What's new

Is it OK to use a DE blade just a once before discarding it?

I've tried reusing blades but the problem is that my skin does not take too well to reused blades. Even the slightest feeling of dullness within a blade causes me irritation. When I was using cartridge blades, even with Gillette's and Schick's, I still could not reuse them without breaking out in a rash. Through my lifetime of shaving experiences, I don't know how you guys can tolerate a used blade. I've heard of people using the same blade for months at a time, whether it be cartridge of DE blades. There is a reason why shaving experts recommend throwing away a blade after 2-3 shaves; in some cases, even after just one use: It is a cheaply made piece of steel. There is no way they're going to last that long—It's a disposable blade for reason. Why push these DE blades to the edge? They're so cheap. We still save a lot money by using a blade just once. The average bearded man only requires a medium-sharp blade, like a Derby, an Astra, a Super Max and so on and so forth. They're only around 10-15 bucks for a pack of a hundred. The only blade that I can get more than one use out of is a Feather. By the way, my go to blades are the 7 o'clock yellows, which cost about 20-25 per 100; I still even use them just once, and they're considered higher end. What are your opinions on this subject? Peace!

Last edited:
I used to be strictly 3 and out, but now I've started to use a blade up until the point it's no longer comfortable to use. Which can be 4 or 5 shaves, depending on the blade.

There are some blades I don't care to use the first time in a razor, but feel smoother for later shaves. The Astra does this in my Slim.

I can see how some guys may want to chuck a blade after one go, but I figure if it's still useable, I might as well keep with it.

is it just me or do you seem angry about what other people are doing or not doing ? What you described at the end is common practice about 3-4 uses and then throw away.where have you ever heard of people using de blades for months on end ? Literally this is the first I have EVER heard someone say this before EVER !! But hey do what you like and don't be so quick to judge other people and what works for them.

I change blades when they are no longer comfortable...whether its 3 shaves or 7. It seems like you're doing the same thing...just after one shave. If you aren't getting a comfortable shave after that one use, nothing wrong with chucking that sucker!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes it is ok! Welcome to the club! :tongue_sm

I regularly toss blades after one use. Sometimes even mid shave if I'm trying a new blade and it just doesn't feel right. I have no qualms about tossing blades at any given time.

It's all about what is comfortable for you. Doing what makes you a happy shaver.

Yep, I throw them out after 1 Shave. At the moment I am really enjoying the 7 O'Clock greens, and Silver Blue blades. Feathers i might be able to stretch to 2 shaves but they don't feel comfortable on my face. Cheap or expensive doesn't matter I don't seem to get to much comfort in a second shave. Whichever blade it is I seem to get rash/irritation on the neck and under the nose with a second shave.

+1

Yes it is ok! Welcome to the club! :tongue_sm

I regularly toss blades after one use. Sometimes even mid shave if I'm trying a new blade and it just doesn't feel right. I have no qualms about tossing blades at any given time.

It's all about what is comfortable for you. Doing what makes you a happy shaver.

Here's a financial analysis if you're interested:

A cartridge is supposed to last up to 5 weeks. A Proglide cartridge costs about $4. Assume you shave 5x/week (take the weekends off), that'd be 25 shaves for $4, or $0.16/shave. 4 weeks of shaving would be 20 shaves, or $0.20/shave. 2 weeks of shaving would be 10 shaves, or $0.40/shave.

Feather blades cost $0.30-$0.40 per blade. Astras cost $0.13-$0.18 per. Derby's cost $.08-$0.11 per.

Unless you get really luck with cartridge life, or must use a new Feather with each shave, you're probably going to come out ahead, even using a new blade each time.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound angry. My point was that I usually can't use a blade more than once because of my sensitive skin. Also, my other point was that why try to stretch these types of blades when they're so cheap. A poster just gave me a numbers crunch comparing carts to DE blades. Even if you're to use a high Feather just once before canning it, you still come out ahead using a Gillette Fusion Proglide multiple times. Interesting stuff. That's why I switched to DE shaving: It allows me to start with a fresh blade every shave without breaking the bank. Peace!

Last edited:
One more thing guys. I remember back when I was in the Navy having to shave daily. Every time I would shave with a Gillette Sensor or a Mach 3, I would look at the blade under a light and noticed it looking like it had aged about to weeks. The edge of the blade looked like it had been through a wreck. Peace!

Do whatever works for you, you'll still save money using each blade once only. I can get 4 - 5 shaves from a med prep before it starts to feel tuggy, so for me there's no advantage in chucking them earlier.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound angry. My point was that I usually can't use a blade more than once because of my sensitive skin. Also, my other point was that why try to stretch these types of blades when they're so cheap. A poster just gave me a numbers crunch comparing carts to DE blades. Even if you're to use a high Feather just once before canning it, you still come out ahead using a Gillette Fusion Proglide multiple times. Interesting stuff. That's why I switched to DE shaving: It allows me to start with a fresh blade every shave without breaking the bank. Peace!

For me, when using the sharper blades, it takes three or four shaves before they start feeling comfortable and stop nicking at the tiniest transgression. They then get used for as long as they shave pretty much at that level of performance - which can be 7 or 8 with some Gillettes or Persona Chrome, or 15 to 20 with an Astra SP.

When people say here they only use a blade once, I imagine they have faces of steel. I just couldn't do it, even if I wanted to.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom