What's new

Can someone run down the Gillettes?

Now that I've got a few variations of the Merkur line (fixed head, slant, adjustable), I'm craving something a little more nostalgic and want to try out a Gillette (or three).

I've read the Wiki and while it has a good list, some of the detail is lacking.

I get the impression that Super Speeds and Fat Boys are the two more popular models, with the big difference being the adjust-ability of the Fat Boy.

But from you, the users...what are the big differences other than the obvious. There are a lot more options as far as Gillettes go so can someone give the uninitiated a quick rundown of the differences in the more-readily available Gillettes and what to look for.

I want something I can use, so no Toggles, thanks!

for reference, I would rank my current razors:

Merkur Slant
Merkur Progress
Merkur HD
Merkur 38c

It is a difficult question. I dare to say: you can shave with everyone of them. I don´t think that writing about shaving characteristics will help you so much, you have to try it for yourself.
A razor you surely can never go wrong with is one of the various incarnations of the Superspeed. You seem to like razors a little bit on the aggressive side, so why not try a Red Tip?

The only vintage Gillette I've got, as opposed to Merkurs of which I've tried a large variety, is a 1963 slim adjustable. It shaves at least as well as the Futur, and better than my 25c, 38c and slant. Its given me the best shave with a merkur blade of any razor I've got.

Top Bottom