What's new

Looking To Buy a Flea Market Razor? Look Here!

I
Had to share this. It's a buy it now on ebay for 135.00. It's listed as a Bartmann 170 7/8. Can you tell what's wrong with that description?

Ha! It's a beautiful full hollow...missing about half it's spine-to-edge distance. Ah, those spine-tapers... :lol: Slash?

It ain't a 7/8. Must have breadknifed the thing or dropped it and it cracked along the belly of the grind. 135? More like trash bin, tho the scales look nice..

Last edited:
I

Ha! It's a beautiful full hollow...missing about half it's spine-to-edge distance. Ah, those spine-tapers... :lol: Slash?

It ain't a 7/8. Must have breadknifed the thing or dropped it and it cracked along the belly of the grind. 135? More like trash bin, tho the scales look nice..

Tragedy isn't it, but you're right. The scales are beautiful.

Keep an eye out gentlemen. I'm not the most experienced at this, but all I saw was a couple chips that would be too easy to hone out.... Received the razor, and alas, a 1/4" crack just far enough in that I can't make it a shorty :thumbdown

$WB1.jpg

I just found this one on eBay UK described as shave ready!

View attachment 396833

You know, for the right price, I'd still pick that one up. Fili 14? Some resto? Elbow grease on the hones? Yeah, she might still come out a shaver, at least. Depends on just the thinness of the grind and the depth of the rust. Still, I've honed and (still) use razors with large holes in the blade (metal lacework is my ultimate dream razor, to be honest with ya). Maybe the rust just helps that along? ;)

Last edited:
Gotta love the bay:

The blade is approx. 13/16 inches at his widest.
It shows wear, rust and there is a few small crack in the celluloid (see pictures)
Overall it needs a good cleaning

$bad1.jpg
$bad2.jpg

Well, maybe, ok - but that doesn't look like something I couldn't fix on the blade with a little elbow grease, and this might be something quite pretty by the time I clean it up..

.. but let's look through all the pictures.. not just the ones with page thumbnails.....

$bad3.jpg

Obvoiusly the little cracks in the scales were much more important to mention than *the one in the blade*.. run away.. run away...

I have nerver tried a straight razor before and I want the full exoerience of harmony a dealen razor can provide. My plan is to buy two razors, one a little cheaper like 20-30$ and another one for 100-140$. The cheap one is for practising honing because I dont want to ruin the the other one. The question I got for you guys is how do I know if the blade is stainless or carbon steel? I have quite a few chef knives and in my experience knives basen on carbon steel is better to hone and get a little bit sharper. So any tips? Im planing to purchase my gear on ebay. I apoligize for spelling miatakes and grammar error, english is not my first language.

Top Bottom