What's new

9 Craft Beers You Didn’t Know Weren’t Craft Beers

Nice blurb from Coolmaterial about brews made by the big boys, that pass themselves off as "Craft Brews". Some of the more seasoned fans of Micro Brews probably know all these brands. Personally it makes no difference to me whether a beer I like is made by a small brewery or one of the big comglomerates. But's an interesting blurb nonetheless.

"Is there really anything wrong with drinking a beer you think is a craft brew only to find out it’s not? No, not really. That said, if you don’t like having the wool pulled over your eyes and actually want to support smaller, independent breweries, you might want to be wary. The truth is, a lot of these supposed “craft” beers don’t adhere to true craft beer rules. Here are a few."

proxy.php

Redhook

Like many others, Redhook Brewing began as a craft brewery back in the 80’s. Since then, however, it has formed the company Craft Beer Alliance Inc. (with Widmer and Kona) and Anheuser-Busch InBev owns about 35% of the company. Redhook

proxy.php

Goose Island

Goose Island is a bit of a sad one for us. The truth is, you can still get some really fantastic beer from them (seriously, go get your hands on some Sofie Paradisi and Bourbon County Stout), but a lot of the standard offerings are now outsourced. Anheuser-Busch InBev shelled out a cool $38.8 million to buy all of Goose Island back in 2011. Goose Island

proxy.php

Blue Moon

Blue Moon has taken a bit of heat over time because, while it almost always includes a slice of orange, it never includes mention on the bottle or can that it is made by MillerCoors. It’s part of a growing trend of the big companies trying to be part of the craft beer scene as slyly as possible. While refreshing and delicious, Blue Moon is definitely not a craft beer. Blue Moon Brewing Company

proxy.php

Shock Top

Despite this Consumer Reports article that lists Shock Top as one of the best craft beers, it is in fact not craft at all. It’s an Anheuser-Busch product clearly aimed at inserting themselves into the craft beer market. Shock Top Beer

proxy.php

Magic Hat

Magic Hat had all the makings of a great craft brewery when it opened up shop in the early 90’s, but their story got a little fuzzy. It’s not that they were scooped up by MillerCoors or Anheuser-Busch, but rather they bought Pyramid themselves and enticed North American Breweries (the company that owns Labatt and a few other imports) to purchase them together. Magic Hat

proxy.php

Pyramid

For a reason, see above. Pyramid Brew

proxy.php

Leinenkugel

Sorry Leine fans, but your beer is about as far from a craft brew as they come. First of all, they’re owned by SABMiller, so you got that, but they also use adjunct ingredients for flavor enhancement (a craft no-no). We know they’ve been around for ages and deserve their props, but they’re not technically “craft.” Leinie

proxy.php

Third Shift

Third Shift is a little more upfront about the fact that it’s made by MillerCoors, it says so in tiny letters on the labels. In fact, it’s their attempt at a foray into the craft beer world. Still, the limited availability and marketing make it clear that the folks at MillerCoors are seeing if they can give off a craft beer vibe. Third Shift Brewing

proxy.php

Kona

If you’ve been to Hawaii, you’ve had a Kona. Actually, you can find them all over the place (36 states to be exact), not just on the islands. Why? Probably because they sold 35% of the company to Anheuser-Busch InBev (same deal that went down with Redhook). Kona Brewing

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/9-craft-beers-you-didnt-know-werent-craft-beers/

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out. I only knew about half of these being non-craft beers. Ever since I heard Goose Island was bought out, I don't purchase their product anymore. After all, there are so many great true craft beers out there, why bother drinking these?

Cool, I knew about Blue Moon and Shock Top... funny enough I Blue Moon is the only beer I drink in Vegas when I'm not at Sin City brewing and Shock Top was the best beer at my campus pub when I was doing my schooling a little while ago.

Interesting read!

Goose island beera were bad news for me, only beer that I have respect for is Sofie, because it makes my gf enjoy a beer with me lol.

I knew most of these. Though I don't really discriminate against large breweries as long as the stuff they're putting out tastes good (sadly, most of the time it doesn't...).

Interesting, I too didn't know that Goose Island was an InBev brand. I haven't drank their beers for very long but I do enjoy them and hopefully they don't go downhill like a lot of the other beers acquired by InBev that I think have definitely dipped in quality/taste (Hoegaarden, Leffe, Stella)

I knew most of these. Though I don't really discriminate against large breweries as long as the stuff they're putting out tastes good (sadly, most of the time it doesn't...).

+1 If it's good, I don't give a damn. Funny, on the list of "cheap beers" posted the other day, I said I would expect Leinenkugel to be in that list. Craft beer? Not in a million years. But pretty good for regular cheap beer. Looks like they might have a line they are trying to pass off as craft, though (based on the picture in that article).

I actually like some of the kona beers. Blue moon isn't that bad, their vintage blonde ale was decent. I had the 312 and the regular IPA from goose island, i thought they were bland. But then i had the sofie and that was quite good.

I actually like some of the kona beers. Blue moon isn't that bad, their vintage blonde ale was decent. I had the 312 and the regular IPA from goose island, i thought they were bland. But then i had the sofie and that was quite good.

Goose Island has a couple of brew pubs in Chicago and they offer up some really nice brews you can't normally buy in stores. I like most of their offerings off the self. But I have to agree 312 is kind of "meh". Same goes with their Greenline.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of Kona. I'm in the "if it's good I'll drink it" camp. However like franz mentioned, not many of these are very good anyway. Love the Goose Island Matilda and Sofie and buy them once and awhile. Also when there's not much choice some of these are much better than the regulars.

How small does a brewery need to be to count as a "craft beer"?

I haven't had any of those beers, but I had my share of beers from European small breweries. However, it sometimes saddens me to see how many of those are swallowed by the giants, like Heineken and InBev.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have never considered whether a beer is a "craft" beer or turned out by a major brewery when I'm buying as long as it tastes good.
I've had my share of crappy beers from major breweries, but I've also had my share of some downright nasty "craft" beers, so "craft" does not translate directly to "better".

+1 If it's good, I don't give a damn. Funny, on the list of "cheap beers" posted the other day, I said I would expect Leinenkugel to be in that list. Craft beer? Not in a million years. But pretty good for regular cheap beer. Looks like they might have a line they are trying to pass off as craft, though (based on the picture in that article).

Yeah I always thought Leinenkugel is weird one to classify because it's not readily available around the country. Here in Chicago Leine's has been available in every liquor store, super market and gas station for as long as I can remember. It kind of floats in that narrow space between the big boy brews and the microbrews.

I hear a lot radio commercials for Leini's and they do a good job marketing themselves as this small Wisconsin backwoods family brewery. While in reality they're owned by Miller. But regardless I still love a Summer Shandy in the summer.

Last edited:
Being purchased by InBev has actually been a good thing for Goose Island. They moved production of the everyday beers to a beer factory which has opened up more production space for the more isoteric and rare brews which means that there is more available, which is a good thing. Bourbon County Brand Stout was stellar this year. They have also been able to being back some of the more rare offerings that haven't been around in several years.

Top Bottom