What's new

Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap

My wife complains about her skin being dry after showering no matter what soap or body wash she uses, so I did some research to find the most skin softening soap and the overwhelming consensus was olive oil soap. I bought a gonzo (8 oz) bar of the Kiss My Face brand at Whole Foods for only $3.00 and thought I would give it a try for my pre shave face wash. Results? My skin never felt this soft from any other soap and, in turn, I had a really great shave. The only ingredients are: saponified olive oil, water, and sodium chloride (salt), so it is good stuff. The wife liked it too, by the way.

A great bath soap, I've got the verbena scented one. Haven't tried it on my face yet though. For the $ you'd have a hard time finding a better soap.

Love the stuff. I started using it as a pre-shave too when the cream I was using dried quickly. I call it my poor man's cube. I wash my face with it and leave it on my face in the shower to soften the whiskers, then I use it in combo with a cream (KMF cream works great too imo) for a nice slick superlather. Can't beat it for the price.

hullo there.

I also must bang the drum for this kind of soap - pure olive oil, no fragrances, colourings and other bumpf. gotta say it's so much better than the standard supermarket zest/irish spring/ivory/dove yuck-whatevers. super mild, yet produces a thick, creamy lather on the skin - don't even need a loofah or other such device.

my personal fave is Papoustani's - greece's largest exporter, i believe. they make BIG bars (250g or so) that are just saponified olive oil, water, and sodium choride as well. lasts a long time as well - 3+ months for me with regular use. i even use it on my hair (i have short crewcut) and it makes my hair really soft.

other recommendations would be Savon de Marseille in the big cubes (they age really well) and Aleppo soap from syria. Aleppo soap is handmade, very unprocessed, and cured - is as hard as a ROCK, lasts near-forever. most easily available from middle-eastern import/grocery stores, it's very popular throughout the middle east.

cheers,

-L.

hullo there.

I also must bang the drum for this kind of soap - pure olive oil, no fragrances, colourings and other bumpf. gotta say it's so much better than the standard supermarket zest/irish spring/ivory/dove yuck-whatevers. super mild, yet produces a thick, creamy lather on the skin - don't even need a loofah or other such device.

my personal fave is Papoustani's - greece's largest exporter, i believe. they make BIG bars (250g or so) that are just saponified olive oil, water, and sodium choride as well. lasts a long time as well - 3+ months for me with regular use. i even use it on my hair (i have short crewcut) and it makes my hair really soft.

other recommendations would be Savon de Marseille in the big cubes (they age really well) and Aleppo soap from syria. Aleppo soap is handmade, very unprocessed, and cured - is as hard as a ROCK, lasts near-forever. most easily available from middle-eastern import/grocery stores, it's very popular throughout the middle east.

cheers,

-L.

Thanks for the input, I will keep an eye out for these brands.

I really like Enchantes shaving cube. I use it to clean my face sometimes.

I really want to bite into one of those cubes from Savon de Marseille. They LOOK amazing.

I'm a big fan of KMF and an even bigger fan of the Savon De Marseilles.

I bought a bunch of the 300 gram bars (olive and palm oil versions) this summer when I was in France and cut them in half so they would be easier to use - this was only possible because they were quite fresh. I've allowed them to dry rock hard and they're fantastic.

Any all-vegetable oil or glycerine soap will last much longer if you allow it to dry completely between uses (i.e., use a soap dish rack that allows water to drain).

The olive oil soap can be used to shave with on its own if you're in a pinch.

If you're impressed w/KMF olive, then you'd be blown away by some good aleppo or marseilles soap. I picked up a bar of KMF olive and it didn't do too much for my skin, but I have such dry skin in the winter that hardly anything will work.

Issy soaps are really really good, but I must be rough on my soaps b/c they only last about 2 weeks. And at $7 apiece, that's not good for my checkbook.

Well Jay, now I know where all the Issy's OO soap went!!
I really like his 80% OO, as do my wife and daughters. Unfortunately most of his soap is out of stock right now.

I agree there are "better" olive-oil soaps out there than KMF. Papoutsanis comes to mind, in addition to those that others have pointed out. Mittchel's Wool Fat soap is fantastic as well, but it is not an olive-oil soap.

However, having said that, the most moisturizing soap I have found so far is shaving soap or cream! :eek::eek:

Try it, it's amazing. Not all of them perform equally well in terms of producing lather. Still, using a pouf, they are all more than adequate. I have tried a lot of creams (TOBS, Trumper, Nivea, Palmolive, Weleda, Speick, Florena, and some others) as well as soaps (MWF, Mama Bear, Charles, and others), and they all worked great. That is a good way of using up creams or soaps that one doesn't like or don't perform that well.

Best - MM

I bought a bar of KMF olive oil soap today while I was at Whole Foods, mostly out of curiosity spawned by this post. I've never used olive oil soap before, but I just washed my face with this stuff and I seriously can't believe how good my skin feels! I can't wait to try some of the other brands that you guys mentioned!

Top Bottom