What's new

Apollo Razor found.

History:
This razor was manufactured some time between the years 1891 and 1945 based on the D.R.G.M. marking. the serial number 1284320 dates this this razor more accurately between 1932 and the late 30's
The Apollo brand was manufactured in solingen and are similar to Merkurs of that time.

This version is called the Ben Hur, based on the handle design.

This is a common razor and can be found in several variations by different manufacturers.
The handles tended to be made by a different company and can be found on a number of different brands, only the heads are unique.

original price 2,40 Reichsmark

This particular razor was Acquired by a Acquaintance of mine who got it at a estate sale.

He said it belonged to a German general, sadly he can not remember the name.

Th Razor
It is a three piece razor.
Ti is a well made solid hefty razor. the head is Quite angular. It comes together with absolute precision.

The Shave.
I found That the razor shaves well and cuts down stubble like panzer division.
The razor gives you very good control and cuts very close.
A third pass will not be necessary. one or two passes will take care of everything very cleanly, even if you have gone several days with out shaving or a week.
it may be a bit on the aggressive side.

$DSCN1549.jpg

Apollo razor in the travel case

$DSCN1538.jpg
$DSCN1540.jpg
$DSCN1541.jpg

shiny

Last edited:
I will include this razor it the Shave Wiki Apollo section. What is it called? The Apollo Ben Hur? I added-it to shave wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Apollo?redirect=no

This razor was manufactured some time between the years 1891 and 1945 based on the D.R.G.M. marking. the serial number 1284320 dates this this razor more accurately between 1932 and the late 30's
The Apollo brand was manufactured in solingen and are similar to Merkurs of that time.
This version is called the Ben Hur, based on the handle design.
This is a common razor and can be found in several variations by different manufacturers.
The handles tended to be made by a different company and can be found on a number of different brands, only the heads are unique.
original price 2,40 Reichsmark

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
From One Cut collection

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Did not know it was named Ben Hur. I got one as well (with the same numbers) . How did you come to the conclusion about the manufacturing date? Splendid razor I must say.
$DSC01176.jpg$DSC01177.jpg

Some additional info about D.R.G.M:

(Deutsche Reichs Gebrauschs Müster). D.R.G.M. registration was introduced 1891 and if you are dating items you should hold in mind that even during Allied occupation up until 1949, registration procedures remained untouched and still used the D.R.G.M. registration documents, which of course explains why D.R.G.M. marks can be found on products actually manufactured up until 1952 as the registration itself was valid for three years. As from the end of October 1952, all registrations were definately marked with 'Deutsches Bundesgebrauchsmuster' (D.B.G.M.) or simply with 'Gebrauchsmuster' or 'Gebrauchsmusterschutz'.
Source

Last edited:
I have one too - exact same razor but a bakelite case.
The blade gap is huge, makes for an aggressive shave - but it's a bit of fun!

Some additional info about D.R.G.M:

(Deutsche Reichs Gebrauschs Müster). D.R.G.M. registration was introduced 1891 and if you are dating items you should hold in mind that even during Allied occupation up until 1949, registration procedures remained untouched and still used the D.R.G.M. registration documents, which of course explains why D.R.G.M. marks can be found on products actually manufactured up until 1952 as the registration itself was valid for three years. As from the end of October 1952, all registrations were definately marked with 'Deutsches Bundesgebrauchsmuster' (D.B.G.M.) or simply with 'Gebrauchsmuster' or 'Gebrauchsmusterschutz'.
Source

Interesting stuff. I have this razor with D.R.G.M on the handle. I didn't know what it stood for or signified. Thanks.

If I could have two models of razors it would be Gillette & Apollo. I have the Apollo slant and regular. I'm appreciative of both. Very nice razor there OP;)

Top Bottom