What's new

Kershaw question

I just picked up a chive, been looking at them for a while and found a place that I could handle one before purchase and that made up my mind. My question is, I want to remove the clip on it as I carry everyday, including at work with dress pants on, and I want it to be as thin as possible. It looks like it is held in place with 2 very small star bits. Anyone remove theirs and/or know what size that bit is? Any advice on where to get a bit for it?

Thanks in advance.

Unless I sorely miss my guess those are a couple Torx fasteners that will unscrew out (but should be replaced after taking the clip off). That fastener bit is available at any Sears, Harbor Freight or decent sized auto supply store.

I have a Kershaw Leek which probably has the same Torx head screws in it as the Chive. The smallest Torx bit I have, T-10 is still a size or two too big so you'll need to go smaller than that at least.

It's good to have a set of micro screw drivers around just for things like this.
Torx come in 0 and 00 too. Now that's a tiny screw!

If you have a really tiny flathead screwdriver, like one for eyeglass repair, you can sometimes use that on the torx screws. Caution though, I've even seen a tiny eyeglass flathead tear up a torx screw.

I got an 8-in-1 precision tool at Lowes with a light! It turns out that these screws are an S6 bit. Once they were out, the knife is now near perfect.

It's funny. You may never have use for that screwdriver again.
Or, you'll find all sorts of things that have micro screws.
In the IT biz, we use them fairly often. If for nothing else, we like to look inside broken electronics.
Hey, it's neat. I just took apart an iPod touch and you'd be surprised at how there isn't a whole lot inside other than the screen.

Top Bottom