or brush I feel like I get more bank for the buck out of my soap.

+1 And I like the feel of really working the lather into the beard!

Although there are several really nice bowls and scuttles to buy and collect.......

I face lather when I travel but prefer to use my scuttle when I am at home. I like to Uberlather and for me the bowl or scuttle is the object to use.

I am surprised that there is so much contention on this issue. When I bowl lather I work the lather into my beard just as much as I do when I face lather with a shave stick.

When I started shaving I used either a cream or soap (I didn't learn about shave sticks until many years later) and I watched my father and grandfather work lather in a shaving mug. In fact, my grandfather used soap chips that was almost like a powder to make lather. At that time I never heard of face lathering. I would be curious if any older shavers had the same experience, i.e. not knowing anything about face lathering when they first started shaving.

I bowl lather as that is how I learned and what I am used to. I did face lather once but I killed my face. The lather was great and it was quicker but my skin is either too thin or too sensitive. My skin was red, dry, and peeling for several days. Although soft, I am sure my Omega boar and it hefty backbone played a part in that. I will definitely try face-lathering again when i get a silvertip brush.

I create my lather in a bowl. I've tried face lathering numerous times, and find I get better results with the bowl.

It may in fact be a lack of 'skill', I just find there is far too much time trying to get the lather correct (removal of air bubbles) face lathering, when I can get the perfect lather in the bowl.

99% of the time I bowl lather...on the rare occassion I'm running late (really late) I face lather with a shave stick.

The only advantage to bowl lathering is that it gives more control over hydration when using finicky soaps. my solution: don't use finicky soaps

The only reasons I can see for bowl lathering is that:
1) Face lathering requires additional skill
I wouldn't say that it requires more skill. I find the added feedback beneficial for lather building.

2) Some complain that face-lathering scratches/exfoliates their face too much (although again - I think this can be solved with skill upgrades)
Depends on the cause.

I too work the lather into my face when I bowl lather and never understand the comments about face lathering allowing you to work the lather into your beard, exfoliate or whatever. I have mentioned it before and maybe someone can explain this? What's the difference? (none)
It's simply a matter of time. The time spent building lather in the bowl isn't time spent with the lather on the face. Given the same amount of time to build and apply lather using both techniques, the face latherer will have had the lather on the face longer. It's just more efficient.

Now whether that matters or not is a matter of personal preference. If you spend more time working the lather onto the face with bowl lathering then of course it's the same either way.

Ultimately, each person needs to try both and use what works best for that person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom