What's new

Need a moisturizing AS that's not a cream...

My skin doesn't react well to creamy products. I don't know why, it just doesn't, regardless of how little I use. I've never been able to use moisturizers. I've tried Nivea Extra Sensitive Balm and Proraso Liquid Cream and while they both moisturize well, they don't sit well on my skin.

I need something clear, or rather, not creamy (gel, liquid, etc.) that also moisturizes. I use Aqua Velva in the summer, but it's too drying for my skin during the winter.

Any advice?

Maybe you could try the Trumper's skin foods. I would not classify them as a cream. I think they have a lot of glycerin. They definitely moisturize well. They don't call them aftershaves, but I know a lot of people use them as such. They have two scents, coral (rose) and extract of limes. They are a bit on the pricey side, but if you buy their sample pack, you get 25 ml of each, and with the exchange rate, it comes to a grand total of somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 (and you also get 4 shave cream samples and some EDT samples). 25 ml doesn't seem like a lot, but I got this sample pack back in September and haven't come close to using even half of these yet.
That would be my suggestion, other than a hydrosol, like the ones you can get from Hydrolast, or Charles at QED also sells some hydrosols.

I'd recommend Provence Sante Green Tea Aftershave. It's not a balm and does a very nice job of moisturizing my skin. You can read about it in our reviews section.

Try either Natureade Aloe 80 or J/A/S/O/N products. Basically, they are just aloe vera, but very effective! Also, you might try Cornhuskers Lotion. Another great product.

Randy

I use Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel with Aloe. This is the only product I've used which truly soothes my face, and it provides a surprising amount of moisturizing (no doubt due to the aloe). It's the only product I use as an AS.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Today I tried the Thayer's because it was the only thing I have around the house and thus far, it was worked fairly well by itself. I wasn't able to do a three pass, against the grain shave, because I know Thayer's alone does not fight razor burn (for me, at least). But I was able to get a really good two pass shave.

I'm gonna make a trip to Pasteur's tomorrow to check out the other recommended products.

Try Jason's Witch Vera it works very well for me.:thumbup1:

+1

Great stuff, fairly good moisturizing properties, and (probably because of the menthol and/or witch hazel) doesn't sting much at all, and very cooling. Whole Foods has it around these parts.

I've had trouble finding an after shave I liked as well (most tend to cause disagreeable discomfort, which I interpret as a bad sign if my body is revolting). I really like Trumper Skin Food but am keen to try the Witch Hazel (haven't we left the realm of after shaves into the realm of toners?).

I wonder if there is any correlation between the (reportedly) hazardous stuff in the products and the symptoms one exhibits. The products you originally mentioned trying are reportedly more hazardous than the solutions mentioned by others:

Of course, an after shave is optional anyway, right?

Disclaimer: I'm not biochemist, so it behooves you to find out for yourself or, better still, I hope some one comes along and sets the record straight.

What a fascinating Web site! I'm so glad you posted that.

I'm not sure why I have such a problem with creamy products. I have very dry skin. I think that because of this, the cream doesn't properly absorb into my skin and sort of sits on top of it making my face look clammy.

Top Bottom