What's new

Anybody else prefer cheapo brushes?

I only have the $5 Burma Shave brush so I can't compare it to anything. That said, it gets the job done just fine. Perhaps I'll purchase a badger hair brush next month.

The 5 euro Wilkinson that I used until last week has no way near the same feel as the pure badger Muehle brush that I now have, and the Muehle is only 22,50 :biggrin:

I used a VDH for 3 months and the upgraded to the Tweezerman. I think after a while the boars hair grows on you and gets softer but it does fall out all over your face. The Tweezerman is a nice brush for the money and a hold me over until the B & B Essential come out

Have to agree that while the Tweezerman is nice, I too am looking forward to getting a B&B Essential.

Rick

To each their own..We ALL have different preferences for what touches our face.
I do prefer the smoothness and luxuriousness of the C&E BBB that's on sale pretty frequently.
I too started out with Tweezerman and the VDH..They did the job...just not as well as the C&E or badger in general. Tho I have used $100 brushes that I didn't like to use as much as the C&E
Regards

Nothing wrong IMHO with a cheap brush, so long as it keeps its bristles (the part that bothers me most) and makes decent lather.

Really like the Omega Sintex synthetic ($8)
Omega boar ($12)
Can't vouch for the Burma or VDH/Surrey brushes as it took me buying about 5 of them until I found one that didn't lose about 12 bristles on my face every shave...
My current travel brush is the Omega sintex; it dries quickly, makes good lather without much work, doesn't stink, doesn't complain when shoved into a ziploc bag for travel....
I used to carry a Men-U synthetic brush (same as the ones being awarded here elsewhere) which works excellently, but now carry the Sintex because, well, I only have ONE Men-U; if I lose the Sintex, oh well-its just another 8 bucks.
I do have some nicer brushes (B&B finest, SMF 1, 2, and 2007, couple of Vulfix brushes and others...) but I no longer carry those on trips.
John P.

My shavemac 944 in pure was 55 bucks from Vintage Blades and it sees about 10 times as much use as my silvertip. More money isnt always better.

I only have two brushes and neither are "luxury" but I vastly prefer my Burma brush to the one from the Art of Shaving starter kit.

I have a few brushes that I paid well over $100 for and I have a few that I bought for as little as $2.

proxy.php

I paid less than $5 each for these. All are boar and all are quite different. The two in front are extremely stiff. The one in the center is the softest brush I've ever seen, softer than my two brushes in finest badger. Boar doesn't have to be bristly. The only one that loses hair is the soft one and it loses very few, about one hair every seven to ten uses. The soft one and the one on the left hold a lot of water. I use only my Simpson Duke now but the one on the left is my second favorite brush and is very similar to the Simpson both in feel and lathering. It would certainly be suitable as my only brush.

Richard

i picked up a 8 euro "pure badger" yesterday, im working nightshift so i havent had the chance to try it, the density isnt great and the water retention is a bit poor, but it dosnt look to bad, it looks like it can handle soaps, i might do a review,

My Burma Shave brush ($6) is my favorite and used almost everyday.

I just bought a Burma Shave brush and have to say the STENCH of this thing when wet is almost undescribable!! :eek:I've shampooed this thing several times, but it still REEKS! Was this your experience as well? How do you get rid of that smell? If it doesn't fade fast, I'm tossing it!

I find Proraso works well for a stinky brush. A couple of test lathers should do well.

I love my Burma Shave brush too and use it daily. There's more I can spend my money on - like aftershaves, and colognes. :w00t:

I saw that Body shop brush jus ta few days ago... It looked reallly cool... but since i'm still a newb I didn't botther getting it.. I think I'll try it as my second brush... all teh C&E brushes ae very expensive...

Top Bottom