What's new

Shameless Dime Store Aftershave fan

I like Skin Bracer. I like the Barbasol Brisk version even better as it has a bigger menthol kick. But the only thing I've found that is better than AV Ice Blue, is vintage AV Ice Blue, the fragrance is great. The only thing I've found better than vintage AV Ice Blue is even older AV, before it was blue.

I like Skin Bracer. I like the Barbasol Brisk version even better as it has a bigger menthol kick...

I like MSB too but the older CVS brand version has a better menthol kick too. The packaging has changed on that but I'm going to run out soon and I hope the actual AS is the same or better. I bought both the Barbasol Pacific Rush and the Brisk but so far I have only tried the PR. I'll try the Brisk tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

The Nivea has taurine. I find that intriguing. Fresh, modern, and aquatic. I think it is great stuff.

This magically appeared at my local Rite Aid. If it was there before this past weekend I never saw it. I bought the Energy and I really like it so far (2nd day in a row).

Yes just like with the VEG is for many and CELLO Shave Soap is for me.

Now this is some good stuff.View attachment 456169

This bottle is identical to the Family Dollar Spice I bought recently for only $2.00. The only apparent difference is the label and mine says "Family Dollar" on it and there is something else like "Satisfaction Guaranteed" in place of the "Ivy Club" but even that circle looks the same.

I got a bottle of Barbasol Pacific Rush yesterday for $1.75 at Dollar General. My wife says I smell like a fresh ocean breeze. Works for me!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looking for an AS with extra parabens. Thanks in advance.

I always make sure I eat an extra serving of soy, flax, beans, cherries, blueberries, carrots, olives, strawberries and cucumbers, and then rub honeysuckle over my face to get maximum paraben doses.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So I was just at the drug store and they had "Tres Flores" (Three Flowers) for $4. Anybody have experience with this one?

It's a sort of "toned down" Lilac Vegetal without the Lilac.
It is reminiscent of cut grass and sort of vegetative, but with no earthy undertone and no lilac.
It's not bad.

I have AD for all things shaving, but have a special place for value or inexpensive AS. I visiting my Mother last week and found Stetson AS, Iron AS, and Old Spice Fresh Scent AS and cologne in my old room. These are from the late '80's or early '90's when I was still living there (does that make them vintage?). The scents aren't great, but my den just got a little bigger.

I have AD for all things shaving, but have a special place for value or inexpensive AS. I visiting my Mother last week and found Stetson AS, Iron AS, and Old Spice Fresh Scent AS and cologne in my old room. These are from the late '80's or early '90's when I was still living there (does that make them vintage?). The scents aren't great, but my den just got a little bigger.

I don't know about vintage but they are shameless.

I am a shameless dime store aftershave fan.
I have no problem admitting that.
While I appreciate top shelf frags, my "daily drivers" are all of the drug store variety;
The Veg, Aqua Velva, Clubman, Old Spice etc.

I saw a bottle of "Stetson" last week and decided to give it a run.
I bought a bottle and brought it home for testing. While the scent isn't all that great, it isn't bad either - so it passed the sniiff test. I put some on and noticed right off the bat that this is not your average splash.
No alcohol sensation whatsoever. On drydown, it also felt very "oily". One of the top ingredients is a healthy dose of castor oil.

While the alcohol shortcoming was easily overcome by the addition of some Everclear, I wasn't able to overcome my aversion to the oil. It was bad enough that my next shower resulted in a greasy slick feeling as I showered.

Stetson may be for you, but it's definitely not for me. It clearly is an aftershave balm masquerading as a splash.
If you are looking for a balm, but want to pretend you're using a splash, and don't mind a timid, banal scent, this is the stuff for you.

As for me, I'll keep on the lookout for the next great cheap splash.

Anyone else use this stuff and have an opinion?
great thread. clubman is great just bought a bottle of it and cheap. i actually prefer it to old spice which was my dads favorite.

Bought a second AV Musk today as I seem to have misplaced the first one.
Finding it a bit too sweet, but it does the job well.

Top Bottom