What's new

Shampoo bar?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
What is the correct dilution for an apple cider vinegar rinse?

It only takes 1 TBS per 8 ounces of water Jason. I use a 16 ounce bottle from Sally's Beauty Supply that is designed to hold hair color. it has a long skinny nozzle that folds down when not in use. It's just me, but i also use filtered water in my ACV mix, even though the water I am rinsing under the shower is chlorinated. Don't like the idea of the vinegar & chlorine mixing and sitting.

Make sure the brand of Apple Cider Vinegar you choose is all natural as some use petroleum products in their distilling process. My SWMBO buys the gallon sized 'Great Value' brand.

Last edited:
I just recently started using a shampoo bar from Mystic Waters, and with my longish hair (6"+) the ACV rinse really helps. Softens it up and acts as a detangler for ease of brushing after. Pop a little oil in it after to keep it under control and my hair hasn't looked so good or been so soft before. The ladies have noticed too.

I use a Leggett's Tea Tree bar and it works better for me than detergent shampoos. In fact I used to need Head and Shoulders on a fairly frequent and now don't need it at all.

I have never even heard of guys using vinegar in their hair and have no idea why we would want to, so no, it's not necessary.

well, plenty of guys and women use a vinegar rinse to restore the Ph balance. and deciding it's not needed because you don't know anyone who does so is what kind of logic?
since the ingredients are probably in the OP's home, why not whip up a trial batch.... 2-3 table spoons of white or apple cider vinegar to 8 oz of water should just about do it...probably good for 6-8 uses. put it in a small spray bottle . spray lightly, massage a bit and rinse. hair feels great and no vinegar scent at that concentration.

ymmv of course, but what's to lose? if you check out Mystic Waters website, she speaks, with some experience (as she sells shampoo bars) and offers some reasons to use the vinegar rinse bit!

jr

Hey all, I've been looking to get some artisan soaps from QCS after looking at their product line up and I came across their shampoo bars. Did a little reasearch and read mixed opinions on using some kind of vinegar rinse after a shampoo bar. some say use it, while others say it isn't necessary. I have thick hair, not too oily i guess, but I keep it Very short. I usually get it cut once a week or stretch it out to every two weeks, but I rock a high and tight pretty much (#1on top, skin on the sides). All that being said, would a vinegar rinse be necessary for my hair type if I were to swtich to a shampoo bar?

Is it necessary? Not for some. I do an apple cider vinegar rinse about twice a week now. I keep my hair short but it's real thick. Extremely thick. But, I use it to help with scalp itch not to condition my hair. I honestly can't tell a whole lot of difference to my hair when I do use a rinse to when I don't but, I also use artisan shampoo bars and not the usual junk in a bottle. I've been using shampoo bars for several years now and even though my hair is better with them than compared to H&S and the such my scalp still itched somewhat. Not as much as before but still itched. I think it might be to too much shampooing but in this west Texas heat and dust after working out in the yard, exercising, and wearing a helmet all the time, etc, not using shampoo is not an option. You will have to see if you need to rinse or not. Some do some don't.

Chris

I use a D R Harris shampoo bar daily, followed by a D R Harris conditioner (not much),leaving it on for a few minutes. My medium thick hair stays in good shape this way. I've never tried a vinegar rinse.

This might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway: Can you use QCS shampoo bars as body soap too? I was comparing ingredients and the only thing i noticed that was different was the shampoo bar has jajoba oil and the hand/body soap does not.

I don't know about QCS, but generally you can use hard soap for your hair and shampoo bars on you body. The saponified fats are the same.

Makers of the hard soaps / shampoo bars may use different ratios of oils to achieve different effects (such as more castor oil to create more lather for shampoo bars than hard soaps, or possibly a more lingering scent for hard soaps than shampoo bars), or different ingredients that have slightly different properties for skin or hair (jojoba is said to be beneficial in repairing damaged hair shafts and light, whereas lanolin is can perform similarly for hair but generally considered to leave too heavy, thick and greasy a residue for some hair types, so makers of shampoo bars will generally use less of it). Shampoo bars generally are generally lighter on the superfatting in general (even for shampoo bars for dry hair) than hard soap intended for the skin. Some people use a combination of a shampoo bar for their head if they have oily scalp and body soap for their ends if they have long dry hair.

As for the utility of a vinegar rinse when using shampoo bars, you will get lots of different answers because it depends on the water quality of each user, their hair length and what shampoo bar they use.

Saponified fats may react to minerals in the water to form calcium or magnesium salts. If a person has hard water, it may build up (on the hair, on the tub, etc) and cause the hair to be rougher and easier to tangle. A vinegar rinse can help to resolve those issues, as can the use of conditioner. If a person does not have hard water, this will not be as much of a concern to them

If they have long hair, hard water "build up" may eventually appear on the longer tresses as the hair undergoes was after wash, leaving the ends less manageable than the newer hair near the scalp. People with shorter hair might trim away the hair before there is any significant build up.

Also, hard soaps and shampoo bars can be slightly basic in pH (pH varies from soap maker to soap maker). Hair that is very basic or acidic in pH is more fragile. A slightly acid rinse will "restore" the pH balance of their hair. In my experience though, all the shampoo bars from reputable manufacturers that I have looked at have had what is to me an acceptable pH. If you use a shampoo bar with a moderate pH, you may not need to use a rinse to restore the pH balance.

Top Bottom