What's new

Razor bumps will NOT subside. please help guys im out of ideas!

okay so to start it off I have extremely rough facial hair, that grows extremely quick, with a Extremely sensitive face. I got the Sicilian hair gene with the baby face Irish gene. people with thick hair usually have tougher skin but I was blessed to have the opposite. genetically morphed. Anyway I got a new job and I need to shave 5 days a week. I have switched to DE safety shaving and all the goodies that go with it. the irritation on my actual face has all gone away but my lower neck, right where the hair stops, just wont go away. Every time I shave it it just gets irritated so it is irritated 7 days a week. I shave right after a hot shower, use pre shave oil, quality cream and blades, than quality after shave balm. Is this just something I have to live with or are there any tricks or advice you educated folks might give? thanks either way to all! maybe a blade that is good for sensitive skin? or after shave? thanks!The other thing is,my chin area, it is impossible to get all of the stubble gone. I go with the grain against it and side to side but I just cant remove all of the hair from the goatee area, any ideas for this, or with experience it will be learned?

Now my best suggestion for you would be to to first check the direction of hair growth on your neck,it could be south to north.
So if you would be shaving WTG it would actually mean ATG on the neck,
check the hair growth and then shave with the grain on the neck.

Assuming you shave in the morning,scrub your neck before you go to sleep,it takes out hair stuck inside the skin.

(Your angle could be wrong too)
good luck !

EDIT:
1.Use a balm or aftershave without alcohol (nivea sensitive after shave balm)
2.Technique improves with time.
3.Try kyle's prep

Last edited:
Here is the sure fire way to rid yourself or razor burn / bumps. Go to CVS and buy a tub of CVS branded generic Noxzema face cream. Use this cream to shave in place of traditional shave soap / cream. When applying to your face whip up 3 fingers full of the cream, run under running water quickly to just barely wet it. Apply to face and shave I betcha $5.00 this will cure your issue. When I first started DE shaving the irritation was so bad I had to skip shaving everyday due to the pain and irritation. I have shaved everyday since using this as my shave cream. You will be amazed by the glide you get but will have to get past the smell of the generic Noxzema.

Do not shave against the grain... If you have thicker facial hair, that is a recipe for bumps.
You will have to live with the shadow....
Use a cream such as Nivea after the shave.
Do recheck the direction of the grain on your neck. Different areas are often in different directions.

Welcome!

Try all of these:

1. Supremely-hydrating prep
2. Straight razor
3. Queen Charlotte Soaps' aftershave balm

Skip the against the grain pass. I do WTG and XTG on my face, but only WTG on my neck. Anything more and I get bumps and ingrown hairs. Also, try cold water if you're currently using hot to shave with.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You may have to try a veriety of techniques and treatments until you find what works best for you. Best advice- don't overdo it. Go light and easy.

It make take some time, but you'll eventually settle on a routine that works well. You're going to have to shave thousands of times, so no harm spending a bit of time getting things right.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What razor/blade are you using? What does your lather look like.....Cool Whip or coffee creamer?

Do you rinse after your shave with HOT water. If so try a cold water rinse. Most importantly don't get discouraged. It is a learning process and we are all here to help!

to respond to a few..i will for sure try the noxema! I actually love the smell of it so its not a problem, heading to cvs tonight to pick it up. also on my lower neck I NEVER go against the grain I do one pass ever so lightly .i guess I am actually going against it though I need to find the direction of the hair its just hard to see without a microscope or something. im using nivea sensitive right now after shave balm. for the blades Im experimenting. my favorite have been " rainbows" and I just picked up murkers from art of shaving, there not that good. any suggestions I should try? I use AOS pre shave oil.. AOS sandalwood shaving cream and for the razor its a DE86 Edwin Jagger, i like the size and weight of it, i also have a Lord razor that is absolute garbage that i don't use. thanks for all of the responses

to respond to a few..i will for sure try the noxema! I actually love the smell of it so its not a problem, heading to cvs tonight to pick it up. also on my lower neck I NEVER go against the grain I do one pass ever so lightly .i guess I am actually going against it though I need to find the direction of the hair its just hard to see without a microscope or something. im using nivea sensitive right now after shave balm. for the blades Im experimenting. my favorite have been " rainbows" and I just picked up murkers from art of shaving, there not that good. any suggestions I should try? I use AOS pre shave oil.. AOS sandalwood shaving cream and for the razor its a DE86 Edwin Jagger, i like the size and weight of it, i also have a Lord razor that is absolute garbage that i don't use. thanks for all of the responses

Have you tried face mapping? If your hair grain changes direction alot, this is the thing to do. Separate your face into facets like a diamond and try and determine which way the grain goes in each and make a drawing with all the directions on a piece of paper. Consult this when you shave until all the directions are like second nature.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cool Whip is good, you don't want it to thick and you don't want it thin. Fluffy lather that will "stick" to your face and rinse off your razor easily is the best.

If you let your beard grow out for a few days you will be able to see the direction the hair grows. After a couple days you can feel the direction it grows with your fingers. Here is a beard mapping tool, draw arrows on it in the direction your hair grows, hang it next to your mirror and in a couple weeks you will have your beard growth memorized.

$919589791_d31aefb244.jpg

I've used the Rainbow blades and they are decent IMO. I'd suggest Astra, Personna and Feathers. If you are happy with the Rainbows don't change just yet though. Use them for a month or longer and focus on your technique.

Welcome!
It will take some time to figure out. Ask questions and take it slow.
You'll get there soon enough.

Falco, I'm in the same boat you are. A nice thick beard, soft sensitive skin. Here's how I solved it with DE shaving before moving onto straights for the bulk of my shaves. Beard mapping is so key, on my face the growth of the hair at the base of the neck is sideways and it's only about a 1/8" line like that, when I was first learning my technique if I didn't shave it in that direction it was razor burn city. Now that my face is a little more used to increased shaving frequency and the tools I use I sort of go XTG on the first pass with it. The important part is to truly shave WTG when learning because your technique isn't quite up to par, something I noticed when using a DE recently is my DE skills have suffered a bit compared to my straight skills. For work when first starting out a SAS, or socially acceptable shave is fine, one or two WTG passes should do it. As your technique improves add in the other directions starting with XTG. Some guys with really sensitive skin stop at two passes, and for most of my shaves this is all I do because that's all my face can handle without getting irritated. Best of luck, I hope this advice helps.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Welcome to B&B. Noxema burns my face like crazy, I would suggest Proraso Sensitive, or Mikes unscented.

edit: Also consider skipping the preshave oil, and using a medicated witch hazel aftershave.

Last edited:
Like they said - face mapping is key! You should be able to figure it out with only one day growth by feeling with your fingertips. Whichever direction gives the least friction is the direction you should shave. That will be WTG for that section of your face.
The other key is - no pressure! Or at least, only enough pressure to keep the blade on your face and cutting whiskers.
You likely need to work on angle too, but that will come with time.

Did I say no pressure?
NO pressure!

Might also want to test that AOS Sandalwood lather on the inside of your elbow just to make sure you're not allergic.....

Good luck and keep us posted.

Top Bottom