What's new

Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43

Bloody ell, some people start asking me if I'm done with their razor after about a week (I know it's just excitement in most cases :)! - A YEAR? 2 to 3 months? I do restoration as a hobby and get around 5 to 10 razors a week on average and I usually manage to turn them around in about 3 weeks maximum unless some fixing is required.

I have been known to take a month or two to make custom scales for straights and restoration of a vintage blade, but more than a month for standard replating work on a safety razor is excessive, I'd say.

(I can't be held responsible for postal time with Royal Mail or US Postal Service, but I'd add another 20 days maximum for postage each way to/from USA to Blighty.)

I suspect that some 'replating' guys are sending out the work to a third party and the third party is adding the razors to a batch of bigger items as and when they can. Fine, if the customer is prepared to wait and the work is of a fine quality, but often large scale platers are not interested, or equipped to do detail work on something like a razor - which is why I started doing my own in the first place.

The work on the razor looks absolutely fine though.

The plating job looks perfect. I guess I am a bit confused, if they did a great job why wouldn't you use them again? As someone who has sent car parts off to platers, the wait to get parts back can be a year. Very few people do this anymore due to the toxic nature of the chemicals used in the plating process and EPA requirements. A 2-3 month wait doesn't seem so bad for what looks like an outstanding job. Certainly their website indicates a significant wait. I did the search on the past forums and saw the problems but this experience looks pretty good to me.
Rob

Last edited:
Hello All,
First let me say I really like the B&B site. The member's advice here in the forums has been very helpful to me since I switched over to DE wet shaving 6 months ago.
Just starting to get a mild case of RAD and I thought I would also share my first experience with having a razor replated.
My experience is very similar to Sir Lurkalot's. I sent my razor off to Razor Emporium for a Rhodium replate on 4-5-13. Then proceeded to read some of the negative feedback about this vendor and had several weeks of anxiety. :blink:
Razor arrived back on 5-10-13, which was within their stated time frame. Here are two photos of the replate....

$20130510_174151.jpg$20130510_174258.jpg

Initially, this looked like an obvious defect in the plating. The area even felt rough when running my finger over it. Just for the heck of it I grabbed a cloth, and after several minutes of frantic polishing, managed to entirely remove the discolored area.
Apparently there was some substance or compound left there from the plating? My obvious question with their service is how could the person that put the "revamp" tag around the neck of the razor not have seen this flaw, and corrected it before shipping?
Their QC seems a bit sloppy, and based on that, I will use one of the other well regarded vendors to replate my newest acquisition, a Gillette F4 toggle. :w00t:

" I will use one of the other well regarded vendors to replate my newest acquisition, a Gillette F4 toggle."

Smart.^^^ May I recommend rhodium? Try Dave @ Restored razors. A+

" I will use one of the other well regarded vendors to replate my newest acquisition, a Gillette F4 toggle."

Smart.^^^ May I recommend rhodium? Try Dave @ Restored razors. A+

Dave at RestoreRazors does amazing work. a buddy had a couple FB's done and they were perfect.

ATT does a fine job too and I just had the privilege of seeing this toggle in Rhodium up close and it's a beauty too.

the above 2 restores (RestoreRazors and ATT) both show great attention to detail. numbers and dot were perfect, knurling detail looked to be original with no loss of detail and depth to it, all the crevices were done, everything opened and closed smoothly.

lots of great B&B vendors to choose from, no need for anyone to go to RazorEmporium any longer.

I have done business with Razor Emporium, and I must tell you the result leaves a bit to be desired. Also they require payment up front, and if they lose your razors they simply tell you that it was separated from the original order, then claim they sent it to you! Be wary of Razor Emporium they can't be trusted with your property, and they don't take responsibility for the loss of your property, because they have already been paid! Simply stated "too bad sucker"!

I sent my deceased father's razor to Matthew Pisarcik, owner of Razor Emporium in Phoenix, AZ, for replating in October, 2012. I find out now, at the end of July, 2013, that he's actually sold it to another customer.

Most priceless of his responses? "We have only 2-3 that are missing right now."

Be careful.

Welcome to B&B forum even if its under unfortunate circumstances. Can you explain more about how this came to be? Did you follow up with Razor Emporium after 9 months or has this situation been dragging on for some time? What are they doing to find out who your Razor was sold to? It might even be sold to a member of B&B.

For future reference for replating use dale @reliable plating in Massachusetts. I hate you did not ask for advice before you sent to them, they are not a good company. I would talk to the BBB & their states attorney general concerning this. They have got away with this kind of crap too many times. If you read this forum "do not use those people".

I would demand that he obtain the razor back from who he sold it to. I think every one of us would give it back if we were the ones who purchased it. It would be easy enough for him to replace. What a freaking idiot.

That's a heartbreaking story and irresponsible beyond belief on Razor Emporiums end. I'm sure if it was sold to a B&B member we'd see a favourable outcome to this story. I wish you good luck with a resolution.

Apparently you're not the first person this has happened too.

From this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320812-Razor-Emporium-Revamp!/page2

I wish you the best but I sent them a 59 Fatboy about a month ago and emailed the form instead of sending with package.. I called about a week ago and guess what they said oh its been sold by accident.. Still working on a solution with Matt I do give the guy some credit he said he would send me a replated one but I sent him one with case and all.. I was pretty upset but guess I was lucky that I bought it to shave not collect..Good Luck and Best wishes Im sure it will turn out ok

They will never, ever get a single cent from me.

I'm truly sorry that happened, especially with a razor that means so much to you.

I would demand that he obtain the razor back from who he sold it to. I think every one of us would give it back if we were the ones who purchased it. It would be easy enough for him to replace. What a freaking idiot.

+ a googleplex to this.
That razor is a family heirloom and not just some Ebay/flea market find so demand he recover and return the exact same razor and IMOHO a full refund of your money just on principle.
Sounds like there have been several "accidental" sales,once is careless/mistake more than that is restocking.

I've actually had a couple other replaters (not RE) mix stuff up and not send me the right razor/parts back.... but to their credit, they have always come through in the end and got me my stuff. Still, you hear these stories and they seem quite frequent. Mistakes happen.... it's what we do about them that really matters in the end. Hopefully you get your razor back..... unfortunately you are at their mercy for the time being.

Ben

Wow, I would demand they source the razor and return it to you. I really hope they do this, please keep up posted. All the best!

Top Bottom