What's new

Famous pipe & cigar smokers

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
There are countless photos of Churchill with a cigar in his mouth. This one is my favorite. I just ran across it on my hard-drive and wondered if there might be something like a Famous pipe and cigar smokers thread in this forum. Didn't find one, so here goes.

Churchill in this photo reminds me of a guy who lived in a $3/night hotel I worked in for a while when I was in high school (circa 1970). The hotel was built in the 1880s and on its last leg. There was a fairly large lobby (for a small town) with a row of heavy oak chairs lined up in front of a TV. A large fireplace centered on the wall behind the chairs. For some reason the only program I actually remember seeing on that TV was I Love Lucy. Anyhow, the hotel's guests were mostly old men (there were still a lot of WWI vets around then), railroad crewmen (Rock Island engineers, brakemen, etc.), traveling salesmen, and a few drifters. One of the old guys looked like WC's twin. I didn't make the connection back then.

$Winston Churchill with cigar and Rolex.jpg

Let me know if there is already a thread here like this, and I'll ask to have this one removed.

Last edited:
Cool idea. I hope people post pics with the person. I may start looking for a few to add to the post.

Red Auerbach and his victory cigars. I've always enjoyed this line about him: "Auerbach was known for his love for cigar smoking. Because Red made his victory cigars a cult in the 1960s, Boston restaurants would often say "no cigar or pipe smoking, except for Red Auerbach""

$Auerbach_Red-2.jpg

Top Bottom