What's new

A Little Help with ADP

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend to me one of the Acqua Di Parma fragrances. I (and SWMBO-she doesn't like heavy musk) prefer masculine scents and I mostly wear TF Grey Vetiver, Tsar by Van Cleef and Arpels and occasionally TF Tuscan Leather.

I guess I'm a bit thrown off by the whole unisex fragrance concept. Any advice is appreciated.

I believe that Colonia Intensa is marketed as masculine, not unisex, fragrance.

I just read the base notes description. I think I was gettin confused with the variances of ADP scents. I'll have to get a sample of it. It sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just read the base notes description. I think I was gettin confused with the variances of ADP scents. I'll have to get a sample of it. It sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually prefer the original Colonia, but Intensa is very nice and may be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

I actually prefer the original Colonia, but Intensa is very nice and may be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Thanks. I suppose I could actually go to Nordstrom's or Saks and smell the samples. I just trust opinions around here more than those of the sales people...generally...

AdP Intensa is what I wear, although I've never tried Essenza I don't think. I've sampled Colonia and Assoluta though. Intensa is citrus and wood and very masculine. Not floral at all IMO. The other two that I've tried also strike me as masculine due to the lack of floral notes. If you've ever tried Penhaligon's Castile, it's almost exactly like AdP Colonia, but dries down a bit floral. If anything Castile is more uni-sex than AdP to me..... but AdP Colonia has always been marketed as uni-sex. Mostly because it's such an old scent (1916) that it was used back before fragrances were marketed specifically as "masculine" or "feminine".... and so both men and women alike wore AdP Colonia.

I'd recommend Intensa based on the ones I've tried.

Ben

AdP Intensa is what I wear, although I've never tried Essenza I don't think. I've sampled Colonia and Assoluta though. Intensa is citrus and wood and very masculine. Not floral at all IMO. The other two that I've tried also strike me as masculine due to the lack of floral notes. If you've ever tried Penhaligon's Castile, it's almost exactly like AdP Colonia, but dries down a bit floral. If anything Castile is more uni-sex than AdP to me..... but AdP Colonia has always been marketed as uni-sex. Mostly because it's such an old scent (1916) that it was used back before fragrances were marketed specifically as "masculine" or "feminine".... and so both men and women alike wore AdP Colonia.

I'd recommend Intensa based on the ones I've tried.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. I think I'll order a spray sample of Intensa. I tend to always go back to Tsar and Grey Vetiver but continue my quest for something different. I'm 40 years old so I tend to prefer the more smoky, green type scents. Anyone my age will remember their high-school hallways permeated with the scent of Polo green.

Can you describe it in simple terms to a fragrance idiot like me? Is it mostly a wood or vetiver scent? Not too floral?

A fresh masculine fougere, citrus opening to a mild floral rose-ish mid... a little patchuoli... Lilly of the valley... petitgrain, rosemary. A powdery, minty floral.

AdP Assoluta is designed by the same two guys that came up with Penhaligon's Sartorial. If you've ever smelled that one it might give you an idea of what kind of scents those guys do. On the other hand, Colonia has been around for about a hundred years so you know they're doing something right with it. It''s a timeless classic. It's an incredible summer scent with lots of bright, fresh citrus to start with and then settling down into a wonderful musky, earthy, warm scent. I've smelled all of their mailine scents and a bunch of their Blue Mediterranean line. The original Colonia and Assoluta are my two favorites.

I think I'll just order all the recommended samples from the decantshop. Sounds like I'll have to let the wife smell them all. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely lean toward the woody/earthy scents but I like the sound of the citrus scents. I'm sure SWMBO will as well, being italian and all.

I second Essenza. A very barbershop-like scent.

Some fruity notes on the top like bergamot and grapefruit. As it starts to dry I get some lavender, rosemary and maybe a touch of rose. Then at the dry down you have some very well pronounced woods - oakmoss, vetiver and sandalwood.

To me this is a masculine scent, but I'm sure some women can pull it off. I like it best in cooler weather though.

I second Essenza. A very barbershop-like scent.

Some fruity notes on the top like bergamot and grapefruit. As it starts to dry I get some lavender, rosemary and maybe a touch of rose. Then at the dry down you have some very well pronounced woods - oakmoss, vetiver and sandalwood.

To me this is a masculine scent, but I'm sure some women can pull it off. I like it best in cooler weather though.

Thanks. The woods and the citrus are great. I'll have to try and detect the rose. I'm not sure how I'll like that but I can't say I have much experience with the scent of rose (that I know of...).

Thanks. The woods and the citrus are great. I'll have to try and detect the rose. I'm not sure how I'll like that but I can't say I have much experience with the scent of rose (that I know of...).

The rose to be fair (if it's there at all) is probably more pronounced in the original AdP Colonia. I think it is barely detectable in Essenza.

Definitely give it a try first. Never "blind buy" a fragrance IMHO.

I think I'll just order all the recommended samples from the decantshop. Sounds like I'll have to let the wife smell them all. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely lean toward the woody/earthy scents but I like the sound of the citrus scents. I'm sure SWMBO will as well, being italian and all.

Great. Scents are entirely YMMV. So let us know which one(s) you like after giving them a try.

The rose to be fair (if it's there at all) is probably more pronounced in the original AdP Colonia. I think it is barely detectable in Essenza.

Definitely give it a try first. Never "blind buy" a fragrance IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. I made a blind buy with fragrance once. I wore it once and upon receiving negative feedback from the wife, I PIF'd it.

I don't have the best nose, having broke it badly twice and getting surgery. It's not unusual for me to miss the "subtle" notes in fragrance.

I'm 39 and definately know what you mean about Polo saturated high schools.

Based on what you say you like, the AdP Blu Mediterranean has a lot of great scents, including Tuscan Cyprus, which may be right up your alley. You can't go wrong with your decant shop plans but if your budget allows maybe try a Blu Med sample pack.

Top Bottom