What's new

How many shave brushes do you own?

Three Omega Boar & one Maggard synthetic. They all whip up tons of lather except the Omega boar 11777 22mm knot which IMO sucks.! The Omega Pro 49 is fantastic & so is the Omega boar 40033. JMO.

To many, currently 16 and most of them are custom made.

$IMG_4839.jpg

Five, but one (synthetic) is under SWAMBO's care and another is out of rotation. I keep a boar and two badgers that see regular use.

RazoRock Plissoft

Semogue 620
Semogue 830
Semogue 1800
Semogue SOC Boar in Cherry Wood & Ash Wood
Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood
Semogue 2015HD Silvertip ---> Just got this today in the mail

Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger
Simpsons Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger

I own six brushes. Now that I have been doing this for several years, I really think you need only two brushes. A good Badger and a good boar hair brush.

Muhle synthetic fiber (great brush)

proxy.php

Semogue owners club boar (also a big fan)

proxy.php

Muhle synthetic travel brush (no pics)

Van der Hagen badger (first brush)
proxy.php

I am down to 4. I pif'd all my others

Omega 10048, use it as a talc brush
Semogue 1305; my go to most days
Custom Oak Handle Silvertip Badger - use with all creams
Omega-11047 Mixed Midget for travel

all I need

According to my wife.....too many. I've been at the wet shaving with a brush since January 2016. Yep. I'm a newb. And I now have 7 brushes. Hopefully in order of purchase:

Art of Shaving Pure Badger (came with travel kit from my wife as a gift)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger with faux ivory handle
Schone Synthetic
Schone Boar
Plissoft Monster
Parker King Size Pure Badger
Plissoft (regular - used for travel)

I've been using most of them in a regular rotation but some are now being used more than others. I really like the big brushes so the Parker and the Monster see the most use. The two Schones I bought because I liked the shiny metal handles but I'm not crazy about their performance. The boar is ok but seems to shed a bit and the synthetic is too floppy for my tastes. No backbone. Both Plissofts have tons of backbone and are soooooooo soft. The only thing I can think about possibly adding to the collection might be a Silvertip but I'm not willing to pay big money for one and I won't buy a used brush. That's just my own pet peeve. I'll buy used razors but not brushes. Frankly, my two Gillette Techs are probably my favorite razors, but that is for another forum.

I only need and use one brush. Right now its a frank shaving best bagder, its not the most dense knot but it has a good balance of softness and backbone. I will be upgrading to a 30mm silvertip brush from Larry at Whipped Dog soon. The best badger brush will be PIFed assuming anyone would want it.

Top Bottom