What's new

The Bargain Table

Summer months are in full swing. I would imagine this is going to bring out our bargain hunters hitting the antique shows, and flea markets... Lets see what everyone finds in the wild, lets see what the summer months can collect and how many of sum guise, we actually have. Hard to beat (I think it was Larry) a Parker 51(Think it was a Parker 51) for under a dollar, but you never know

get out there hunt them down and make everyone else jealous

welcome to the bargain table

$GoodFleaPic2.jpg

Yeah, James, that was me...a sweet midnight blue Parker 51 for 50 cents (and that's in U.S. Dollars, even!). I'm still trying to top that one, but I'd probably have to have someone give me something for free! I haven't given up. I was out this past weekend hitting a bunch of antique shops. I found a couple of things, but nothing that qualifies as a sumgai deal!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Just some advice for the inexperienced or rookie hunters. Don't give up if you don't see anything at a shop or flea market stand. Always ask the proprietor if they have any old pens. Many times I've found they don't even bother to put them out on the shelf but have them stashed away in a shoe box somewhere in the back. The same thing goes for razors. Lots of merchants aren't aware that pens and razors can be collectible.

Just some advice for the inexperienced or rookie hunters. Don't give up if you don't see anything at a shop or flea market stand. Always ask the proprietor if they have any old pens. Many times I've found they don't even bother to put them out on the shelf but have them stashed away in a shoe box somewhere in the back. The same thing goes for razors. Lots of merchants aren't aware that pens and razors can be collectible.

Thanks for the tip, Larry!

I found this cool ink well yesterday
It was in an antique store so it wasnt a crazy good deal but I thought $15 was ok

Not the original pen...

The bottle cap has a stopper in it that keeps it from pouring out when it is upside down, when it is in the ink well it pushes the stopper up and lets ink flow into a reservoir where the pen goes..very cool

Im guessing it is from the 1940's...has that art deco look/feel to it
Still need to clean and polish it, should look nice on my desk!!
Anyone have an old Carter's dip pen they want to part with?
:001_smile

probably wasnt a dip pen in that Sled, I may be wrong though, But im thinking still a fountain pen

Frankly, I don't have much patience for doing the rounds of flea markets and yard sales, and that hurts my chances a bit. One day, though, I dream of stopping at one, and find a bunch of vintage pens I don't have yet at a dollar each.

For that matter, I wouldn't say no to Gillette Double Ring for $10. Hey, I can dream. And I just checked my records. Haven't bought any shaving stuff since I got an Ever-Ready Streamline in February 2012. Pens have kind of taken over.

That's an interesting ink well/desk set, Sled Dog. I think you did well for your money!

EDIT: Found this 1946 ad for sale on an Ebay BIN auction:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Did a quick Google search for Carter's Stylewriter, quite a few "hits", here is a 1947 ad (they got rid of the blue cat and the price went up 50 cents since 1946)

Top Bottom