What's new

Pocket Knives

Ive got to say that those knives look really nice... But $400 bucks for one?

I just carry around a Kershaw, or a Case. Though that Bear Hunter is pretty... and it's small... But at like $5 can I mention it here?

I just like stuff that does what it's supposed to do, but I'm not going to freak out about if I happen to misplace it.

Ive got to say that those knives look really nice... But $400 bucks for one?

I just carry around a Kershaw, or a Case. Though that Bear Hunter is pretty... and it's small... But at like $5 can I mention it here?

I just like stuff that does what it's supposed to do, but I'm not going to freak out about if I happen to misplace it.

The thing is, if you spend $400 on a knife, I doubt you will misplace it. I'm thinkin' some of the folks here don't realize that $400 isn't much for a custom piece of work. Check this out... Rick Eaton has sold folders for over $80,000. Yeah... eighty thousand. Everything is relative. If you make $15,000 a year, you buy a $5 knife. If you make $15 million, what's 40 to a 100 K?

The thing is, if you spend $400 on a knife, I doubt you will misplace it. I'm thinkin' some of the folks here don't realize that $400 isn't much for a custom piece of work. Check this out... Rick Eaton has sold folders for over $80,000. Yeah... eighty thousand. Everything is relative. If you make $15,000 a year, you buy a $5 knife. If you make $15 million, what's 40 to a 100 K?

Good point. I realize that $400 isn't bad for a custom piece of work, it's just that I would want something that I can carry around with me. I'm not one to just have something sit there for display not being used. At the same time though, I'm not a knife collector, and probably will never be. Of course, like you said, if I made a considerable amount more than I do, I may think differently about it.

Those Rick Eaton knives are pretty nice though. Too bad it's umm... 4 years pay or so for me...

I can appreciate the craftsmanship in a $400 knife and can see the attraction of carrying one on a daily basis. I, on the other hand, carry a pocket knife as a tool as did my father and grandfather. Both carried a Case which was kept razor sharp for work around a farm.

Years ago I settled on a small Swiss Army Knife which I carry at all times. It has met all my expectations over the years. It can open a can of chicken stock, remove a wall plate, open a bottle of wine, skin a squirrel, and remove a splinter from my grandsons finger. As one who believes that good design, regardless of cost, is a thing of beauty I feel my knife is also of great value to me.

It holds an edge well and I keep it sharp.

I am personally a collector, and user, of tactical automatics. These are some of the highest quality knives you can use. The materials used are usually the best on the market. This is a list of my current favorites, some of which I carry everyday. All listed are autos.

Microtech: Socom Elite 154cm
Socom Elite s90v
Vector 154cm ( this is one nasty knife! )
All of my Microtechs have 50/50 serrated edges.

Masters of Defense: Model 875 LCT/SBT

I have a few more that I do not have time right now to list. I just received a phone call and have to run. I will try to post some pics. of my collection soon. One more quick note though. If you are interested in these knives, please check out the local laws first. Some states do not allow these knives. In Maryland, however, we can own and carry them as long as they in worn in a belt sheath and not a pocket clip.

My dad and great uncle got me interested in pocket knives from a very young age. I have a few Cases, which I carry with me most often, a Swiss Army, a Buck, a Barlow and one that my grandfather carried that I have no idea who made. Seven in all, I think.

proxy.php

My dad and great uncle got me interested in pocket knives from a very young age. I have a few Cases, which I carry with me most often, a Swiss Army, a Buck, a Barlow and one that my grandfather carried that I have no idea who made. Seven in all, I think.

I have a Damascus steel Case with stag handles that I love, but never carry. I usually just carry a little Buck Companion. It's small enough to be comfortable in my pocket, strong enough to do almost anything, and cheap enough not to worry about.

Tim

I buy knives to use, and I figure the uglier, the less likely it is to disappear if I put it down and turn my back. My most recent acquisition a few days ago, a Buck pocket folder, lock-back, with a little stud for one-handed opening. Nice knife. Cost me something like twelve bucks.

M

modern man

I've got to get a knife.

Check your desk drawer. Should have some next to the pipe tobacco stash. :cool:

As for me.

proxy.php

The one in the middle has done me good. Also carry a Smith & Wesson.

M

modern man

I think that would be thought of more of a piece of work or art. Fine craftsmanship and all but I can still cut a rope with a K-bar and if I had the money I would still be cheap. :lol:

While it is not custom, I really like my Lone Wolf "Paul" pocket knife. It was a gift from my dad as he knows I am a sucker for carbon fiber :biggrin:

proxy.php

I can appreciate a custom knife. But I'm not sure I would use one. Certainly not a pocket knife, I think those have to be cheap (as in affordable, not poorly made). I carry a Gerber Air Ranger that was pretty inexpensive, but has served me well. The Cold Steel Pocket Bushman looks nice. The price seens right too, around $30.

Top Bottom