What's new

Anybody else affected by this plastic-bag ban nonsense?

Dunno about over there, but climate change in my lifetime (I'm 27) has decimated the bee population in this country, we have very few butterflies any more, wasps and other flies are scarce now compared to 10 or 15 years ago. Visible changes to our climate in such a short space of time are pretty damned scary, and not something to be dismissed as not a real problem. If removing a few plastic bags can help reduce these effects, then why not?

If it wasn't for legislation, we'd probably still have asbestos and lead paint in our homes, and leaded gasoline in our cars. When it comes to the environment, the "right thing" often costs corporations money, and so we need laws to enforce responsible manufacturing and consumption.

Banning Plastic bags is a Stupid idea.
Also, I Don't get why Everyone is so worried about our Enviroment When there are Real Problems out there.
for Example:
Crime
and Keeping our soldiers safe.

Polluting of the environment is a real problem.

Keeping our soldiers safe? What does that even mean?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Dunno about over there, but climate change in my lifetime (I'm 27) has decimated the bee population in this country, we have very few butterflies any more, wasps and other flies are scarce now compared to 10 or 15 years ago. Visible changes to our climate in such a short space of time are pretty damned scary, and not something to be dismissed as not a real problem. If removing a few plastic bags can help reduce these effects, then why not?

I think it's that wood people are burning for barbecue.

In a perverse way, this almost makes me miss the crazy political threads we used to have. At least in those the level of outrage could be seen as commensurate with the gravity of the issues being discussed.

If it wasn't for legislation, we'd probably still have asbestos and lead paint in our homes, and leaded gasoline in our cars. When it comes to the environment, the "right thing" often costs corporations money, and so we need laws to enforce responsible manufacturing and consumption.
It ends up costing the consumer more money. Taxes and regulations are just carried on to us. If it's a legitimate problem (I'm not saying plastic bags aren't a problem, just speaking in general), then I have no problem paying more, but sometimes we have laws and regulations put on us without full knowledge of the subject matter. I've seen politicians from both left and right completely ignorant about something they want banned or heavily regulated, and it can end up with an inferior product left for us and/or higher prices with no benefit. Asbestos, lead paint and gasoline were legitimate problems, no doubt, but I've seen some really badly designed legislation and proposed legislation on other things.

Banning Plastic bags is a Stupid idea.
Also, I Don't get why Everyone is so worried about our Enviroment When there are Real Problems out there.
for Example:
Crime
and Keeping our soldiers safe.

I didn't realize these were mutually exclusive. I also think we are not addressing the big problems, like violins on television and making Puerto Rico a steak.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Many of the stores in Ontario Canada implemented a 5¢ per bag eco fee back in late 2009 if I recall correctly. It has had a positive impact in a few ways:
  1. 70% reduction in the number of bags used
  2. You don't see loose bags under bushes and caught in the branches of trees and beside highways etc.
  3. Funds raised are used for environmental projects - this is contentious though as the companies involved pick the projects and the relation between the funds collected and what is spent is not transparent.
  4. Greater awareness. Even at those stores where they still give away bags, if I only have two items I can carry them in my hands.

I still end up with more plastic bags than I need and I put many into the recycling bin for the municipality to recycle. I do buy biodegradable bags for when I walk my dog. Some municipalities (not mine) allow dog waste in biodegradable bags to be added to our wet kitchen waste bins. The wet waste is composted with the resulting finished compost being available to the public free or at minimal cost.

Certainly responsible people have figured out how to use grocery bags for garbage and for carrying their lunch and shoes to work etc. But, do we really need kitchen catchers or is this marketing getting us to use a disposable product? For many the can under the counter can be emptied into the can sitting in the garage or beside the back door with no bag required. Especially in my case where all wet waste is being handled separately.

Certainly responsible people have figured out how to use grocery bags for garbage and for carrying their lunch and shoes to work etc. But, do we really need kitchen catchers or is this marketing getting us to use a disposable product? For many the can under the counter can be emptied into the can sitting in the garage or beside the back door with no bag required. Especially in my case where all wet waste is being handled separately.

I don't know what a kitchen catcher is, but around here, the trash that goes in our city provided trash cans has to be in bags.

Well, actually I think it's a very good idea! This is one of the areas where state involvement can make a positive difference.

We have a couple of cotton bags that we keep re-using (washing them out now and then).

It ends up costing the consumer more money. Taxes and regulations are just carried on to us. . . it can end up with an inferior product left for us and/or higher prices with no benefit.

I agree with you here. Somehow the cost of doing things in a responsible way always seems to end up trickling down to the consumer, but the reasons for this are probably more appropriately discussed elsewhere.

In the meantime, back to the OP's question, I think it's generally a good thing that environmentally responsible behavior is increasingly becoming the norm. Like others here, I usually have a few fabric shopping bags in the car, and they're far superior than either paper or plastic from the supermarket. Having your own bags also allows you to bypass the whole issue if it annoys you. SWMBO started collecting shopping bags from our vacation destinations, since they're often provided gratis in resort hotels, and besides being a practical alternative to paper or plastic bags, they serve as a reminder of times spent in warmer, sunnier climes.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I think reducing plastic bags is a good thing for the reasons I've given. Unfortunately this will only put a tiny dent in the volume of waste headed for land fill or are incineration.

We are having difficulties with a decline in the bee populations here in Ontario Canada as well. To a large extent it is being blamed on the use of neonicotinoid pesticides in corn production. Earlier this year the European union has voted for a two year moratorium on the use of this class of pesticide. In North America studies are being done but not moratorium. In the mean time more orchards are setting up their own apiaries to pollinate their trees and bee keepers are moving their apiaries away from corn fields and working with farmers so that the farmers plant corn when the wind is blowing away from the apiaries. Scary stuff considering about 1/3 of crops depend on pollination.

I'm ok with it. I use my canvass bags for pretty much everything. I also have reusable bags for produce. Then I go home and crank my air conditioner to 65 and turn all of the lights on.

The only thing is I used to use the small bags for the trash can in the bathroom. But it's not a big deal, I dump it into my kitchen trash once a week and clean the can with soap and water every now and then.

I'm ok with it. I use my canvass bags for pretty much everything. I also have reusable bags for produce. Then I go home and crank my air conditioner to 65 and turn all of the lights on.

We don't have airconditioning ... we open the windows when needed.

I think that environmental protection needs government involvement. When you leave it to the "market", it is likely that nothing will change.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nowadays, I just back my car up to the checkout aisle and leave the engine running while they load the groceries into my trunk.

We don't have A/C either. Portland is the first place I've lived in the US that didn't have A/C in every home, but I really like not having it. There's only a handful of days here when it gets hot enough to really justify A/C anyway. Fresh air from open windows and doors is great.

Top Bottom