What's new

Blade Apathy

I find that I no longer care what type of blade I use. I have a large collection of various blades that I have collected from friends or purchased myself. I no longer care, I just plop one in, and sometimes use that same blade for 3 or 4 shaves. Just wanted to share.

That can mean you have reached a level of proficiency that allows you to have good shaves with almost any blade, which is good.

I have tried 30 blades over the last 3 years and have reached two conclusions:

First, I have never found the "holy grail" of blades - that one blade which is clearly superior to all others by a huge margin.

Second, I can get a good shave with most blades.

I have tried 30 blades over the last 3 years and have reached two conclusions:

First, I have never found the "holy grail" of blades - that one blade which is clearly superior to all others by a huge margin.

Second, I can get a good shave with most blades.

Right now, I am with you for the most part. All blades I have tried work fine. I have never had a nightmare blade experience. For the record, I have yet to try my Derby's and I noticed the Merkur blade I got with my razor felt a bit different than other blades--but it shaved fine.

Up until recently, I blade skipped around to see if there was one I loved way more than others. I used a blade for 5 shaves (unless I had to change it early which may have happened once) and then moved on, even if the blade felt fine. I only have two razors, a pre-war Fat Handled Tech (typically I use the head with a bulldog handle) and a Merkur 42. Everything was great in the Tech and to a slightly lesser degree were fine in the Merkur. But I never dialed in which blade was "best" in which razor.

Thanks to winning a nice little PIF and having another member send me singles of a bunch of different blades (and still having most of the original sample pack I bought left) I haven't yet had to make a quantity purchase, yet. So I have some time to figure out what my first quantity purchase will be.

I'm early into trying a little trial: I pick a blade and put one in the Tech and one of the same brand in the Merkur. Then I use one razor for 5 days/until the blade needs replacement/until I get bored. Mostly I have been sticking with 5 shaves for the time being. So far I have come to the preliminary conclusion that the Feather is the best performer in the Tech. The difference from the others is noticeable but really isn't that great. The Feather, OTOH, isn't the clear winner (so far) for the Merkur. Crystals seem to be pretty good in both. And I am now testing the Persona Labs. Astras are fine in both, but I don't think they are the best in either. I will continue with this strategy until I find a clear answer or get bored. I'd bet on the later.

Until then, I am pleased I can put just about any blade in either razor and get a fine shave.

Once I get this kind of figured out (or get bored) I will just use a blade and forget about counting shaves. When it feels like it's done, I will change the blade.

I feel the same! The only blade that I find terrible are Treet "black beauties" , other than that every other blade I have used have been acceptable.

I recently had a nightmarish shave...a very short one, because I tossed the blade after shaving half of my upper lip. I have pretty much settled in to a three blade rotation and I always wind up coming back to the Feather. Every time I start a new blade, I wonder why I ever use anything else.

I'm pretty sure the poor shaves I've had have come down to my lack of technique and/or trying blades in razor's I'm unfamiliar with. The last truly horrible shave I had was a month or so with the new Aristocrat I bought. I used an Israeli Crystal, which I've liked in other razors. The razor felt so mild that I'm positive I applied too much pressure and tried to get too close a shave with a strange to me razor.

The only blade that I just absolutely hated was a Feather. I tried it pretty early on in my shaving career and it just tore my face up. I think now in one of my favorite razors I would do fine with it, but I don't really need a blade that sharp. I really didn't get along with Dorco blades either, but I think I'd rather shave with a Dorco than go back to Fusions or Sensor Excel's full time.

Top Bottom