What's new

SE Assimilation Tour

(In honor of the 1912 passaround, and the Magnificent SEven tour)

So, you DEnizens of double edge shaving. You like your DEs. Some like vintage, some like new. Some like open comb, some like guards. You're happy with where you're at in the world of DE.

Some of you....don't like change.
Some of you....have not ventured far from the crowd.
Some of you....have not tried a Single Edge razor.

I have in my possession a GEM Heavy Flat Top, affectionately known as the G-bar.
It's one of my favorite razors. It almost pains me that some of you have not tried it.

I am willing to put it in a small USPS box with 10 GEM PTFE SS blades and ship it to the first soul on the list.
That person must be willing to shave for up to a week with it, report to this thread with your experience and maybe even a photo of the razor at your locale, and pay the 3 bucks or so postage to pass it on to the next person. (Anyone who fails to pass it on will be hung, drawn and quartered, their body part sent to the...oh wait, the legal eagles say I can't do that. Nuts.)

Your qualifications......
CONUS only I think, unless someone tells me it is cheaper than I think to get to Canada.
Minimum 2 months here, at least 150 posts.
Never used an SE before.
Be willing to step off your safe DE island.
Be willing to accept the possibility that SE shaving might just be as awesomely good as your DE.

Capped at 10 participants (that way I may get it back before Christmas).

Are you man enough?
Do you have what it takes?
Are you in?

Not in. I have 2 already :scared: They are GREAT shavers and this is an excellent opportunity to try SE shaving at its finest !

I think a lot of what turns guys off on them is lack of blades to choose from. I would argue that the G Bar is the most ergonomically perfect razor ever made. It forces you to use proper angles in a highly comfortable way.

Yez got yer carbons, yez got yer stainless, yez got yer teflon coated.....

In many ways, makes it easier :)

I would argue the G bar is definitely up there along with a 1912 and a 1914. (An an Old type DE, but that's a different story....)

I am absolutely in. I want to try SE shaving, but I don't want to make a big investment just so I can put my toe in the water. If I can hack away at my face twice a year with a straight, I can give SE shaving a go.
Oh, and I got the $3 to send it to the next person safely hidden away in my kid's piggy bank (shhh!).

The only SE I ever tried, i found the WTG unbeatable, but ATG pass unbearable. That said, the build quality of the G-Bar is unsurpassed, and the feedback is like a Marshall Stack. Well worth seeing, and I'm envious for those that can tame her.

Last edited:
Tony, my Philly homeboy, I can contribute 5 Ted Pella blades to whom ever needs them. Just send me the address if you run short on blades.

Hi, Tony. This sounds like a great opportunity. I actually have a 1912 and a Push-Button, but have yet to try them. The main reason is I haven't bought blades for them yet. :/.

I almost bought a G-bar from Etsy when I switched from the dark side of cartridge razors. Never did. Anyway, if I qualify for this, sign me up please. Thanks a lot for the opportunity.

Great pass-around! Not in though - I've shaved SE plenty (and love it!). In fact, I think I'll pull out the 1912 for a while...

great idea

maybe i should start something like this with my old Norelco? :)
So.........you're in?
I'll pass on the Norelco though ;)

Hi, Tony. This sounds like a great opportunity. I actually have a 1912 and a Push-Button, but have yet to try them. The main reason is I haven't bought blades for them yet. :/.

I almost bought a G-bar from Etsy when I switched from the dark side of cartridge razors. Never did. Anyway, if I qualify for this, sign me up please. Thanks a lot for the opportunity.
OK, you're in. I'll even let you keep an extra blade for the 1912 :)

Great pass-around! Not in though - I've shaved SE plenty (and love it!). In fact, I think I'll pull out the 1912 for a while...
The 1912 is a dreamy razor, isn't it.........

No I do not qualify as I have several SEs already. I am curious about the G bar but would rather leave things open for SE virgins.

Top Bottom