What's new

AndroiDad75's Straight Razor Shave Journal

A week, or so, ago I received my very first straight razor, purchased from the Captain. The razor comes newly honed, and shave ready. He generously helped me out with a strop as well. Here are the spec's: 6/8 Near Wedge LLIAM MORTON & SON CUTLERS SHEFFIED.

Ever since then, I have been trying to learn/watch as much as I can on YouTube and reading here. Well tonight is going to be my first try with the straight. After putting the boys to bed, I am going to take my time and go as slow as I can, and complete my very first straight razor shave ever. I am pretty nervous, actually, that I am going to slice an ear off or something :blushing:. Hence the reason I am going to try and take it as slow as I can. The boys will be in bed, and the LOTH will be at work, so I will be able to focus.

Here are a couple of pictures of the razor, from Captain. I will be attempting to take some pictures of my full shave stuff tonight, and will share.

$DSC04643.jpeg$DSC04644.jpeg$DSC04645.jpeg

I was planning on stropping about 20 on the canvas and about 40-50 on the leather. I sure hope I don't ruin/roll the edge and have to send it to get honed right off that bat.

Any advice, or recommendations, for my first ever straight shave?

Let me ask a question. I thought I would try using my left hand tonight, since that seems to be the preference for straight shaving. But I am about as right handed as a person can get, that has 2 good arms. Should I truly attempt that, or should I just try with dominant hand since it's my first try ever?

Let me ask a question. I thought I would try using my left hand tonight, since that seems to be the preference for straight shaving. But I am about as right handed as a person can get, that has 2 good arms. Should I truly attempt that, or should I just try with dominant hand since it's my first try ever?

Just go shave, man! ;) Do what feels right, and you'll be happy. Good luck!

I was nervous about switching hands at first and the first few shaves I din't much but I have found it to work better for me and don't even think twice about it now also if its shave ready DON"T strop it just shave, that way you feel what a sharp edge is like, then strop all you want and if it gets dull quick then you know it was you.

OK. So I will shave first. Should I shave until it starts to feel "bad" or something? Or do I strop after the first shave, and before/after each shave thereafter?

Prep: Hot Shower / Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Soap: TOBS Mr. Taylor
Brush: Da Vinci 290
Razor: Lliam Morton & Son 6/8 Near Wedge
A/S: Captain Choice Bay Rum

Post A/S: 25 Laps Cloth / 50 Leather

Well first shave ever with a straight. I have both ears, and no blood-letting, so I call that a win. :thumbup:

As you can see I took a nice hot shower for my prep, using some softening conditioner on the whiskers while soaping/shampooing the rest of the body. Then I used the Defense Scrub. Whipped up some Mr. Taylor and lathered it up. Picked up the razor and got ready to shave.

Now the first thing that struck me was that it was much harder for me to see in the mirror where I am putting the razor, due to size of the razor, hands/arms in the way etc... I wasn't quite prepared for that :001_unsur. Well I just decided that I would get the razor to the face and wanted to take the advice of everyone and use short deliberate strokes - because from what I have read that if they aren't deliberate/confident strokes then you tend to nick yourself.

I soon realized that my lather, although it looked and felt great going on, seems to be way too dry. At least it seemed to be too dry for a straight. I wasn't feeling like it was very cushioning/slick. So I grab the brush add a bit more water, try again, and same issue. It feels like it is tugging and the skin feels awfully dry after a swipe. The only thing I can think of is that it would feel dry after a swipe because I effectively just took it all with my razor. As for the tugging, I think that is due to razor angle, as holding it was a bit awkward since it was my first time. The reason I think that is because when I seemed to get the angle right, it went through like butter. The other possibility is that maybe I did need to strop it before using it. I know the Captain said it was honed and he shaved with it a couple of times to make sure it was good and then sent it.

I did 2 passes: both North to South. There was no way I was going to attempt a XTG or ATG pass, with the awkwardness I was feeling with the blade. The nice surprise was I decided to use my Left Hand for the Left Side of my face and I have ears, eyes and a nose :lol: - along with no cuts, weepers or anything. Score!!! :thumbup: Definitely felt weird, but hey I proved I could do it. So here were the overall results:

• Shave probably equal to what my very first DE shave was - definitely no worse than a cart shave
  • Surprisingly, Lip is BBS
  • Neck has a fair bit of hair, but if I don't do at least an XTG it will have a fair bit. Again, equivalent to when I was cart shaving
  • Chin: Areas nice, areas hair. Again, I kinda expected it
  • A little redness on the lower neck that showed itself after drying off and A/S

Once finished, I dried her off and then gave my very first try at stropping. I did 25 laps on the cloth one, and 50 laps on the leather. I went really slow, because I am deathly afraid of rolling the edge. I have no way to correct it if I do that. Even going slow, and using no pressure, it is really kinda difficult to do the "X" and then flip the razor keeping the spine on the strop the whole time. At least it was for me. Wish me luck that I didn't kill the blade!! :scared:

So all that being said, I think this was a FANTASTIC FIRST SHAVE. I have no illusion that it will always be without blood, etc... but I went slow and deliberate and didn't fret about BBS (first time in a long time). A little redness on the neck, a BBS lip and no blood. I'll take it!!!

The only downside is, I don't think there is any way I can do this in the morning before work. As it is now, with a DE I can't get the shower/shave/cleanup done under 35-40 minutes. It would take probably twice that to do a straight shave, at the speed I went today. The only option would be to straight shave at night, and then DE in the morning to clean up what the straight missed - at least until I get more proficient.

Last edited:
Ta-dah! Fantastic first shave! As I was reading, I was checking things off in my head: yup, I felt that way...yup, did that...yup, worked through that...had dry lather etc. I agree: complete success. Until you actually try it, you just don't realize all the little weird nuances that accompany the activity, all while dealing with the emotional part of holding a dauntingly sharp knife to your face.

Congratulations, the 2nd shave often is significantly faster, as you know what to expect. However, it also comes with a drawback: overconfidence, leading to more of the red stuff escaping. Always (every second) respect the edge, and you'll be fine. Many of the worst cuts aren't even on the face, I know I have dinked my thumb swapping hands, for example.

Close to flat-on-the-face is the right angle.

Nice work, and keep us posted!

Edit: just read 6/8 near wedge. Wow! Bet you found that was *way* different from your DE, eh? Big old beast, silently plowing through the whiskers. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks Krodor. Yes it was a good feeling to know I actually did it. I fully expect there to be blood loss, just hopefully I can delay it as long as possible :lol:

I think the thing that I struggled with the most was being able to see what I was doing. I never quite figured out how to see where the blade was.

Edit: just read 6/8 near wedge. Wow! Bet you found that was *way* different from your DE, eh? Big old beast, silently plowing through the whiskers. Fun stuff.

Yeah it is big and there wasn't a whole lot of audio feedback that I was expecting - especially after seeing/hearing the YouTube videos. At first I thought I must be doing something wrong, but then I thought I remembered reading that you hear more with the hollows and less with the wedges.

After thinking about it most of the night, I am not sure I can do the straight shave in the evening, DE touch-up/shave in the morning. When I do the DE touch-up, I don't think I'd have enough whiskers for that evenings straight shave. I really don't want to wake up another 45 minutes earlier. I already wake up a half hour earlier than I used to b/c of the DE shaves. I do hope you are right and that the shaves will start to get a bit quicker.

And of course, I will find out tonight if my greatest fear is happening. Did I roll that newly honed edge, with my novice stropping abilities. I sure hope not.

Thanks Krodor. Yes it was a good feeling to know I actually did it. I fully expect there to be blood loss, just hopefully I can delay it as long as possible :lol:

I think the thing that I struggled with the most was being able to see what I was doing. I never quite figured out how to see where the blade was.

Yeah it is big and there wasn't a whole lot of audio feedback that I was expecting - especially after seeing/hearing the YouTube videos. At first I thought I must be doing something wrong, but then I thought I remembered reading that you hear more with the hollows and less with the wedges.

After thinking about it most of the night, I am not sure I can do the straight shave in the evening, DE touch-up/shave in the morning. When I do the DE touch-up, I don't think I'd have enough whiskers for that evenings straight shave. I really don't want to wake up another 45 minutes earlier. I already wake up a half hour earlier than I used to b/c of the DE shaves. I do hope you are right and that the shaves will start to get a bit quicker.

And of course, I will find out tonight if my greatest fear is happening. Did I roll that newly honed edge, with my novice stropping abilities. I sure hope not.

It's a lot less important than you think to see what you are doing when straight shaving. When I first started, I posted a question asking how people with glasses got all the right angles without the glass frames getting in the way. The response was, why do you need your glasses? and why do you need to see? It shocked me and I couldn't imagine shaving without seeing. Turns out, it's not as hard as you think. Most of the important feedback is tactile and audio.

Shaving in the evening is a great way to get started with straights as it gives you plenty of time to shave and, if you get a bleeder, time to clot before being seen in public again. As your skill level improves, you can do what Slash does which is shave during his morning commute, flipping the lather out the window going down the highway.

Thanks oakeshott. Good advice.

Krodor, oakeshott, and everyone else. I only have one shave in, and I am already thinking about having to get a 2nd razor, in the even that I roll my edge and have to send it off for honing. That way I have something to use while it is out. I see there is a hobbyist who sells shave ready gold dollar razors, for what appears to be a fairly reasonable price. I don't have a ton to spend on a 2nd blade, but am I wrong in thinking I "need" one right now? Or should I just stick with what I got and if it gets messed up in stropping, then just send it to get honed and use a DE until it gets back?

I used to think, "I only need one." Let us know how that turns out for you...

But to answer your question. A second one IS a good idea, for honing purposes.

OK. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if the AD is already kicking in. I know it is, but I am attempting to keep it under control. Need to be smart with how I spend my money right now...

Hey just had a thought. Do straight razor shavers use a pre-shave oil to help with the glide?

I tried the AOS sandalwood pre-shave oil when I first started DE shaving but I found it to be too heavy and I gave it up. Add to that, the fact that I have oily skin, it seemed like I was breaking out a bit - although it could have just been coincidence.

What I just realized was that I have some sample pre-shave oils from Maggerds that I have never tried. If it doesn't really help much with straight shaving I'd rather not go down that path, due to acne, etc..., but if it is something that is needed most of the time, then I will give it a try.

Heck, I may give it a try anyhow. Just thought I'd ask what most people do.

No oil needed if you have a good lather and your prep was good beforehand (ie. shower to soften the beard).

No oil needed if you have a good lather and your prep was good beforehand (ie. shower to soften the beard).
I think this is true and mirrors my experience. Still, I used pre shave oil for a good year or more before finally giving it up as adding no additional benefit. For newbies, however, I think it might provide just a bit more protection until the combination of razor technique, prep and lather building skill get to where they ought to be.

when I was using it, the best one I found was T&H.

Top Bottom